Miniatures

By Enfid, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hi all,

I recently read Genesys and RoT pdfs and it got me excited about GMing again. Being a miniature wargamer at heart, I love to use miniatures (or failing that, paper stands) for combat. Though it is largely unnecessary for Genesys, I still love it for the immersion factor and as a memory aid.

What do you think about choice of miniatures? Descent? Runewars (TMG)? Use generic fantasy stuff (like Reaper's)? I'm debating the pros and cons for each, but will probably pick up a box of Runewar's Reanimates and one of Descent's smaller boxes to see the minis and try to paint them up soon.

Runewars is a great resource for specific "races" like the Uthuk; I got the Uthuk starter set for my campaign because they have a unique look.

For other races like humans, Undead, and Latari, I think you can get away with using other ranges.

However, it is my understanding that the Descent miniatures are smaller than the Runebound ones, so you may not want to mix them.

I plan to use my GW Moria goblins as goblins, GW dwarves as dwarves, my Frostgrave barbarians as Isheim humans, and I've bought some Shadespire, Warhammer, and Mierce Miniatures skeletons for my Reanimates.

The other miniature that I think is unique (but a little expensive) is the Runebound Golem. Maybe one day...

I dabble in panting, but I'm not very good at it. So for my money, I prefer WotC's prepainted minis from back in the 3.5 days.