Can you redeploy J4X-7 once he has been defeated?

By BootlegSaint, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hello Folks,

So we ran into this issue last night while playing last night. Running our Return to Hoth Campaign the Imp player defeated J4X-7 and I noticed he had a bullet point in his name which typically means that this unit can't be redeployed (once a unique Villian is defeated they can't be redeployed). Does this same rule apply to J4X-7 or did we make a mistake? Thanks!

Companions are not allies. Also, abilities on cards override generic rules, i.e. Jarrod's ability overrides the general rule.

(Otherwise one of Jarrod's abilities would just deploy J4X-7 for free at the start of a mission and didn't give any other way to deploy. See R5 Astromech - or Pit Droid from a supply card.)

Edited by a1bert

Annoyingly he can be deployed every time Jarrod activated if he has enough strain.

hes an absolute tank in our campaign, even with 3 dice attacks from at-dp can mitigate most of it with droid and exhausting weapons to add bonuses. Not once wounded him I don’t think

Strain out Jarrod and take out JAX whenever you can. jarrod is a tank

Thanks, folks for your help!

In regards to Jarrod. I have seen him in two campaigns and he has been unstoppable in both. I put him up there with Fenn, Mak as some of the best heroes available.

Our current party is Jarrod, Ko-tun, Drokkatta, and Murne...I honestly feel bad for the Imp player cause they haven't had much of a chance. Our party is heading into the final with 13 total exp and we're pretty well geared. I feel like Jarrod may soon become the most popular hero for my group...Anyways, thanks again!

Had to deal with Jarrod in Jabbas realm. I was playing the reactive defense deck from HoTE. Rebels were Jarrod, Ko Tun, Vinto and Shyla. Basically played the game ignoring Jarrod, killing J4X and trying to outlast the rebels.

However, Jarrod became so hard to kill in the finale I decided to just force the other 3 rebels to withdraw and try and find out the game. Jarrod literally won the mission on his last possible activation

On 6/27/2018 at 9:24 AM, Soontirbeblownup said:

Annoyingly he can be deployed every time Jarrod activated if he has enough strain.

hes an absolute tank in our campaign, even with 3 dice attacks from at-dp can mitigate most of it with droid and exhausting weapons to add bonuses. Not once wounded him I don’t think

Apparently you just have to bait his Parry and then attack him with figures that have Pierce 2 or Pierce 3 (like Maul, ahem) ? .

Edited by machfalcon
27 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

Apparently you just have to bait his Parry and then attack him with figures that have Pierce 2 or Pierce 3 (like Maul, ahem) ? .

Pierce and other damage boosts from class decks may be necessary. If Jarrod activates early in a round, with concentrated fire you might even get to withdraw him before he has a chance to activate again the next round. ;) And then J4X-7 can no longer activate and attack twice per round with focused from Mechanical Master. (Jax will still provide Supporting Fire as long as he's on the map.)

Well, otherwise though (if you can't concentrate fire), don't bother attacking Jarrod.

I think Jarrod being a melee hero is his biggest weakness, but on the other end after getting Mechanical Master J4X-7 is better than a two-figure ally group.

Edited by a1bert

Regarding Jax, as an imperial player i have a question regarding his ability:

J4X-7

Regarding his Supporting Fire ability, does it mean that the pierce 1 is available for each hero's activation to use? or is it available only for 1 hero only? if it is for every hero, isnt is too powerful?

my understanding of the new errata was that it can only be used once.

1 hour ago, Alucardz23 said:

Regarding his Supporting Fire ability, does it mean that the pierce 1 is available for each hero's activation to use? or is it available only for 1 hero only? if it is for every hero, isnt is too powerful?

my understanding of the new errata was that it can only be used once.

Supporting Fire is an ability that is always on. It is also not optional, so the first time each activation a Friendly Figure attacks a figure adjacent to J4X the target figure they benefit from Pierce 1.

There is no Errata or relevant Clarification concerning J4X that I could find in the FAQ.

J4X is quite the little murder robot when used correctly.

Edited by Majushi

Abilities that have per-activation limits (for example: “limit once per activation”) cannot be used outside of an activation.

so the above sentence means any ability can be used once per each hero or imperial's activation?

2 hours ago, Alucardz23 said:

so the above sentence means any ability can be used once per each hero or imperial's activation?

If I understand you correctly, I believe so. (I'm not sure how it would trigger during the Imperial's activation...)

That said, as I mentioned it is Not Optional. (always on)

Which means, if a hero were to attack two targets in the same activation, both standing adjacent to J4X, only the first attack would benefit from the Pierce 1.

9 hours ago, Alucardz23 said:

Abilities that have per-activation limits (for example: “limit once per activation”) cannot be used outside of an activation.

It means that if there is a limit once per activation, it can be used once per any figure's activation when the opportunity arises, but not during start of round or end of round, because those are not any figure's activation. In other words: only Activation Phase has activations. The "no activation happening" mainly applies to skirmish, but also applies to end of round effects from agenda cards and mission rules, and some abilities in the campaign.

Supporting Fire can be used once per any activation if the situation arises. Even during an imperial figure's activation (e.g. Quick Draw). And it's not optional, so it applies to the first the it is applicable during that activation - you can't choose to save it.

(Had there been "Use" in Supporting Fire, we have a ruling that it would make an ability optional.)

Edited by a1bert
11 hours ago, Majushi said:

If I understand you correctly, I believe so. (I'm not sure how it would trigger during the Imperial's activation...)

Jyn Odan's interrupt shot.

I would assume, though, that if the stars alligned J4X could pull that off and benefit her cheapshot.

Anyhoo, I absolutely agree - Jarrod is a beast to take down.

• Most of the time, you can have a priority target with a hero or two ... but spare other actions for attacks of opportunity. That way you start whittling down the health and distract the team with resting and recovery actions.
  • Wtih Jarrod I've found you have to be deliberate and focus heavy fire on the guy. He has a lot of ways to negate small damage, so unless he gets attacked 3-4 times in a single round you won't make significant damage. ... Trandoshan ambush (next to a deploy point) or an Elite Wampa can actually work well. Jarrod is susceptible to bleeding.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Quick Draw. Excellent Point.

I suppose a follow up point would be Gideon's Command.

If Gideon were to Command then Masterstroke, if both targets of those attacks were adjacent to J4X only the first would benefit form Supporting Fire as all of that is happening during Gideon's activation. Correct?

Right, once per Gideon's activation.