It's out - I got it - am I first?

By Scott Bot, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

They're most exactly the same as the books of old, so there isn't much to comment about, but I did love the updated ad pages at that back that advertise the other FFG SWRPG stuff instead of Ghostbusters and Paranoia, etc. The funniest was the replacement for the Han Solo collector's plate! The slipcase is nice, but I hated that unsavable paper wrap-around. Maybe should have been a double slip-case?

You probably are first. Mine's on track for delivery tomorrow, according to the tracking email I got several days ago.

My FLGS ordered one for me. It wasn't in yet. I checked yesterday, and no mail today...

Edited by AK_Aramis

mine came in about an hour ago...my little girl opened it and sent me pictures to tease me...now i have EVERYTHING for the D6 series

Got mine today! Still looking through it. :D

I checked again today... wasn't in the shop's order from Alliance. So, am jealous of EricaOdd, Scott Bot, and Archon 777...

My shop's order from Alliance came today, and I got it! It's done really well, and you can clearly tell this wasn't a simple scan-and-duplicate job — all the layouts were redone to make nice sharp text. Some of the images are slightly different, and the contrast on them is not as dark, but you can clearly see the details that got lost in blackness in the originals. Super happy with it!

In addition to these books, as it happens, I also received a couple of online orders of West End Games' STAR TREK board games from the 1980's. In the "Adventure Game" (a paragraph game not unlike Legacy of Dragonholt) the last three paragraphs are just adds for WEG's other games! I really miss that kind of humor, and it's exemplary of why STAR WARS was actually such a good fit for their company - people forget that the SW movies are as funny as they are, and that humor is a key ingredient to capturing it's flavor. Its why the Wizards of the Coast material failed so craptastically. FFG haven't exactly rolled in it either, but at least its there and sometimes very subtle. But the best thing about having the 30th anniversary books is to skim over things and finding those golden nuggets of humor. My favorite? The quote for the Loyal Retainer template: "Certainly m'lord. Yes m'lord. As you say, m'lord."

Edited by Scott Bot
spelling and clarity

Mine arrive on Monday :(

It's kinda' weird (but nice) I found them a day and a half B4 FFG announced their availability. Guess my FLGS jumped a projected street date? That said, all of you who are getting it ARE getting it at last, so not really a big whoop. Enjoy it to the last!

On 7/7/2018 at 2:53 PM, Scott Bot said:

Its why the Wizards of the Coast material failed so craptastically. FFG haven't exactly rolled in it either, but at least its there and sometimes very subtle.

Being consistently top-5 isn't good enough? For a few years, FFG had two game lines in the top-5 - 40K and Star Wars. It's really done quite well.

And Wizards didn't really fail all that bad. the 2 editions of SW d20 still have their fanboys (most of whom are also D&D 3.X fans), but shot the moon with Saga Edition. Which, while never catching on like WEG had, was still a heavily played, top-10 seller. Wizards/TSR didn't lose money on the license. It just wasn't enough to justify continuing it.

2 hours ago, AK_Aramis said:

Being consistently top-5 isn't good enough? For a few years, FFG had two game lines in the top-5 - 40K and Star Wars. It's really done quite well.

And Wizards didn't really fail all that bad. the 2 editions of SW d20 still have their fanboys (most of whom are also D&D 3.X fans), but shot the moon with Saga Edition. Which, while never catching on like WEG had, was still a heavily played, top-10 seller. Wizards/TSR didn't lose money on the license. It just wasn't enough to justify continuing it. 

I was referring to their use of humor, not their sales. FFG's SW RPG line is doing QUITE well for them, obviously. As for WOTC, their SW RPG lines did nothing but crash and burn right out of the gate, even after the SAGA edition cleaned up the system and made a valiant attempt to be playable at all. But there was no profit in it for them, most of the line was paid for out of their own pockets, out of their love of the brand. Only the MINIATURES line did well for them, and that paid for most of the publication of the SAGA edition. That said, the MINIATURES line wasn't even a fifth as successful as X-WING has been for FFG.

Chris Perkins noted on his blog that it had been successful as a line. I'll take the Line Lead over some random person on the net. He's quoth on Dwarven Forge's boards:

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3231

See http://web.archive.org/web/20100202104944/http://community.wizards.com:80/go/thread/view/75862/22320337/Wizards_of_the_Coast_announcement for the announcement Where Greg Yahn informed the public that the run was being killed because the projections were that it wouldn't succeed. Key word: projections. The economy was turning down, and they guessed they wouldn't be able to maintain profitability if they continued.

So stop slandering the edition you don't like, and start talkin about the ones you do.

Now, on a lighter note...

My FLGS says my copy of 30th should be available tomorrow for pickup.

Got mine yesterday.

Slipcase looks swish! Books are awesome - just packed all my other RPG stuff, D6 included, as I'm moving to a new apartment these days,

Although. The hard cover edge extends a lot further from the bound pages than usual, so the cover is, or seems, significantly wider than the usual cover for letter size books (I assume it's letter size, could be something else, but for it definitely isn't A4 :ph34r: ) or the pages are smaller. Who knows. Doesn't matter, I just noticed.

I'll probably never play this, as I played some 1st edition D6 with Sterling Hershey on Gamer Nation Con this past April, and while fun (I blew up stuff in fun ways!), the D6 1st edition is ... fiddly (granted, no one around the table had played it for a long time, so ... that was a factor too). I could probably do 2nd ed R&E again, with some minor adjustments... but then ... I have Coriolis, 2d20 (Conan), EotE, AoR, F&D and Genesys covering all my gaming needs, for the time being.

Mine arrived today and I had been eagerly been waiting for it.

Well I can certainly say that I'm going to select the Gambler template, add 2D to the blaster skill and make the GFFA's equivalent of a certain John Henry Holiday. ?

On 7/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, Scott Bot said:

They're most exactly the same as the books of old , so there isn't much to comment about, but I did love the updated ad pages at that back that advertise the other FFG SWRPG stuff instead of Ghostbusters and Paranoia, etc. The funniest was the replacement for the Han Solo collector's plate! The slipcase is nice, but I hated that unsavable paper wrap-around. Maybe should have been a double slip-case?

Well then, given that I still own the books of old, it doesn't seem like I need these. Unless somebody can tell me a compelling reason why I would.

1 hour ago, Deathseed said:

Well then, given that I still own the books of old, it doesn't seem like I need these. Unless somebody can tell me a compelling reason why I would.

Looks better on the shelf.

Seriously, it's the anniversary edition. It's a collectors object.

It's not there to be utilitarian.

2 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Looks better on the shelf.

Seriously, it's the anniversary edition. It's a collectors object.

It's not there to be utilitarian.

Look, if you don’t want them hold on to them awhile, then sell them on eBay

it’s a collectors item, limited run, it will go for a lot of money,

So see it as an investment, and maybe along the way you will want to keep it,

it looks amazing (got my copies today, “Happy Dance”)

all you nay sayers, see, faith

Ran into some financial hiccups this month but picked up my copy today.

The nostalgia is sting with this one.