Game Master's Toolkit - First Look Review

By schoon, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Overall First Impression: 3.5 out of 5 .

The Toolkit comes in a standard-sized box with approximately 1.5 inches of depth, rather than the half-sized box of the Adventurer's Toolkit. Also of note: this is not a sturdy reusable box like previous offerings, but more like a cereal box – after you open it and integrate its contents with your main game, you will likely throw it away.

Inside is a cardboard fold-up that keeps everything secure and undamaged, but again is pretty much a throwaway after you open it up for the first time. The contents are the main book, which is the same size as the rulebooks, a pack of item & locations cards, a pack of career-sized Nemesis Organization cards, and the GM screen itself.

Item Cards: The item cards are what they should have done with all equipment from the start. They have an illustration on the front and encumbrance & play notes on the back, all where you need them for easy reference – bravo! They are clearly geared towards "loot" or things the GM might use as a reward. The Locked Chest and Mysterious Flask cards will be of particular use.

Location Cards: The location cards round out the initial set nicely with some excellent additions, and looking through them, they've clearly picked a good mix for maximum utility: Rural Settlement, City Gates, and Merchant's Wagon among others. Of particular note is the Burning Building card, which really look like fun.

Nemesis Organization Cards: These cards look very interesting at first glance, with a description on one side and two trackers on the other. One tracker is for positive game effects for when the organization is doing well, and the other has penalties for when they are doing poorly.

The Book: The book has 8 chapters and an Appendix, and like all the previous rulebooks, it is lavishly illustrated with full color throughout. It seems to be better organized than the main rulebook, but that could just be because there's less material broken into a large number of chapters.

Chapter 1 – Nemesis NPCs and Organizations: Nemesis NPCs are essentially NPC characters that get their own character sheet, action cards, etc. It's nice to see this explicitly spelled out, but this shouldn’t be a surprise to veteran GMs. Nemesis organizations use the accompanying pack cards in the kit, and all members of the organization receive the benefit or penalty listed on the card depending on the condition of the tracker. It's a nice game effect the could also be used for other purposes, such as a measure of the morale of townsfolk or a group of NPCs. Expect to see this concept expanded upon by fans.

Chapter 2 – Episode Templates: This chapter contains a number of canned encounters for use by beginning GMs or those looking for a one-off or sidetrack encounter. They all seemed in keeping with the Warhammer background, but experienced GM's may not find much of use in this chapter.

Chapter 3 – Making Progress: The title of this chapter is something of a misnomer, as it is devoted to the use of progress trackers of various types for different situations. There are some interesting and novel ways to set them up: the split T, the tug-of-war, and a decent guide to employing them in your games, but again, experienced GMs may not find much here.

Chapter 4 – Enjoying the Journey: This chapter covers general game tips and ideas about how to more effectively GM the game from a mechanical standpoint. It looks like this will be of use to more novice GMs.

Chapter 5 – Advancement Insights: This section covers creative ways to reward your players. In addition to the standard things (XP and Fate Points), it covers allowing non-career advances, additional stance track purchases, and generally awards "outside the box" (or rules).

Chapter 6 – Setting the Scene: There can never really be too much written on this topic, as it tends to be key to the enjoyment of any group's game. It covers tips on GMing in an immersive, narrative way – how to "show" rather than "tell," and a number of other writer's tricks that translate well into gaming. This is an excellent section for both new GMs and those that want to improve their skills.

Chapter 7 – Rewards & Incentives: This covers giving out rewards during the game. While Fortune Points and experience are the obvious ones, it also goes into more innovative ways to reward your players, such as removing Recharge Tokens from their action cards.

Chapter 8 – Optional Rules: One of the best chapters of the book, this section covers a number of Action Card options, such as using them before fully before recharged with a penalty, casting options with difficulty based on spell/blessing rank, and also options for greater lethality. I expect that almost every game group would adopt one or two of these.

Appendix 1 – The book finishes with a Master Index for all the books published to date. This is late, but welcome.

The Screen: This is both the best and worst part of the kit. Best in that it is of fantastic durability and graphic quality; I'd be happy to have it on the table from the player side. Unfortunately, their choice of material for the GM side is geared far more to new GMs than those that have been playing for a while. 3/4 of a panel to cover symbols on the dice? There are similar choices that favor a GM just starting with the game. There are some nice touches of use to any GM, such as a tracker at the bottom on one panel, and several spots at the bottom of another panel for A/C/E pools, but in terms of content, it really seemed thrown together rather than well thought out.

Ver nice overview Schoon, thanks!

It looks like something I'll definitely pick up but maybe also something that gets read once and then put away. We'll see...

What, in your opinion, is not on the GM screen that should be there?

A fair question:

1. The number of maneuvers required to move between ranges - they list the ranges, but not the specifics of how to get from one to the other
  2. First Aid & Healing quick reference - this is another that I use very frequently, but can't always remember
  3. Skills & Specializations - I really like to have this handy so I can make "on the run" calls about what skill is most appropriate for my players' latest "what would I use for..." question, and is also a handy reference for opponents using skills
  4. NPC reference - as NPCs use a slightly different stat line, especially for ACE pools, it would be nice to have a quick reference for it

schoon said:

A fair question:

1. The number of maneuvers required to move between ranges - they list the ranges, but not the specifics of how to get from one to the other
  2. First Aid & Healing quick reference - this is another that I use very frequently, but can't always remember
  3. Skills & Specializations - I really like to have this handy so I can make "on the run" calls about what skill is most appropriate for my players' latest "what would I use for..." question, and is also a handy reference for opponents using skills
  4. NPC reference - as NPCs use a slightly different stat line, especially for ACE pools, it would be nice to have a quick reference for it

I can't believe it doesn't have Number 2. That's probably the most useful information to have at all on the GM screen. Considering how it confuzles the hell out of me every single session, I'm very dissappointed it wasn't included.

Well... why don't we wait for the "Tome of useful GM Screen expansions" planned for 2012, only 29,90 $. Maybe there are some Item Cards within. angel.gif

A fair question:

That's weird: I playtested the GM screen and mentioned that stuff like this would be useful. Oh well.

Good review Schoon!

I felt overall the book provides some decent clarifications, but was not really necessary.

The cards provided as well as the stand ups were welcome, but could have been included in the main boxed game. There weren't a lot of extra cards, after all.

The GM Screen was well built and had some good info on it, but wasn't this game built so GM's wouldn't have to reference the rules much? Based on the type of information on the GM screen, it seems like this information was listed more as a convenience rather than need. One full column of the eight provided was a short index to the Core Rule books. To me, that screams that they ran out of information to include on the screen.

Overall, in my opinion, I paid $30.00 for a really expensive GM Screen and a rulebook that offers magazine-style advice.

Am I really unhappy with this product? Yes.

Am I going to spend any more time complaining about the lack of substance in this game? Nope.

If The Gathering Storm doesn't produce a miracle for me, that will be my last product purchased for this system.

Frankly, I think I should have bailed out after the Adventurer's toolkit came out.

LeBlanc13 said:

and a rulebook that offers magazine-style advice.

Dear Jay,

One of my players has asked me out on a date, but he wears glasses and the other girls make fun of him. Should I wear heels?

Perplexed of Marienburg

One full column of the eight provided was a short index to the Core Rule books. To me, that screams that they ran out of information to include on the screen.

Nope, AFAIK it was a request by playtest GMs to make for faster reference should they need to look things up. And yes, the GM screen is more for convenience than need. This is based on how WFRP3 plays, though. It's a story, and details should not detract from it. So, the screen is an attempt to make things convenient for the GM. I use the screen mainly as a shield for the NPC sheets and my adventure notes. I especially like the A/C/E pool locations as handy separators, and the index is very useful.

<shrug> to each his own, I guess. A lot of the GM rules were organized with more of a novice GM in mind, but as Schoon pointed out, there are sections that even experienced GMs can take stuff away from.

I don't think a skill list belongs on the GM screen. The number of maneuvers to go between ranges is very simple, and, while I suppose it could have been put on there ... I bet if it had that people would be complaining that it was put on there for filler because it was so simple. Etc. Honestly, I never thought about suggesting the maneuver cost for moving.

As for First Aid / Healing. It would be useful on the screen, but no more than anything else IMO. I've got a sticky in my book to mark it, if needed. Considering the majority of my adventures are mostly investigation and social, and my group is smart and cautious enough of combat, that "serious" combat only occurs towards the climax of the adventure.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, LeBlanc. I agree mostly with Schoon's review. The stuff in the book is a good read, especially for new GMs. Nemesis enemies and organizations are nice for all GMs. A lot of it (like all GM kits, though) is mostly a one time read if you're an experienced GM. The screen itself and the cards are very useful.

Yeah I can understand, after the fact, why they didn't put in the maneuver cost for movement. One maneuver per range increment token. Not too complicated, really.

dvang said:

I'm sorry you were disappointed, LeBlanc. I agree mostly with Schoon's review. The stuff in the book is a good read, especially for new GMs. Nemesis enemies and organizations are nice for all GMs. A lot of it (like all GM kits, though) is mostly a one time read if you're an experienced GM. The screen itself and the cards are very useful.

The cards are very useful, but due to the small number it seems they were more of a hold out for this product rather than just being included in the original boxed set, where it would have made more sense in my opinion to include the cards... and the monster stand ups.

The GM screen is good. I like the separation between me and my players. Having the ability to fudge rolls when necessary and keep them from seeing a complete map of the area they are traversing is always beneficial. I just feel that it's light on information and frankly, based on the system's simplicity it's unnecessary. The inclusion of a built in tracker and spots for keeping dice pools were inventive though. I'll give them that.

I'm not stating that on individual merit, any of these items are useless or bad for the game.

It's just that some of these items, such as the cards or stand-ups, could have been included in the main boxed set. Although they probably weren't included to either hold out for this product or perhaps to keep costs down in the main box.

Anyway, I felt the stand ups were needed in the main boxed set over inclusion of a character rep stand up for EVERY career included in the game. Can't players just pick the model that best represents them instead of having one for every career. Multiples of the monsters are useful, but including them in the boxed set would have been better, imo.

I still stand in wait of The Gathering Storm to make the final decision for me. $40.00 for an adventure means it better be good. For that price, the expectations are high for me. I would definitely want it to last more than just a few sessions at that price point. I used to gripe about paying $24.95 for a D&D 4th edition adventure even with all the cool maps and hand outs provided with the folio that held it together so $40.00 for a campaign supplement is going to have to knock my socks off to keep me purchasing.

I am after all just expressing my disappointment with the game so far. It seems the vast majority of people on this forum are pretty happy with the game so far.

And hey, even if I leave the game, FFG has gotten my money anyway.

$100.00 for the Core Game

$30.00 for the Adventurer's Toolkit

$12.00 x2 for 2 sets of dice

$30.00 for the GM's Toolkit

and soon to be $40 for The Gathering Storm.... $224.00 from someone that's less than impressed with the game so far is not too bad a haul. Imagine what the people who like the game would be willing to spend.

:)

I just picked mine up. I like the screen a lot, although I'm baffled by why they took up so much space for dice symbols, too. If you don't know those, you have no business GMing! But it'll hide what I want it to hide from my players and it's attractive and high quality.

I will say that while a bunch of the advice in the GM's book isn't all that useful to me personally, I'm delighted to see that FFG is spending most of their time encouraging new GMs to think about good storytelling instead of giving them a billionty boring stat charts. I don't use the standees, but if I were using them, they're a useful set of critters, and I do like the new tracker triangles and the single tracker bar. The book's sections on Nemesis rules and new ways to use the trackers both seem helpful.

Overall, I'm pleased. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's a solid offering and not overpriced IMHO. (I would easily have paid $15 for the screen alone, since I'm a sucker for having everything match.)

The first session of play I gave a copy of the "Success & Failure Symbols" to the players for reference... Twenty minutes later the back of that sheet was used to draw maps, the players don't needed anymore. Any of the topics suggested by Schoon will be a thousand times useful than that!!!

schoon said:

A fair question:

**** yes !!!

Why play test a GM screen without asking about Hedgewizard's GM screen which is quite perfect (but in 6 pannel where I'd would prefer 3) ? All of this is in his GM screen. I use it with SAVAGE WORLD's Custom GM Screen

A GM screen is made to never open the books (I never open that book thanks to that fanmade gm screen), dice symbols learned in 1 min...I would add :

5. EQUIPMENT/WEAPON TABLES
  6. Magic/Blessing resume.

What is the surface of the GM Screen like? Could I simply stick some different notes with double sided tape or something? Is it glossy?

It's glossy and a bit thinner than the 2nd Ed screen. The nice thing about it is the fact that the sides are also glossy and rounded. No exposed cardboard like in the Black Library editions. It seems like it will be sturdy and hold up to hard use.

Sounds a little like the Rogue Trader screen. Awesome.

How about the new creature standees, what are they like, all new art? Same creatures from base set? Or just repeats from the core set.

PanzerKraken said:

How about the new creature standees, what are they like, all new art? Same creatures from base set? Or just repeats from the core set.

New standees are creatures from the core set. No new ones, although they are cool and most come in pairs so you can run multiples of the same creatures. I think you get 4-5 different skaven (2 warriors, clan eshin assassin, Rat ogre.... I think)

@ Necrozius, it's thinner than the rogue trader screen, but otherwise looks similar with a glossy finish as opposed to the RT satin finish.

I must really be the odd GM out. I never had a problem understanding the NPC stat line. I totally fail to see what about the NPC stat line needs to or could be included on the screen.

St (DR), To (Soak), Ag (Defense)

All three () entries are for "default"/"generic"/"natural" gear, and can be manually replaced with gear (and its associated ratings) from the rulebook if desired. Voila! The only question in my mind, is whether the default weapons have a CR. I go by, "none is listed so no they don't have a CR rating". Enough monster actions cause crits anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I'm better, or that others are stupid ... I'm just saying that I don't understand what is so confusing about it.

Just got mine today.

Good points: Nemesis Cards, Optional Rules (most of which are good), Magic Items, Locations, Monster Stand ups.

Bad Points: The GM screen is really puzzling, why discuss ranges without mention the moves needed to move between them, why mention the difficulty for healing without mentioning the heal effects. Also the 20 pages to discuss 3 act story telling and types of encounters is much more useful to a new GM then someone who has run his share of RPGS.

Overall the product rates a B from me. Useful stuff, but nothing that made me go WOW AMAZING!

dvang said:

I must really be the odd GM out. I never had a problem understanding the NPC stat line. I totally fail to see what about the NPC stat line needs to or could be included on the screen.

St (DR), To (Soak), Ag (Defense)

All three () entries are for "default"/"generic"/"natural" gear, and can be manually replaced with gear (and its associated ratings) from the rulebook if desired. Voila! The only question in my mind, is whether the default weapons have a CR. I go by, "none is listed so no they don't have a CR rating". Enough monster actions cause crits anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I'm better, or that others are stupid ... I'm just saying that I don't understand what is so confusing about it.

I think it's way more confusing then taking the time to say:

Damage Rating:

Defense:

Soak:

I mean it's not to hard to just format the text to say that. Most of the time I can remember but every once in awhile I have a brain fart and can't remember. The format I suggest stops that from every being an issue.

I love all of you guys, but did you guys all drink the Kool-Aid or go temporarily blind. The cost in maneuvers to change range brackets is ACTUALLY ON THE SCREEN! I know, miracle of miracles, if you'd actually read it it's in the maneuver's section on the right panel, I believe labeled moving range or moving from one range. If you read the paragraph it tells you how many ranges you have to move.

I agree healing should have been on there over the dice symbols, but really, that's all I'd change about the screen. I hate when they put the weapons on there and I feel, that no matter how the editions change, this screen would probably be relevant. I also like the index on the screen, that is some handiness right there for quick references.

Look, I don't think every piece of gaming equipment should be geared toward vets or new gamers either. These tools do a good job balancing both, they give something for everyone. Over all I find it to be the most useful GM product I have ever bought which are typically full of utterly pointless garbage and useless charts most of the time or tell me how I should run my games in their precious genre even though, I can do that just fine on my own. What I liked about their encounter set up was here were some ideas on encounters, which I could turn to in a pinch or a one off and get an idea quickly, without having to put much work into it. The outline of a novel so to speak and all I have to do is fill in the dots (color by numbers). I'm highly narrative in my games, but sometimes, the ideas don't flow and I have something to grab up and quickly graft a short bit in the middle of game (like a chase sequence or a hold the line) that I wanted to do, just hadn't approached it very mechanically yet. It's way better than someone telling me how to write a campaign in a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo with no real practical directions on how to do such a monumental task. This is hard and usable data. My God the White Wolf ones were just awful (except the original one for werewolf: The Apocalypse).

All in all A fifteen dollar screen (any other company would charge you about that much), seven dollar worth of a book and roughly eight bucks in cards seems pretty reasonable to me.

The only part I was disappointed in was the lack of location cards. I would have loved like fifty of those. I love them and love to stack their effects (like in an abandoned mine there is a dilapidated shrine) and find my options limited right now when it comes to them. Sure I could make them myself, but right now the stack is handy.

Also, I do get why we don't get many magic items. Warhammer was never that kind of high magic world where everyone is running around with a sword +1 and so far, they seem to be sticking to the fluff (though I figure the magic source book will be rife with them).

Personally, I would have rather have seen this stuff included in the core for 120 USD, but hey, it's only ten bucks.

What are the "subjects" of the optional rules?