Tales from the Madlands: All-Devouring Locust

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Two games against @Church14 with his dreaded uthuk, now with zoidberg scuttle included.

I'm playing Latari as usual (really need to dust off the waiqar).

My list

200/200
Aliana of Summersong [33] 1x1
Reaping Blade [4]
Ambush Predator [3]
Total Unit Cost: 40

Leonx Riders [24] 1x3
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 28

Leonx Riders [24] 1x3
Column Tactics [4]

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 14

Aymhelin Scions [25] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]

Deepwood Archers [42] 3x2
Maegan Cyndewin [10]
Fire Rune [7]
Close Quarters Targeting [3]
Total Unit Cost: 62

Church14s list

198/200

Flesh Rippers [22] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 22

Spined Threshers [72] 3x2
Wind Rune [6]
Scuttling Horror [3]
Total Unit Cost: 81

Ravos the Everhungry [40] 1x1
Viscera Goblet [7]
Insatiable Hunger [3]
Total Unit Cost: 50

Berserkers [37] 3x2
Warsprinter [3]
Aggressive Shrieker [5]
Total Unit Cost: 45

Our first game is unprepared, me with red side, running supply raid. I have player 1.

Setup: 8M8Pd3u.jpg

I want to see Ravos fall, so I devote a lot of forces to the left side. Church stacks his heavy hitters on the right.

Turn 1: I unpack my army nearly flawlessly, except for one bump. Church brides his time with Ravos and the Rippers, while his zoidstar scuttles towards the waiting latari. oNIDx2V.jpg

We both are hesitant to throw any units forward on the left as neither has an upper hand.

Turn 2: The game of waiting with our jaws open continues on the left, but I'm running out of time as the zoids close on my right flank. SyWInGC.jpg

In hindsight, I should have moved the scion forward on the left, it would have pressured church into moving ravos or start taking ranged damage.

Turn 3: This turn could have gone better. Aliana smashes a tray of rippers, and makes them flee in terror, this inadvertantly makes their dialed in charge go off, which bounces on the scion. My long-tailed cat units are having difficulty turning in the corner, and do not end in good spots to assist alliana, uh oh. yLQhyXm.jpg

My scions lose a tray blocking the oncoming zoids, and my archers shift and use their fire rune.

Turn 4: Ravos devours Alliana, cat and all. My left leonx repositions poorly after charging the rippers, and the scion lays some fire into Ravos. The zoids roll poorly and don't clear the scions and the archers fire a dismally underwhelming barrage at the zoids. pGgEmqI.jpg

Warsprinter is the upgrade giving me a lot of trouble, I always forget about it. Such is the case when churches zerkers slam into my cats flank and take the back 2 trays. However, my cats remain free of engagement after the attack due to how closing in works, so they run away.

Turn 5: The leonx in front of Ravos bank charges and catches a flank on Ravos, they roll well, putting more wounds on him (he would have died by now if not for viscera goblet. The battle is rapidly turning in churches favor. GYriDGM.jpg

Turn 6: My last Leonx is 1 wound short of killing Ravos, sigh, so close. The deepwoods get flanked and charged, losing the back rank. They fire into the zerkers using CQT. ir4o5wM.jpg

Turn 7:

bnyFSan.jpg

Ended tabled.

Things to consider. I need to pair units off better and arrange them in ways to support each other when engaging.

Scuttling zoidbergs is frustrating, but has similar counterplay to the cat bounce, not a big fan of that card though.

If you come at Ravos, you only get one shot. Ravos must be killed in a double or triple tap attack on the same turn. His combat power, plus mobility and adding viscera goblet means the only way to deal with him is quickly before he feeds and heals again.

I find that on paper meagan embedded looks great, but find it very limited in practice.

Thanks for reading, I'll get the second report up soon, stay tuned.

The crabstar with windrune and scutteling horror seems a pain too predict. In turn two maybe you could have moved and re-formed with your leftmost lenox? For a potensial flank charge on the crabstar. On the first look of the played list i do think from the latari perspective that there are multiple threats on the Uthuk side (Ravos, Crabs and Zerkers) while un the Uthuk side with those tanky crabs i dont see a dammage dealer able to threathen them substansialy. Thus in my opinion you would needto outplay and avoid direck engagements....

im not a big fan of the Leonx Riders [24] 1x3 with Column Tactics [4] for a t otal unit cost of: 28. Here is my reasoning; you could get as much threat/dammage of the 2x1 for [18] points. The tray-cost of the first is approximatly [9,33] and the latter one is [9]. Thus for your two 1x3 with column tactics =[56] you could get three 2x1 for a more flexible army (more flanks?) = [54]. Maybe the 1x3 is stronger vs armor but vs Uthuk armor is hardly the problem.

If the meagan upgrade isnt working for you on the Deepwood archers maybe give her too a Lenox rider? and Blackthorn Assasin could be a nice upgrade for removing those dice...

I agree in your annalysiss of how to handle Ravos with high burst dammage. However im not shure rushing him before he rushes you is the way to go. Maybe it would be possible to get him in your archers feeld of fire for some chip dammage? Setting up the right Sicon too meet Ravos would be a good option for giving him the imobilise token and setting up a potential charge on him later.

Great report by the way :)

Edited by Datskor

I need to revisit the 2x1 leonx, it's been a long time since I ran one ( I think the first game with an elf core...). I find even a 1 tray cat with enough surges still packs a punch.

I find I like meagan best running solo, although I'm looking forward to her embedded in ventala.

Latari will stop suffering uthuk unsloughts when they get darnati as a frontline unit. Pesky small darnati units using armor ups are going to be hard for uthuk to crack.

11 hours ago, Jukey said:

Latari will stop suffering uthuk unsloughts when they get darnati as a frontline unit. Pesky small darnati units using armor ups are going to be hard for uthuk to crack.

I agree that Latari may miss the standard infantery unit as a blocker/bulk but im not shure if they are whats going to phush them over the top vs Uthuk. I see infantery mostly as blockers for Ravos i guess. Not a general blocker, in that role i belive the Sicons with their imobilise on colision and potensial stunn is a betther option. Ventala is going to be interesting for their builds. Just like the crossbowmen a unit capeble of a three threat ranged attack can be scarry espessialy when you can late move that attack for a incredible range. I also think prince Faloan in a army with lenox and sicons with vicious roots for imobilize and flank charges could be good. Faloan wil hopfuly wourk great in a army like this with his brutal and re-roll and quite easy setup/manuvering for flanck charges. Almost makes me regret investing so much in Daquan :P