KariThorne List

By Ezbior, in Runewars List Building

Hello, this is a Karithorne list I've been tweaking for a while, still needs some testing, what are your thoughts?

• 3x2 Spearmen Shield wall
    • Bread and butter unit, good at most things, shield wall is great with hawthorne as his special ability lets you get many uses out of this card.
    • Will mostly be at the frontlines, deal decent damage, I've been thinking of making room for a citadel weapons master or lance corporal, but this is what I'm running for now.
  • 3x2 Oathsworn Cavalry Wind Rune
    • I've really enjoyed wind rune on these guys as it makes flanking much easier, with the increased damage hawthorne gives by letting us make them more wide than long, I find the extra mobility very useful, probably the no. 1 ideal target for:
  • 4x1 Deepwood Archers Dispatch Runner
    • The free rank discipline really helps here, along with being ranged meaning the bad mobility that comes from being 4 trays wide isn't really relevant here, all around excellent unit, and the main reason to play karithorne imo.
    • The dispatch runner is also great, much better than fire rune, and helps take advantage of hawthrone giving out insp. like candy.
  • Kari Wraithstalker
  • Lord Hawthorne
    • Both being run without upgrades as I have no room, I think they're both fine heroes on their own with very relevant abilities both during set up and in game.
Edited by Ezbior

List looks fine, I probably would reconsider the spearmen since you could just replace them with another set of Oathsworn 6 tray. That way you get the same tray formation and the red red blue die you were aiming for by equipping citidals. Oathsworn also get the shield modifier built in so they something similar to shield wall (better that it's all attacks, worse that you have to activate first to trigger)

If you have room, add tempered steel to the archers as the surges are a bit wasted and with all the inspiration Hawthorne provides, it tends to stay constant. Archers are your highest threat in this list so might as well maximize on that.

Of course if you don't have the trays to field more oathsworn (or can't proxy) shield wall is alright on the spearmen but you still might get more mileage out of putting tempered on the archers and raven tabards on the oathsworn.

Yep, pretty much with @Xquer on all points. I'll definitely recommend the Lance Corporal in Spearmen if you don't want to go the Oathsworn route. Hit and +1 Def at initiative 3 are both awesome options, and so is the speed-4 charge.

Remember though that when comparing the +1 def modifier that it's worth 2x as much on spearmen as on Oathsworn. Spearmen with +1 are 8 damage, 4 wounds per tray where Oathsworn with +1 are only 6 damage, 2 wounds per tray. The bonus in terms of damage is literally twice as much on the spearmen, so the spearmen formation can actually be much more durable than oathsworn when they have lance corporal and/or shieldwall.

Naked, Oathsworn are kind of just better than spearmen, but find that spearmen use upgrades more efficiently.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:20 PM, Xquer said:

List looks fine, I probably would reconsider the spearmen since you could just replace them with another set of Oathsworn 6 tray. That way you get the same tray formation and the red red blue die you were aiming for by equipping citidals. Oathsworn also get the shield modifier built in so they something similar to shield wall (better that it's all attacks, worse that you have to activate first to trigger)

If you have room, add tempered steel to the archers as the surges are a bit wasted and with all the inspiration Hawthorne provides, it tends to stay constant. Archers are your highest threat in this list so might as well maximize on that.

Of course if you don't have the trays to field more oathsworn (or can't proxy) shield wall is alright on the spearmen but you still might get more mileage out of putting tempered on the archers and raven tabards on the oathsworn.

As @Willange mentioned the +1 is way more valuable on spearmen than on oathsworn. However I think lance corporal is better than shield wall here. I didn't notice that, as @Bhelliom pointed out it lets them get a "free" +1 defense on any action, as well as a hit, and a 4 charge or 3 turn if need be. My current tweaked list looks more like this.

• 3x2 Spearmen with Lance corporal
  • 3x2 Cavalry with wind rune and piercing strike
  • 4x1 Elvish archers with tempered steel
  • 1x1 Kari wraithstalker
  • 1x1 Lord hawthorne

Not sure if I like not having dispatch runner, but it'll be interesting to test.

I love putting aggressive cornicen on my spearstars just for that 4 charge... basically no one sees it coming just because it's not on their reference sheet.

36 minutes ago, Willange said:

I love putting aggressive cornicen on my spearstars just for that 4 charge... basically no one sees it coming just because it's not on their reference sheet.

I really would like to add him but, unfortunately I have very little room for upgrade as is.

19 minutes ago, Ezbior said:

I really would like to add him but, unfortunately I have very little room for upgrade as is.

I agree it makes sense not to in your list. It seems like the main role for the spears is as "Tank/Tarpit". Your consistent damage is coming from the archers, cavalry and kari if I don't misunderstand.