Now that the game is out, which version of the rules are reprinted? 1st, 2nd or revised 2nd?

By jaytapp, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

I sure hope they reprinted the at least the 2nd edition rules as the 1st version was pretty broken.

Having the og 1st might make me regrets ordering the books :(

Edited by jaytapp

It’s the original edition, of course.

It's an anniversary edition reprint, not a remaster. It's intended for nostalgia and collectors.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, jaytapp said:

I sure hope they reprinted the at least the 2nd edition rules as the 1st version was pretty broken.

Having the og 1st might make me regrets ordering the books :(

It was clear from the first moment that it was 1st edition.

It’s 1st Edition, and I’m not sure what you mean by “broken”? Subsequent editions added a lot of unnecessary crunch, and extra rolls which defeat the whole point of the system. 2nd Edition frankly “broke” a lot of aspects of the system like allowing character attribute improvement which quickly exploded player die roll pools after only a few games.

Just a quick read of the books (I haven’t played, let alone read the 1st Edition rules in well over 20 years), and it’s been a revelation. The initiative system is far more intuitive in this system, and scaling is so much easier. The system is far more narrative especially in relation to space combat.

The handful of areas that needed tweaking were mainly fixed by the Rules Upgrade which came with the Campaign Pack (GM Screen) which came out a few months after the original release. You can easily find a PDF scan of the Upgrade on the inter webs.

I've really been shocked how much 1st Edition and FFG Star Wars share in their DNA, in terms of how to run an adventure. Heck I’ll probably whip out my old 1st Edition screen and run a few adventures for my gaming group.

Edited by Gallandro
2 hours ago, Gallandro said:

like allowing character attribute improvement which quickly exploded player die roll pools after only a few games.

Quickly? Advancement in just about any area was slow. Attribute improvement was at a glacial pace.

Under the standard 2nd R&E rules, players were awarded minimum 3-15 points a session. If you had a solid gaming group who got in the spirit of things, and met at least semi-routinely you could accumulate points super fast. Most players I knew horded their points to buy attribute improvements as it raised EVERY skill under the attribute rather quickly.

At least the 1st Edition rules make you spend for each skill. Per 1st Edition rules players are awarded 3 to no more than 10 points a game. So if you want to get stronger, buy into Lifting. Which makes total sense. You don’t suddenly get better at swimming and brawling because you got stronger. You don’t suddenly become more knowledgeable about everything by improving INTELLECT.

1 hour ago, Gallandro said:

Under the standard 2nd R&E rules, players were awarded minimum 3-15 points a session. If you had a solid gaming group who got in the spirit of things, and met at least semi-routinely you could accumulate points super fast. Most players I knew horded their points to buy attribute improvements as it raised EVERY skill under the attribute rather quickly.

At least the 1st Edition rules make you spend for each skill. Per 1st Edition rules players are awarded 3 to no more than 10 points a game. So if you want to get stronger, buy into Lifting. Which makes total sense. You don’t suddenly get better at swimming and brawling because you got stronger. You don’t suddenly become more knowledgeable about everything by improving INTELLECT.

You're forgetting three very important things:

1) Character points are used for advancement, but they are also spent in-game. This is very important when you have to spend them on that dodge roll to not get hit or the Strength roll to not die when you do get hit. Those spent points are no longer available for advancing anything.

2) Raising attributes takes 1 week per character point spent or two weeks without a trainer. You can't train anything else during this time. You can reduce it by 1 day per additional character point to a minimum of 1 week.

3) Attributes have limits. For humans, this is 4D. You can raise the attribute past this value, but it gets harder and harder because you have to roll to see if an attribute increase actually happens. This occurs after the character points and training time are spent. If you succeed (by tying to roll under the GM's roll of max attribute) then your score goes up. If you fail, you only get half of the character points back (and none of the training time) and gain nothing from the attempt. As you're trying to roll low, you can't even spend character points to help with this roll.

So, using this, Bob (a human) can try to raise his Knowledge from 2D+2 to 3D. This costs a base of 30 character points and three weeks of time (Bob has a teacher). Bob wants to get this over quickly, so he spends 10 extra character points to reduce the time to the minimum of 1 week (in WEG Star Wars, weeks are 5 days long). Now Bob's player rolls his 3D and gets a 12. The GM rolls 4D and if the GM rolls 12+ then Bob's score rises to 3D. If not, then Bob gets back 15 character points (half of the cost) but is out 15 character points (half the value), the week of training time, and the 10 character points spent to reduce the training time. If that happens, it sucks to be Bob.

So you can have awesome attributes, but it costs a lot in both character points and time (including points and time spent on failed attempts).

On 7/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, Swordbreaker said:

It's an anniversary edition reprint, not a remaster. It's intended for nostalgia and collectors.

It's a remaster. There are subtle differences in text flow. It's a REALLY GOOD remaster, tho'.

2 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

1) Character points are used for advancement, but they are also spent in-game. This is very important when you have to spend them on that dodge roll to not get hit or the Strength roll to not die when you do get hit. Those spent points are no longer available for advancing anything. 

2) Raising attributes takes 1 week per character point spent or two weeks without a trainer. You can't train anything else during this time. You can reduce it by 1 day per additional character point to a minimum of 1 week.

Neither is true in 1E .

Page 15: "You can spend skill points to increase your skill codes. (You can never increase your attribute codes.)" (Later, it allows for upgrading ships, too.)

It's not until 2E that the term changes to Character points, and the other uses (+1d to a skill roll one time, 10x dice to get +1 pip attribute) come in.

Not that many of us didn't house rule it in other ways. (I used double cost, but spend a force point as well, for raising attributes before 2E. That really kept it slow.)

Edited by AK_Aramis
1 hour ago, AK_Aramis said:

Neither is true in 1E .

I think you failed to read the post I was following up on. We were discussing changes in the game from 1e-2eR&E, in particular the increasing of attributes. Your subsequent points were not in question, nor were they at all helpful.

Edited by HappyDaze