SOB- Island Encounter Trap Question

By Starswords, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Can the Overlord play trap cards abourd the Revenge during Island Encounters?

There's nothing in the RAW that says he can't, however the FAQ recently came out and stated that no spawning could happen on the Revenge, so I kind of think the same should be for traps...

-shnar

Starswords said:

Can the Overlord play trap cards abourd the Revenge during Island Encounters?

Revenge spaces have the Revenge in them so aren't empty...

Not all trap cards require an empty space though, in any case. Dark Charm, for example (at least I don't think it does- I don't have the card with me to check).

YellowPebble said:

Not all trap cards require an empty space though, in any case. Dark Charm, for example (at least I don't think it does- I don't have the card with me to check).

True. I kind of assumed he meant space traps since they were the only ones that are location reliant (Door and Chests being move-action reliant rather than location reliant) and the OP asked about traps being played in a certain location.

But there is no reason that Dark Charm or Dance of the Monkey God, for example, would not affect heroes on the revenge. The same for door traps or chest traps should a door or chest somehow find it's way aboard the Revenge (Mata and Kata could conceivable get a chest aboard the Revenge IIRC).

Arrrrr, me loyal ferrets have swum back aboard with a chest- full of booty, I'll be bound.

*opens chest*

*chest explodes, blowing a hole in the Revenge and sinking it*

Heh, it seems kind of unrealistic to use the falling block trap, on the surface island level. where was the block, in a tree? :)

Chernobyl said:

Heh, it seems kind of unrealistic to use the falling block trap, on the surface island level. where was the block, in a tree? :)

Its waste from an airplane.

Adding insult to injury....

Wouldn't the scrub on the island levels count as being a non-empty space? Similar to corrupted terrain?

Hrm, that's a good question. We count the trees as non-empty, but we didn't think the scrub would be non-empty. As for the falling rock, we just felt it was a spring trap (catapulted from somewhere else).

-shnar

Jonny WS said:

Wouldn't the scrub on the island levels count as being a non-empty space? Similar to corrupted terrain?

Yes. The spaces aren't empty because they have scrub in them. Scrub is part of the collected list of Obstacles and Props.

Corrupted terrain is a special case though (it has it's own FAQ answer which is unique to corrupted terrain) and I don't think really relates to this question.

Given that the antagonist in Descent is a vastly powerful extradimensional being who has given himself physical form so he can overrun the world with hordes of monsters and powerful magic, I don't see it as being that difficult to accept that a rock can fall from the sky. There's even a plot in RtL that involves summoning comets, so summoning smaller rocks shouldn't be too difficult.

Corbon said:

Jonny WS said:

Yes. The spaces aren't empty because they have scrub in them. Scrub is part of the collected list of Obstacles and Props.

Corrupted terrain is a special case though (it has it's own FAQ answer which is unique to corrupted terrain) and I don't think really relates to this question.

So if scrub's not empty, then no crushing block or pit traps huh?

That's the point of the comment, me thinks. Though that doesn't mean you couldn't use Crushing Block on the sand areas...

IMHO, we're going to play that scrub counts as "empty" and that traps can be played as normal.

-shnar