I think the Heroic Ability Activation FREQUENCY rules do NOT work. Here's why and a FIX

By Gamemasterbob, in Realms of Terrinoth

Per Session usage rules for Heroic Abilities in RoT does NOT work. The usage should (MUST) be in GAME TIME.

• What if the session passes 2 months of game time?- or a year?? It can happen. A Heroic Ability has to be MORE accessible and predictable or it becomes a Heroic Hiccup!
  • In my campaign HA (Heroic Abilities) can be used EVERY GAME DAY up to the current frequency of the HA.
  • This works and it's more fun. It feels more like the HA is part of the world this way.
  • NOTE: You can make the HA activation less frequent but it should NOT go more than 5 to 7 game days. This also requires more bookkeeping.
  • Heroic Abilities are fun and should be in the game MORE not less. The RoT activation rules are already costly and the abilities aren't really that BIG. Plus it takes a lot of XP to build a Bard-Song worthy HA. ( However, I would NOT lower the 50 XP cost per ability point if you change the activation frequency... )
  • The group should strive to be creative with HA. The GM should be generous and open to HA ideas; not cautious! It won't break the game.

My opinion. Happy gaming all.

Edited by Gamemasterbob

I agree that it should be usable daily at a minimum. If multiple sessions encompass the same day, then it's an eventful one and the HA should recycle more frequently as per rules as written. I'm sure there's some combination of HA and tweaks for it that would make me regret allowing it no less than once per day, but the limit certainly seems reasonable on the face of it.

Edited by Dragonshadow

In my own gaming experience it is far more common for several sessions to take place in a single in-universe day than the opposite. That being said, I see no problem with allowing once-per-session talents and Heroic Abilities to reset at the GM's discretion.

I only see a problem arising if players are triggering their Heroic Abilities three or four times a session, as that would detract from what should be special and momentous displays of what makes their characters unique. Also, it would make the Frequency upgrade less valuable.

Edited by O the Owl

That sounds like something that could work well, particularly if you keep a relatively consistent tempo across the campaign. I would think session length would be a far more important factor in deciding to change the frequency a HA can be used though. If you run 1-2 hour sessions with 5 pc’s then once per session is plenty. If you run 6 hour sessions then once is probably not enough.

But for my own personal tastes tying the usability to an in game clock could restrict my ability to tell a story. Sometimes I want a session where each scene happens on a different day, week, or even month. But the next two session could be the climactic end to a story and I could be running 12 encounters over two hours of in game time. That first session they get to use the their HA every encounter, then they only get to use it once in the next two sessions. Ultimately I find the Per Session limit more relatable to the players and easier to book keep, even if it’s not that tangential to the world the characters live in

Edited by Richardbuxton