A Stereotypical Silvan Deck

By dalestephenson, in Strategy and deck-building

Dale, have you modernized this deck with the availability of Thranduil?

I don't think Thranduil will ever overcome the lead the Celeborn-Galadriel-Haldir combo has in deck count. But at some point it may be interesting to make a Stereotypical Thranduil deck.

Probably not. Thx.

General question, Is Thranduil an upgrade or just a change?

Edited by Bullroarer Took

Yes, but I am quite sure since his introduction there will be more decks with Thranduil (and the couple) than with Haldir. It is a normal disadvantage of latter issued heroes, I suppose.

Here's the current count (unique creators) for Celeborn/Thranduil decks:

12 with Galadriel

2 with Leadership Imrahil

1 with Tactics Imrahil

1 with Gildor Inglorion

1 with Tactics Legolas

1 with Haldir

1 with Balin

1 with Tactics Imrahil

That certainly justifies a Stereotypical Silvan Deck (Thranduil edition). There's 15 creators that have made a non-Celeborn Thranduil deck, and only three who have made an Elven-King deck without Thranduil (one of which is the classic Celeborn/Haldir/Galadriel lineup).

Still, I like to give some time for an archtype to settle, and for more cards to come out (which is why I haven't made a Stereotypical Dale deck yet). ringsdb doesn't have Mount Gundabad yet, and there's a couple of Silvan cards in there; and we still don't know all the cards in the final pack of the cycle. After the cycle is done I'll need to generate Dale, Beornings, Woodmen, and also new Silvan, Eagles, Dwarven Mining, and Hobbit decks. I can't think of another cycle that both created and affected so many archtypes.

Yes. It is better to wait.

And to weigh in on the other question, in my opinion, Celeborn, Galadriel, Thranduil makes for the most fun and also most effective Silvan deck. Haldir is a great hero but he requires heavy attachments deck (to function properly) whilst the Silvan deck is primarily about allies and events (to a lesser extent). Thranduil is great for resource smoothing and makes some of the Silvan allies so much more powerful, especially off the Leadership and Tactics sphere.