Homebrewn Dunwarr Dwarves! [Updated Aug 10th]

By Maktorius, in Runewars Miniatures Game

1 hour ago, Zaaik said:

I think this is a very cool project and would like to see more, I still check it out.

Do you not need one of those heroes to have a cavalry form though?

Thanks, I'm happy to hear that! And Yes! the cavalry champ is on my to-do list. I'm thinking Grisban with his "party" ability, but I can't decide wether to also use the bland white dice or to use the Brutal 1. The latter would be devestating on the 2x3 with column tactics as it would give 4 threat charges with 4 dice (plus the stun!) :D

I'm open for suggestions :)

Just saw the link to this in another thread.

Looks good. What do you think about giving a heavy infantry either cover1 or fortify1? Defense 2 is most likely too good, but defense 2 in melee, or defense 2 vs shooting could work. Could have both as upgrade options to the same unit, so its one or the other. You could even havevit be a two sided card, with skill to flip.

11 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

Just saw the link to this in another thread.

Looks good. What do you think about giving a heavy infantry either cover1 or fortify1? Defense 2 is most likely too good, but defense 2 in melee, or defense 2 vs shooting could work. Could have both as upgrade options to the same unit, so its one or the other. You could even havevit be a two sided card, with skill to flip.

Thanks!

Are you refering to the Skewerers or a new unit? The former does have the "option" to go to 2 defence but it's not innate (almost though ;).

I really like your idea of a card that is flippable!* Seems like it's a good way to simulate a "stance" (though I think the colors of the dials are called "stances" in the rulebook, but both of these types of planning and executing is the sort of stuff I like, in contradiction to Scuttling horror stuff :)

*I was going for somethinh like that with the hero Raythen and his Brews. But it might have gotten a bit unweildy ;)

Edited by Maktorius
7 hours ago, Maktorius said:

Thanks!

Are you refering to the Skewerers or a new unit? The former does have the "option" to go to 2 defence but it's not innate (almost though ;).

I really like your idea of a card that is flippable!* Seems like it's a good way to simulate a "stance" (though I think the colors of the dials are called "stances" in the rulebook, but both of these types of planning and executing is the sort of stuff I like, in contradiction to Scuttling horror stuff :)

*I was going for somethinh like that with the hero Raythen and his Brews. But it might have gotten a bit unweildy ;)

I was thinking a new unit. IMO, any wargame needs at least 10 unit choices in a faction. Giving the dwarfs an elite heavy infantry seems fitting. And, I'd make them rather slow (like reanimate speed) to represent the heavy armor and shields (and balance how hard it is to kill armored up infantry); especially as they stack shield wall and/or defense up on top of the rest.

20 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

I was thinking a new unit. IMO, any wargame needs at least 10 unit choices in a faction. Giving the dwarfs an elite heavy infantry seems fitting. And, I'd make them rather slow (like reanimate speed) to represent the heavy armor and shields (and balance how hard it is to kill armored up infantry); especially as they stack shield wall and/or defense up on top of the rest.

Are you sure the Skewerers aren't filling the Heavy Infantry slot? Your description of HI does sond like them to me :)

Are those 2/2 cav Two per Base? If so, they might be too durable.

I'm not keen on a left side skill for the Skewerers. They could wind rune into combat with shields raised. Seems unfair.

I like skewerers, but really like my idea of a flip upgrade. Can't add the flip upgrade to the skwerers though, they'd be too good.

On the ballista, not enough damage. Two blue is very little hitting power for a warmachine. I would add (shoot: gain brutal 1) (OR, change the shooting dice to 2 white dice); shot requires line of sight, does not require range.

This is pretty wild. All we need now is some orc units. Nice to see that some are putting in an effort for this.

This looks really great, I like the idea of a traditional dwarf army without the guns and cannons seen in so many other games. Was this ever finalized?

On 6/29/2020 at 3:54 AM, paulinthehills said:

This looks really great, I like the idea of a traditional dwarf army without the guns and cannons seen in so many other games. Was this ever finalized?

Thanks!

One of my gaming group's members gave up on the game when it was cancelled (so we were down to the uneven number of 3 players), and I was hoping for some testing help from this forum, so it sort of fizzled out (I'm still playing with my kids now and then though). If someone wants to do some testing and send me feedback I can still happily update the designs though.

Somebody made a lot of STL files for dwarves in kickstarter: http://kck.st/3gn9AZ3

If there are any Dunwarr enthusiasts with a 3D printer, this could be used for their army :D