Adapting shows and movies into L5R

By MirumotoOrashu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Just now, Duciris said:

Thanks! I never remember which is which (and I am ashamed to say I've only seen the anime :( ).

Tis alright. The pedant in me needed to point out the difference. And I highly recommend seeing it, it's one of the top movies of all time and provides the basis for a lot of modern plot ideas. (Such as gathering a group of heroes for a quest... sound familiar?)

6 minutes ago, RavenwolfXIII said:

Tis alright. The pedant in me needed to point out the difference. And I highly recommend seeing it, it's one of the top movies of all time and provides the basis for a lot of modern plot ideas. (Such as gathering a group of heroes for a quest... sound familiar?)

Fair point, but I submit Arthurian legend - explicit his search for the Holy Grail - and the writing of Tolkin also had some influence on questing. ^_^

Most detective movies could be adapted, probably to a large number of rpg settings. Depends on the creativity/motivation of the GM.

15 hours ago, HenrySpock said:

Most detective movies could be adapted, probably to a large number of rpg settings. Depends on the creativity/motivation of the GM.

That's a remarkably good point, which inspired me to remember Cadfael, a medieval monk who's a retired warrior.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:17 AM, HenrySpock said:

Perhaps as magistrate stories?

On 7/18/2018 at 6:41 AM, MirumotoOrashu said:

What about just doing all of star wars? :P

Instead of a Galactic Republic, you have the Rokugan. Some conspirators make sure there will be a huge conflict and then it turns out the Emperor is the BBEG... then an ex-noble gather a ragtag army to fight him...

Have each part be its own story?

Also: the old storyline seems to have had a lot in common with star wars xD

Well star wars is hidden fortress....

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, mouthymerc said:

Much like many westerns were adapted from samurai flicks, I am sure the reverse could be done.

Indeed. Replace "US Marshal" with "Emerald Magistrate" and take your pick of Wayne and Eastwood's best.

13 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

That's a remarkably good point, which inspired me to remember Cadfael, a medieval monk who's a retired warrior.

Indeed. Both for plot (you can adapt and abuse a few elements because something akin to the Anarchy is quite believable if a clan or major vassal family has a succession crisis*) but also for what sort of clever clues you can offer without either modern crime technology or shujenga 'a-wizard-did-it' solutions.

* Knowing that several Clan Champions are female, it looks like Rokugan goes in for primogeniture by default but doesn't differentiate by gender, though, so you may need to tweak the plot slightly.

10 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

* Knowing that several Clan Champions are female, it looks like Rokugan goes in for primogeniture by default but doesn't differentiate by gender, though, so you may need to tweak the plot slightly.

An interesting point is the current Lion Champion. He was the elder son, but voluntarily retired to a monastery to let his younger, more aggressive (and liked) brother become the Champion. But, at the start of the narrative (the second or third story) Arasou was killed without children, and Toturi was summoned back from the monastery to become Champion.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Ah yes - those started out as novels. My mom and I used to love the show. :)

I am adapting The Bridge using Beiden Pass, myself. There is somebody on Reddit that's looking to do something using Downton Abbey, which is brilliant.