Has anyone made custom 'gators?

By Get_Rad, in Mansions of Madness

Has anyone made any custom investigators? Here are a few I made. If you end up using any please let me know how it went. Cheers!

These are fantastic ! Well done you.

Not for Mansions, but mostly because you can't select them in the app. You could choose a replacement, but I feel like the app knows, to some extent, if you needs spells or weapons at the start of the scenario.

Lovecraft's ability is a hoot! ?

Edited by Soakman
On 7/6/2018 at 4:25 PM, Get_Rad said:

Has anyone made any custom investigators? Here are a few I made. If you end up using any please let me know how it went. Cheers!

I actually have made custom Investigators (not shared yet), but would love to be able to create custom cards. Your cards are so close to looking like the original cards. Is there a template available to create these?

On 7/6/2018 at 3:06 PM, Soakman said:

Not for Mansions, but mostly because you can't select them in the app. You could choose a replacement, but I feel like the app knows, to some extent, if you needs spells or weapons at the start of the scenario.

Lovecraft's ability is a hoot! ?

I've been going back and forth on this for awhile. I don't think the app generate scenario items/ variables based off the investigators chosen with the exception of Ashcan Pete (Duke) and Kate Winthrop (Flux Stabilizer), everything else seems to be drawn at random from a pool associated with the scenario. There's fan made app called Valkyrie that allows you to custom create characters/scenarios but I haven't delved too far into it as it's only available on Android.

Thanks, I had someone else on another board tell me it was "pretty insensitive", but I think Lovecraft's racism is a really sad and important part of his legacy and I didn't want to ignore it. Plus it adds an interesting mechanic that might make him difficult to play as.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:26 PM, Phoenix_FFG said:

I actually have made custom Investigators (not shared yet), but would love to be able to create custom cards. Your cards are so close to looking like the original cards. Is there a template available to create these?

https://github.com/redwolf2/valkyrie_content_creation_kit_mom

Edited by Get_Rad

I think assigning assets is a little more complicated than that. I know, for instance, that there is one scenario where no matter who I choose as investigators, you are always given a copy of poison mist despite other assets being random.

I don't know why this is the case except that there are multiple enemies in the encounter and perhaps they thought you needed the mist to deal damage to multiple targets at once? This seemed to be the case regardless of whether I had spell user or not.

It's not a huge problem, but it's one that I don't want to sub things in for because I don't understand how it works. There are a lot of design choices that are pretty opaque because of how much information is hidded from the players by the app.

3 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I think assigning assets is a little more complicated than that. I know, for instance, that there is one scenario where no matter who I choose as investigators, you are always given a copy of poison mist despite other assets being random.

I don't know why this is the case except that there are multiple enemies in the encounter and perhaps they thought you needed the mist to deal damage to multiple targets at once? This seemed to be the case regardless of whether I had spell user or not.

It's not a huge problem, but it's one that I don't want to sub things in for because I don't understand how it works. There are a lot of design choices that are pretty opaque because of how much information is hidded from the players by the app.

I think that whenever you play w custom investigators you pretty much just gotta accept the fact that you're bending the matrix and there's a good possibility that everything could go off the rails. I would reserve most of these characters for gameplay with other experienced players who are ok with having an advantage. I haven't played most of these characters yet, and I don't think it would honestly be fair to the game if more than one were played at a time, unless you just wanted to smash through everything in your path. I actually want to put together a "dream team" and see how fast we can beat escape from insmouth.

Edited by Get_Rad
1 hour ago, Get_Rad said:

There's  fan made app called Valkyrie that allows  you to custom create characters/scenarios but I haven't delved too far into it as it's only available on Android. 

It's available on PC as well, you want to use it there if you're planning on creating content!

I created a guide for scenario creation, can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml_vF3ZoljjB6a8FjWGt8

Giving out common items will be problematic, as Scenarios give random items (and sometimes specific).

For example Herbert West has seditives, it's would be aukward getting an event that gives you them in the Scenario. Though not game breaking, could just grab another similar item from the pile.

Edited by scrubbless

These are really good, pleasantly surprised!
They almost made me wanna try and sculp the models myself! Love Lovecrafts "drawback", made me lol! ?

Just now, totgeboren said:

These are really good, pleasantly surprised!
They almost made me wanna try and sculp the models myself! Love Lovecrafts "drawback", made me lol! ?

Thank you! I'm in the process of using z brush and formlabs to print my own minis. Right now I've got Dr. Loomis printed, and I'm working on HPL. I'll keep you posted if you like.

1 minute ago, Get_Rad said:

Thank you! I'm in the process of using z brush and formlabs to print my own minis. Right now I've got Dr. Loomis printed, and I'm working on HPL. I'll keep you posted if you like.

Sure thing! But remember that if you wanna sell them, there might be copyright issues and such. ?

1 minute ago, totgeboren said:

Sure thing! But remember that if you wanna sell them, there might be copyright issues and such. ?

Considering how much of his work is in the public domain, I'm not super concerned, especially considering it's a 28 mm likeness sculpt. Do a search for HPL sculptures and you'll see how many artists are out there cranking our busts of Howard- I doubt they're all getting C&Ds from the remainder of his estate- assuming there is one. This ain't Star Wars. Besides, until I get a hard "No" the answer will always be "Yes".

Edited by Get_Rad

Yeah the Lovecraft-specific stuff should be fine (I have sculpted some on that theme myself), but the Hellboy, X-files and Evil Dead are certainly not,and could, if someone is a killjoy, cause you some grief.
Perhaps. Or not. :)

Just now, totgeboren said:

Yeah the Lovecraft-specific stuff should be fine (I have sculpted some on that theme myself), but the Hellboy, X-files and Evil Dead are certainly not,and could, if someone is a killjoy, cause you some grief.
Perhaps. Or not. :)

Oh yeah I'm not going anywhere near Hellboy, that's for sure. In part because that game just got funded and I wouldn't waste time re-sculpting minis that I'll own eventually anyway. Have you seen the minis from that game? They look sooooooo good. Likeness is a weird thing when it comes to copyright law. In reality all I have to do is change the names in the listing and it would be fine "Z-files- FBI Agents Mulden and Scurry" for example. Also for anyone looking for a legit Ash mini check out Studio Miniatures. They have TONS of great recognizable minis on that site. All with different names of the characters the represent.

Agent Mole-Dan and Agent Scurvy. :D
But you are absolutely correct, there are already lots of great models out there to count-as for all these. I know Hasslefree does a sort-of Hellboy which looks amazing (I own the model!)