Potentially dumb question

By Steel82, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I recently speed painted a number of models in preparation for tournament play. As a final step, I sprayed a single coat of army painter anti shine matte varnish over the models to protect them during play. I was considering adding a few more details to them but then thought- can I paint over the varnish?

Ive been painting for years but rarely varnish the models. So I bring this to you. Anyone have insight into whether this will work, or will it be a futile effort?

Thank you in advance.

How timely. I am having the same question. I have painted a bunch of Berserkers, but the red of the skirts rub off pretty readily, so I was thinking I should seal them before continuing to add skin and skirt highlights. But then I thought, "Wait, will the paint still stick on a sealed model? Hoping somebody with more experience can help us out.

Give it a quick spray of testors 1260 or similar matt varnish. That will give paint something to stick to.

Painting over varnish is not only possible, it's recommended. For example if you are going to use a wash, you can hit the mini with a very thin coat of gloss, the wash will flow a lot better on the smooth surface and give better results

8 hours ago, Corto said:

Painting over varnish is  not only pos  sible, it's recommend  ed. For exampl  e if you are going to use a wash, you can h  it the mini with a very thin coat of gloss, the wash will flow a lot better on the smooth surface and give better results  

This is also true. I know a guy who plays 40k and he sprays satin varnish after every step (base, shade, highlight), and finishes with matt. That way when you handle the model your basecoat doesnt chip and you reduce the risk of needing touchups as you advance the paint job.

16 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

This is also true. I know a guy who plays 40k and he sprays satin varnish after every step (base, shade, highlight), and finishes with matt. That way when you handle the model your basecoat doesnt chip and you reduce the risk of needing touchups as you advance the paint job.

Interesting! Now, obviously you should have the miniature mounted on something so you don't touch it while painting, but my painting is so slow that I often end up playing with unfinished miniatures once or twice. Sealing them with something between steps seems like a good way to go.

4 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Interesting! Now, obviously you should have the miniature mounted on something so you don't touch it while painting, but my painting is so slow that I often end up playing with unfinished miniatures once or twice. Sealing them with something between steps seems like a good way to go.

Agreed, but I would edit playing with unfinished miniatures everytime because I only ever get 95% done with anything.

Thank you gents for the replies! I had a feeling it would work out but put a lot of time into them already and was a little anxious I'd mess them up. You've given me the confidence to push forward without worrying about damaging the paint jobs. Thanks for the tips!

Here is Ravos the Everhungry in a couple phases of receiving his warpaint.

IMG_1792-c.jpg.1715dc842a8e8fcbed99666f50ebe743.jpg IMG_1791-c.jpg.2d3430c1a9b2cd4a34366d8105071d75.jpg

And a little closeup action:

IMG_1793-c.jpg.c2e9a5d5d90f3b1ccc04263afd45fb76.jpg

And next to one of his beserker buds. Course, I can't seem to find the little guy anymore...

IMG_1801-c.jpg.0db59e8763d275f528aa9ffcead61c7b.jpg