Sands of Al-Kalim Alternate Endgame

By Ravnos Phantom, in Runebound

I like the Sands of Al-Kalim expansion, but I have one big wish:

Get us a card expansion that changes the endgame!

As it is it all feels anticlimactic to me. How about battling a sandstorm-Monster which tears your equipment apart? Anything that ends with a climax and not that "go there, roll that".

Much as i like your suggestion, an expansion for an expansion is probably not gonna be good sales material.

Perhaps design your own end-game encounter for it? There's enough out there in the expansions to draw ideas from, I would think. At least it would add the excitement you're looking for, and it could be done exactly the way you would like.

That's been done...in Runebound Vanilla and in Isle of Dread. Frankly, I think Sands endgame is a refreshing break from the standard "beat the big boss" ending. Been there, done that. Sands isn't about the "endgame", its about the whole game. You make progress toward victory as you complete your quests so you always know where you stand. I don't think that this means that the game ends in a whimper either. You still will need to kill at least one Red to get that last quest card, and the Reds are pretty challenging.

This is why Sands is my favorite big-box expansion. I even like playing it moreso than the base game (although the variant challenge decks are great for the base game.)