Tales from the Madlands: Old Rivalries

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Today I got a game in with our resident Daqan player @Conscientious Objector (who I will refer to as CO for this batrep). We played Demoralize their forces with unprepared. I chose 2nd so I ended up with the blue side. Terrain was 2 rocks and a spike

Here's my list

195/200

Maegan Cyndewin [36] 1x1
Reaping Blade [4]
Martial Magic [3]
Total Unit Cost: 43

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Fire Rune [7]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 26

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Dispatch Runner [7]
Wind Rune [6]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 49

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1
Vicious Roots [3]
Total Unit Cost: 17

Leonx Riders [40] 2x3
Aliana of Summersong [12]
Raven Tabards [2]
Metered March [2]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 60

I don't have CO's list but it was a spearstar with marching cornicern, an oathstar, and a 2x2 rallyspear.

J5aKdJr.jpg

I stack my forces in the right corner to play around the rock and spikes, meanwhile my leonx will threaten the flank.

Turn 1:

HekEhSy.jpg

CO rallies and waits to see if I'll attack or form up defensively. My units move tentatively forward while the cats stalk along the flank.

Turn 2:

Sq78DSL.jpg

CO pushes hard with his spearstar, while reforming with the oathstar to stare down the leonx. My leonx are now facing a battle they cannot win. My deepwood units settle into prime sniping positions. Meagan gets hung up behind the small deepwoods.

Turn 3: I missed the picture here. The cats and horses came in close to each other. The scion dodges the spearstar and the deepwoods cut into the rallystar, while it charges the fire rune deepwoods.

Turn 4: cyLLRky.jpg

The leonx come in hard, taking down a full rank of oathsworn. The oathsworn hit back with equal fury. Meagan and the scion reform to face the spearstar. The deepwoods bring the rallystar down to 1 tray.

Turn 5: Theres another picture missing here I think. CO misread a cat bounce that didn't happen so I got another tray of the oathsworn. And the scion catches the spearstar with a flank charge.

Turn 6:

WPX83Vt.jpg

The cats die, should have bounced out. The scion dies. Meagan plunges into the fray, only to realize she likes killing trash mobs and not armored targets. The archers have an equally hard time chipping at the armored spearstar.

Turn 7: 0Yhiqjn.jpg

CO reforms and armors with the spearstar. Meagan and the archers keep on chipping away. Oathsworn reform to come say hi to the deepwoods.

Turn 8:

RONccuy.jpg

The spearstar can't get enough damage to drop meagan (due to bad rolls). Meagan closed in as well, pic was taken early.

We got confused on the turns, and thought there was one more, so here's the bonus round.

bzBywUx.jpg

Saved by the bell from getting splatterpainted by oathsworn.

Ended with Latari leading by about 40 points in the end.

Afterthoughts.

Latari have a lot of trouble busting armor. Even raining in 3 shots a round the spearstar actively took damage for 4 turns and was still on the battlefield. Daqan are tanks.

I enjoy wind rune shenanigans around small obstacles. Very useful.

Actually got a little mileage out of storm sorceress, I will be revisiting it.

Proper pairing is everything, and leonx really don't pair up in a flat fight against anything. They have to hit and run, or die. This makes me excited for lay of the land.

Thanks for reading!