Fear Incarnate -- how is it going for you?

By Budgernaut, in Runewars List Building

I keep wanting to break the mold by going with Fear Incarnate on Ravos instead of Insatiable Hunger. However, the few games I've played with Fear Incarnate didn't really seem to have enough punch. Additionally, I worry that with Fear Incarnate, the inclination is to maximize morale tests, and that leads to just spamming things. The trouble is that if you focus on generating lots of morale checks (for example, you have a couple Psychosis Sirens), then your offensive power dips considerably as soon as Ravos dies. But if you keep Ravos back, you're not getting use of his 45+ points.

What are your thoughts on Fear Incarnate? Has it worked? Does it work? Can it work? If you go with Fear Incarnate, are you required to go with a panic/morale test army?

I think it pairs well with Cacophony Reaver.

Not just spamming morale tests but mining for severity 3 tests and knowing exactly when you have the tokens to pull it off.

I found Rage Spine to be key to maximizing Fear Incarnate.

I used it once and it did 8 damage. Would have been more (maybe 12) but my opponent had a high armor army. I had a Psychosis Siren, Mutilated Grotesque, and Bannerscamp in that one.

Now with some extra trays, I have been looking at how to leverage some of my less used Uthuk cards. Fear Incarnate is on the list. Cards that come to mind to possibly use with it:

-Psychosis Siren

-Blood Diviner (a bit of a stretch)

-Bannerscamp

-Terrifying Heraldry

-Mutilated Grotesque

-Support Spined Thresher

-Units: Spined Threshers, Flesh Rippers.

I think I’m going to try the Support Spined Thresher. My ZerkerStar doesn’t seem to put out the damage it needs to justify the price tag, so I need it to do something else. This might be it. Also, Steadfast [Fear 2] is nice.

9 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

I found Rage Spine to be key to maximizing Fear Incarnate.

That seems like you're only dealing one extra damage, which only woubds something with a defense of 1. Is it really worth it?

3 hours ago, Church14 said:

I  think    I’m going to try the Support Spined Thresher. My ZerkerStar doesn’t seem to put out the damage it needs to justify the price tag, so I need it to  do somethi  ng else. This might be it. Also, Steadfast [F  ear 2] is nice. 

I was toying with something similar last night. With Psychosis Siren, Support Spined Thresher, and Terrifying Heraldry, you can engage a unit, place a panic token with Supporr Spined Thresher, place a second panic with Terrifying Heraldry during the end of the round, and then use Psychosis Siren to trigger a severity-3 morale test during the next round. One trouble is that Psychosis Siren needs to be readied and unfortunately you need a 6-tray-unit of Berserkers to get Rallying Shrieker. Doesn't seem worth it.

So, as with most things in RW, if you focus on only one aspect, that thing underscrutiny is not worth it. Rage Spine/Fear Incarnate is one of those things. Yes, Rage Spine only adds one extra damage from a Fear Incarnate trigger, but don't forget that you're copying a 1-cost panic card as well. That means you're putting out 4 panic tokens, 2 stuns, 2 immobilizes, and removing all boons (and adding a panic) as well as dealing damage. Fear Incarnate to me feels like a way to tack on additional effects rather than Scarry the list for you

Fear incarnate has a hard time fitting into a list for me just due to the nuttiness that is insatiable hunger.

While FI helped me chew through infantry, getting into an opponents backline turn 1 seems pretty good.

Edited by Panzerninja
53 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I was     toying   with something similar last night. Wit  h Psychosis Siren, Support Spined Thresher, and Terrifying Heraldry, you can engage a unit, place a panic token with Supporr Spined Thresher, place a second panic with Terrifying Heraldry during the end of the round, and then use Psychosis Siren to trigger a severity-3 morale test du  ring the next round. One trouble is that  Psychosis Siren needs to be readied and unfortunately you need a 6-tray-unit of Berserkers to   get Rallying Shrieker. Doesn't seem worth i   t.          

I was looking at Mutilated Grotesque. Doesn’t need a rally. Just an extra panic on the first swing and then keep drawing extra cards to make it more likely to trigger something. I’ll be trying something tonight if I get a game in

Also, for the thread at large, I don’t think Rage Spine and Fear Incarnate synergize. Fear Incarnate is damage equal to selected card. Rage Spine is suffer the effects twice. Not select it a second time.

3 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Also, for the thread at large, I don’t think Rage Spine and Fear Incarnate synergize. Fear Incarnate is damage equal to selected card. Rage Spine is suffer the effects twice. Not select it a second time.

Thank you. I was just about to point that out.

And I agree that Mutilated Grotesque looks to be a decent card. I look forward to hearing your results.

20 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Thank you. I was just about to point that out.

And I agree that Mutilated Grotesque looks to be a decent card. I look forward to hearing your results.

Three games tonight. I tried:

Berserkers [50] 3x3
Psychosis Siren [7]
Shield Wall [5]
Support Spined Thresher [4]
Rage Spine [4]
Total Unit Cost: 70

Flesh Rippers [22] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 22

Spined Threshers [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Spined Threshers [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Ravos the Everhungry [40] 1x1
Viscera Goblet [7]
Fear Incarnate [5]
Total Unit Cost: 52

I played against Jukey with Latari, and another player with two Daqan games. Against Jukey, units got packed tight. So Ravos did something like 8-10 damage with FI. 2nd game, Ravos was armor busting and did 3damage with FI, Last game, the other player did a good job of forcing Ravos to engage face to face and Ravos died early.

EDIT: I think Ravos did 6 in game two. I remember a severity three morale test against crossbows that he helped with.

Edited by Church14

I like the idea behind Fear Incarnate, but 5 points for 8-10 damage doesn't seem great, especially with the opportunity cost of not taking Insatiable Hunger, as @Panzerninja mentioned. Off the cuff, I think the point costs of those two upgrades could have been flipped. Or at least they could have been the same cost. But I digress. Don't really want to get into a discussion about costs and what could be. I want to focus on how we can make Fear Incarnate work.

But aybe I'm wrong. Maybe the damage isn't bad. Serrated Spines is 4 and it is going to average 6 damage if you can get 4 attacks in one game. Maybe I'm just asking too much of Fear Incarnate.

Jukey took pictures of the first game. Usually he has a AAR up by now. You’ll get a lot more detail then.

In a nutshell, the first game Ravos engaged a 4 tray archers while a 2 tray Thresher engaged a 4 tray Scion nearby. IIRC The Threshers triggered two severity two morale tests on the Scions. I know the Scions also suffered at least 2 severity one tests as well that FI didn’t add to. Ravos would have triggered a severity three test on the archers had they not died to his second attack. Late game, I think Ravos got 4 damage between two morale tests on his Maegan powered Leonx. So 8 Damage that would have been 10 if he had brought low armor and would have been potentially 13 if Ravos hadn’t smoked his archers so hard.

Edited by Church14

FI would have a place in a meta where 1 armor units are the be all and end all. It can be difficult to get consistent dmg with vs higher armor. I am not sure if there is enough tools to make it consistent and have a big enough pay off to really make it worth it.

Don't get me wrong the first time I made it work, a siren triggered a Betrayal on a spear star and Ravos was nearby for 3 extra dmg; I giggled a lot. But that seems like the high end dream.

Another niche use, is that with Spined Threshers running rampant, I've taken to Cursed Signets on my huge block of Reanimates to deny the reroll. Sure, I lose a figure, but that's better than letting threshers reroll a blank into a hit, which would be 3 figures (assuming the 2-tray configuration or Spined Threshers here). With Fear Incarnate, a unit bringing Cursed Signets is in trouble, because Rising Panic translates to 3 wounds on my Reanimates, which really adds up.

Edited by Parakitor

I use Fear Incarnate almost every game. I know that a lot of people like Insatiable Hunger, but I use that once, maybe twice a game. I use FI way more frequently. IH is great in the first round, but honestly I never really have an issue getting within 1 of at least one unit in the first round, guaranteed almost by the 2nd round. To me, I'd rather dish out a few extra hit points from time to time. It's great when the infantry of another army are running around. With Latari, knocking out more archers and soon Darnati. With Daqan I'm knocking out all of those super annoying spearmen and crossbowmen and soon the scouts. With Waiqar goodbye blight battery, reanimating nuisances and soon wraiths!! If I go against another Uthuk, it's effective against everything. Most people's army has 50% of these types I'd say being effective against 50% of an army 100% of the time and 33-50% effective against the other 50% of an army the rest of the time is great. Not to mention it's these units I'm talking about that take the most time to get rid of. Getting rid of a spearstar to go dominate the Cavs and Hawthorne is important. To me though IH is great only in round 1, once he's engaged I hardly have to use that, sure it's nice the 1 or two more times to have an initiative 3 or 4 and go 3 or 4, but I'll take one round get late initiative which in many cases helps me anyways and have the same effect except this time when I use my inevitable morale opportunity they're most likely taking damage.

Someone said using this with Cacophony, I agree 100% knowing what is coming is great to help with decision making. That's my two cents.

I'm starting to experiment with Fear Incarnate more. I agree that when I've used Insatiable Hunger in the past, I get about 2 moves with it... sure it's awesome to boogey on down the road, but extra damage is nice. Especially if you can trigger that damage off of other units as well. There is so much available panic with the Uthuk. I still say that demons are supposed to be scary. They embrace that theme very well on the field.

See, I've tried both, but when I've used Insatiable Hunger, it has been amazing. Without it, I couldn't have hunted down Kari. Without it, I couldn't have engaged archers before they shot me.