Numenera Conversion, Draft 1.2 WIP

By Garfazz, in Your Settings

Hello everyone. This is a WIP of my Numenera conversion. Currently, it just wrapped up its first major revision, and I am posting it here mainly for critiques of the balance, overall formatting, etc. Keep in mind, I do not come to Genesys from Starwars. I really like what the dice system can do, and would like to use this in my games, but wanted to make sure things weren't too out of wack.

Change Log from 1.0 to 1.1:

• Lots of formatting changes. Reduced the font size, changed the background image, clarified some of the wording, etc.
  • Added a true Foci system to bring Foci from Numenera into Genesys.
  • Added a guide for how to convert existing cyphers from the Numenera books into Genesys mechanics.

Change Log from 1.1 to 1.2:

• Added a true career system w/ unique abilities for each
  • Added more talents
  • Added some mutations
  • Added an example of character creation
  • Changed the skill list (and how some characteristics paired with skills)

What is to come:

• A GMing section, once I have more time and a bit more thoughts on what all I want in it.
  • Oddities, and incorporating them into the character creation process.
  • More mutations for the PCs to choose, and for the GM to throw at the players if they play around with the iron wind. These are proving to be surprisingly tricky.
  • More formatting as I find typos and awkwardly done sections.

Link for the current version of the project (it is 26 pages, mostly mechanic stuff): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fTHj4qvrH4eLM2OIcQ7uYEM25FLonL4G/view?usp=sharing

Thank you guys for taking the time to read and review my work. I love the Numenera setting, and have been trying to find a system to run it in for some time (I had some major problems with Cypher, enough to push me on the weird quest I am now pursuing).

Things to know/Edit:

I made some pretty big tweaks to a couple skills. This is some of the rational behind the biggest one, condensing a few of the social skills into one.

Empathy was then condensed because I looked at the social section, and given how it is like its own combat system, I compared the different social skills to the combat skills, and while it is true, Coercion, Leadership, etc are very different. But in all of my years of gaming (as a GM and player in various systems, your experiences may be different), those would only be used once or twice in a scene, while charm/deception would be used multiple times. So that mindset, a social character goes into a social conflict, and has (by default) Negotiation, Leadership, Charm, Deception and Coercion to use, while in a combat scenario often times someone will use their main combat skill and call it good. So to be effective in their chosen conflicts, a warrior, generally, only needs to invest in one skill, while a socialite needs to invest in at least three of the social skills. This is why I chose to condense the social skills, as it wasn't that I felt they were too similar, but instead that the amount of investment a person needed to do to be effective seemed unfair.

Edits: Formatting, clarifying word choice, updating the project as a whole...

Edited by Garfazz
More info, and smoothing out my word choice.

Awesome!! I really like Numenera but as you I find the Cypher system a bit lacking so this conversion is a godsend. I will have a closer look but the only initial comment I can make is that the font size seems a bit too big. maybe you should reduce it a bit.

More elaborate comments later.

Thanks for the time and effort you put nto this.

15 hours ago, Garfazz said:

Exists   Partially Out of Phas   e 

This sounds a lot like a Heroic Ability from the Realms of Terrinoth book, but it could also easily be covered by a talent or two

After a further review, here are some comments:

- Step 8 of character creation is a bit undefined. I can get up to +20xp and gain a debt similar to EOTE. Maybe you should elaborate on the types of debts and their effect.

- I am not convinced by the changes on the skill list:

1 - Expedition instead of Driving, Piloting and so is strange but I will have to see it in play.

2 - I find puting Streetwise into Skulduggery not very appropiate. I think they are different enough to be separate skills.

3 - Empathy globalizing Coercion, Leadership. Negotiation and specially Cool is also strange. I would keep them separate.

4- The Power/Shaping/Nano skill need some explanation of what they can do.

- The Talent Greater powers is a good idea but as you have created it the numbers do not fit. The first iteration (Tier 1) gives you 1 spell type. If I purchase it as a Tier 2 then I get another 2 spell types (for a total of 3). Later I can buy it again as a Tier 3 talent getting anbother 2 speel types (for a total of 5). Considering that at the moment there are only 4 spell types, then purchasing this talent for the 3rd time seems not worthy. In addition the comment about purchasing it as a Tier 5 talent does not have any sense as, as a ranked talent, you can buy it as a Tier 1,2,3...

Well this is it for now. Besides of those comments I believe you are doing a great work and would love to see what you do!

Version 1.1 of the PDF is up! In the main post you will see the link to the project, and the overall changes that were made.

Version 1.2 is up! In the main post you can find a link to the project and the change logs.

Dude this is awesome, i'm running a Numenera inspired game and its helped a lot. Thanks.

Interesting ideas. I love the setting and would also like to use Genesys. Here is probably what I would do:

Archetypes

• Coraoan
  • Desert Dweller
  • Frostborn
  • Elychinious
  • Gaian
  • Proxima
  • Rayskrelan
  • Vralkan
  • Naven
  • Ghanic
  • Draolic
  • Thaemic
  • Malvic
  • Iscobean
  • Pythoron
  • Ancuini
  • Ephrem
  • Bazian
  • Icebound
  • Wastelander

Species

• Artifically Intelligent
  • Calmarite
  • Diruk
  • Echryni
  • Golthiar
  • Mlox
  • Naiadapt
  • Nalurus
  • Mutant
  • Ormyrl
  • Skeane
  • Varjellan
  • Lattimore

Careers

Nano

Glaive

Jack

Glint

Seeker

Arkus

Delve

Wright

General Skills

Athletics

Cool

Coordination

Discipline

Driving

Mechanics

Medicine

Operating

Perception

Piloting

Resilience

Riding

Skulduggery

Stealth

Streetwise

Survival

Vigilance

Esoteric Skills

Cyphers (understanding and use of Cyphers)

Nano-Sorcery (manipulation of Esoteric effects through the manipulation of the Datasphere)

Psionics (manipulation of Esoteric effects through the manipulation of psionic ability)

Interface (manipulation of Esoteric effects through the manipulation of a machine interface)

Combat Skills

Brawl

Gunnery

Melee (Light)

Melee (Heavy)

Ranged

Social Skills

Charm

Coercion

Deception

Leadership

Negotiation

Knowledge Skills

Numenera (knowledge of numenera devices and phenemona)

9th World (knowledge of the history, geography, laws and locations of the 9th world)

Science (Knowledge of geology, agriculture, biology, chemistry, physics, politics etc)

Esoteries

The magic rules are fully used in Numenera and although most commoners will see it and understand it as magic, those with forbidden knowledge understand it as the raw manipulation of nanotechnology. Rather than spells, a talented Nanos creates Estoteries , through the use of the Nano-Sorcery, Psionics or Interface skill.

Nano-Sorcery: attack, barrier, curse, conjure, dispel, utility

Psionics: Attack, Augment, Barrier, Curse, Utility

Edited by Justindoodler

Thanks for this, one day I will try to use it.