Review of Rogue Trader

By Kadrek, in Rogue Trader

I made a review of Rogue Trader and the other RPGs in the same universe. What do you think? Is there something I should change in the review?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flhTQ1JspzY&list=PLHueNqrphosDVApIZ1V8yofMlQF63gQS-&index=3&t=0s

Gave it a look, but it is not my thing.

I agree that the Warhammer and 40k universe feel more then a bit dated in certain assumptions and roles, but it is also egalitarian in the way that everybody is screwed and has equal chances of being eaten by the 'Nids. I have always found the '200% Man-Sauce Marines' a bit odd, but I generally enjoy the lore and books - in particular Imperial Armour, Execution Hour, Galaxy in Flames, Know No Fear, Eisenhorn and pretty much everything else by Dan Abnett. Even with the dated elements the Most Holy Ecclesiarcy et alia has never cared who you love, sleep with or identify as, as long as you do it adoring the God-Emperor while purging Xenos. For all the many reasons I'd never want to live in that universe, that is not one of them.

I think your opinions come from a good place but I generally hold the media I prefer to high standards in regards to sourcing, research and good reporting. This video feels more then a bit hasty in drawing conclusions from assumptions-without-context. Still, I am intrigued by the idea of viewing our current day and age through the lense of the 40k universe, so if at some point you take a look at those I will be sure to have a gander.

Edited by Sna

first claim: the systems are all the same, and that is bad.
counter: no, it is good. you can create a character from one setting, and integrate it into another setting without difficulty. a rogue trader as a minion to an inqusitor? no problem. vice versa? no problem. that aint bad, thats awesome. sprinkle a little "one man assault team"-space marine on it, and you have a crazy group going.

second claim: no innovation

counter: The entirety of the Rogue Trader as playable, or even part of the imperium, hasnt realy been around in any 40k forum before FFG made the games. there was this one ancient time the game was named rogue trader, but thats about it. now no 40k forum board without RT content is realy taken serious any more. sry mate, but you didnt recognize "innovation" when it hit you in the face with a 6 kilometer long spaceship.....

third claim: combat is somewhat clumsy

i agree on that one, though i know worse. i am willing to roll with this system, but i accept your claim, because i understand it.

i think your analysis of the fluff and far right wing ideology is spot on. it is this ridiculous, and fun IF in a hypothetical game. and only there. even though i agree on this, i think you are leaning to the SJW side of the argument. it is after all a game. i see the setting as criticism of the current political situation. i see the imperium as an evil organisation, as much as the chaos side of the conflict.

your argument about "toy soldiers" is simply an ad hominem argument though. only designed to disregard counter erguments.

all in all: i dont like your review. it smacks of self righteousness.

hope this helps

cheers