Super Lost Here

By CEOWolf, in Mansions of Madness

App says Bad guy is doing something horrible Lore test negates (2) the heck that mean? I gotta beat a 2? Another is either giving me a +1 or -1 to roll do I roll more then 5 dice if possible? I don't have more than 5 but could roll a 'dead' dice... Also it'll say Suffer 3 damage (awareness negates) but doesn't say what I gotta roll o.O

Also be helpful if the app tells me where monsters are just in case I forget (specially when it tells me to add like 5 monsters at once...)

Is it cheating if I just shuffle Spell discards into a new deck? You only get like 5 spells...

Edited by CEOWolf

Hi CEO Wolf. Welcome to the game! It takes a bit to get your head around the app to start with and then you're away! We're loving it.

Anyway, re your questions:

1) Lore test means you need to conduct a skill test using your Lore value (the number next to the book icon on your character card). That number tells you how many dice you roll. The next step is to see how many success symbols come up (the eldritch star symbols). If you get magnifying glasses (clues) and have any matching clue tokens (magnifying glasses), you can 'spend' these to convert any clue symbols you roll to additional successes. The (2) in brackets tells you what your target is - in this case, how many successes you need to get on a Lore test to overcome (negate) the challenge. Does that make sense?

The +1 or -1 modifiers change the number of dice you get to roll . So if you had a Lore value of 5, but the text said there was a -1 in effect, you would only get to roll 4 dice, instead of your usual 5. Make sense?

Check out p13 on Skill Tests in the rulebook.

2) Re the app telling you where the monsters are - the app can't do this for you. It always tells you (and shows you) where the monsters appear, but on the monster turn (ie Mythos phase), it will say things like, "This monster moves three spaces towards the nearest investigator." The app doesn't know where you move your characters of course, so you'll have to do that stuff manually.

It's important to view the app as a game-aid, not a digital version of the game.

Hope that helps - do persevere with it. Once you work it out, it's a phenomenal experience unlike anything else.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, CEOWolf said:

App  says Bad guy is doing something horrible Lore test  negates (2) the heck that mean? I gotta beat a 2? Another is either giving me a +1 or -1 to roll do I roll more then 5 dice if possible? I don't  have more than 5 but could roll a '  dead' dice... Also it'll  say Suffer 3 damage (awareness negates) but     doesn't say what I gotta

For these tests you take the damage, then you roll your test. In this case you roll you Lore, every success 'ignores' (aka negates) one damage.

For example you have a lore of 3, the test states "suffer 3 damage (lore negates)".

You roll your three dice for lore and get one success. You take 2 damage (3 damage - 1 success rolled).

Also    be helpful if the app tells me where monsters are   just in case I forget (specially when it tells me to add like 5 monsters at once...) 

The monsters move randomly, towards or away from investigators. There is no way for the app to track their position, as there is no way for the app to track the investigators position.

Is it cheating   if I just shuffle    Spell discards into a  new deck? You only get like 5  spells  ..        

Each spell has 5 cards, when you gain a spell shuffle its deck and take one card. That's your spell.

When you use the spell, resolve the effects on the back card and return it to the spells deck (there is no discard pile), then shuffle the entire spells deck (all 5 cards) and pick a new one. You will always have a 1/5 chance of pulling the same flip side effect of a spell.

It calls this out in the rule book.

1 minute ago, scrubbless said:

For these tests you take the damage, then you roll your test. In this case you roll you Lore, every success 'ignores' (aka negates) one damage.

For example you have a lore of 3, the test states "suffer 3 damage (lore negates)".

You roll your three dice for lore and get one success. You take 2 damage (3 damage - 1 success rolled).

The monsters move randomly, towards or away from investigators. There is no way for the app to track their position, as there is no way for the app to track the investigators position.

Each spell has 5 cards, when you gain a spell shuffle its deck and take one card. That's your spell.

When you use the spell, resolve the effects on the back card and return it to the spells deck (there is no discard pile), then shuffle the entire spells deck (all 5 cards) and pick a new one. You will always have a 1/5 chance of pulling the same flip side effect of a spell.

It calls this out in the rule book.

Oh okay cuz I played once last year and they said once you used all spells in a deck you can't get new ones and don't shuffle em.

Oh okay cuz I played once last year and they said once you used all spells in a deck you can't get new ones and don't shuffle em.

Not sure where the person you were playing with found that rule... The Rules Reference, page 17 explains any other questions you might have regarding the use of spells.

One more thing regarding Damage and Horror. You'll eventually find events that will give you both. Whatever test you are using to counter can be used to negate whichever of the cards you would like. For example if you suffer 2 Horror and 1 Damage and roll 2 successes, you could use this to get rid of one of each or both Horror cards.

And don't forget that Damage/Horror is dealt face-up unless the app specifically says 'face-down'.

Ah also think the app broke I got all the right symbols in symbol puzzle but it didn't do anything when I got em right.. (though I forgot I only had 5 attempts though with it taking 3 turn technically probably woulda died by Rley opening and all heck busting loose...) The LCg is a lot easier to win....

Which one? - Are we talking about one of the Mastermind versions`?

If so, you wouldn't be the first player to have trouble with these.
You not only have to find out all symbols that are being used, you also
have to find out which symbol goes where.

The app tells you that a symbol is in it's right place by using the success symbol, however,
it doesn't tell you which one symbol that is, which of course makes it more difficult to solve.

(From the rules: "The app will mark each incorrect guess with a
number of success results () and investigation results ().

Each success indicates that a single piece of the guess is the correct piece
and is correctly positioned within the code. Each magnifying glass indicates
that the guess contains a single correct piece, but that piece is not in the
correct position."
)