Real American Heroes Setting

By Jimmifett, in Genesys

So I made a thing. WIP.

Still converting stuff from my one shot to my finalized-ish rules.

Thoughts on balancing issues (if any) appreciated.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AruUs7BCPeghiqEe3y0QnZPC-e7pEQ

I entirely blame Zszree for everything.

Yo Joe!

Edited by Jimmifett

I'll be taking a look at this later.

As a fan coming from the 80's cartoons, then later the Marvel comics, how would you handle some of the more over the top ninja-based stunts? Something like Snake Eyes pulling off a 15' vertical jump, or Storm Shadow throwing a shuriken down the barrel of a gun? I was toying around with ways to utilize the Force Die from the Star Wars rpg, but hadn't come up with anything I thought really worked. I guarantee that at least one of my players is going to insist on being a ninja. With the game set in the 80's when a ninja was still essentially a superhero, I'm going to need to come up with a way to handle this type of stuff.

6 minutes ago, crazytuco said:

I'll be taking a look at this later.

As a fan coming from the 80's cartoons, then later the Marvel comics, how would you handle some of the more over the top ninja-based stunts? Something like Snake Eyes pulling off a 15' vertical jump, or Storm Shadow throwing a shuriken down the barrel of a gun? I was toying around with ways to utilize the Force Die from the Star Wars rpg, but hadn't come up with anything I thought really worked. I guarantee that at least one of my players is going to insist on being a ninja. With the game set in the 80's when a ninja was still essentially a superhero, I'm going to need to come up with a way to handle this type of stuff.

If Snake eyes rolls a triumph or 4+ advantage on an athletics check, difficulty 4, I'd allow the jump so his feet reach that height, otherwise his outstretched arms reach that height.

Shuriken down the barrel is easy. Ranged (Light) with the Aim maneuver that targets a specific region in exchange for setback. Success, hits the gun with likely disarm, Triumph or 4 advantage, down the barrel jamming it.

1 hour ago, Jimmifett said:

If Snake eyes rolls a triumph or 4+ advantage on an athletics check, difficulty 4, I'd allow the jump so his feet reach that height, otherwise his outstretched arms reach that height.

Shuriken down the barrel is easy. Ranged (Light) with the Aim maneuver that targets a specific region in exchange for setback. Success, hits the gun with likely disarm, Triumph or 4 advantage, down the barrel jamming it.

You could even take a few steps back to make it even easier to incorporate. Just expand a triumph or a bunch of advantage on a normal ranged (light) check. No need to even specify a called shot.

Well done, Jimmi! And I'll take the blame, like a champ! Or like a Joe! LOL!

This inspires me to work on Primeval Thule more too. hehehe

Would a Talent be a good way to address the 15' jump? Something like:

Extrodinary Leap - Teir 3; Active: Manuever; Your character may suffer 3 strain and take the Extrodinary Leap maneuver, moving to any location within short range, including vertical leaps. The GM may determine that some situations do not offer enough space to perform this manuever.

Or, if that is too powerful, the talent could require an action.

One could also flavor the talent as a parkour move, calling it Wall Runner or something similar.

This talent seems balanced enough, at tier 3 with a strain cost, I don't think a roll would be necessary in most cases. I'll compare against other talents and force powers.

thanks!

I think there's already a talent that fills that role called Freerunning . I know it's at least in the expanded talent list.

So it is, and already on my setting talent list.

Took a look at Freerunning, and it is pretty sweet. Only 1 strain for the same effect. Fitting for the outlandish stunts you'd see in RAH, I suppose.

I really dig the animal archetypes. That's really a cool idea.

31 minutes ago, crazytuco said:

I really dig the animal archetypes. That's really a cool idea.

Was having a hard time coming up with good archetypes, had some really stupid ideas. Then the Metal Gear Solid codenames occurred to me and made perfect sense. Then I had 6 + Average Joe, decided to add another 6 for different takes, and Bob's your uncle.

Just updated with Roadblock and Lady Jaye converted from my one shot, and some more weapons to accommodate her and ninjas.

Have you figured out how you're going to differentiate Crimson Guard from the base Cobra soldier? One of the ideas I'm kicking around is a storyline where the PCs are tracking down Tomax and Xamot who have gotten themselves embroiled in Miami's drug trade of the 80's. If I go with that, the Crimson Guard will likely play heavily into the storyline.

yeah, I'm bringing them and the cobra officer in from my one shot today. I'll probably create Fred VII as an elite crimson guard example

Cobra Officer, Crimson Guard added. Cross bow tweaked to match RoT hand crossbow, Ashiko and Shuko added for moar ninja stuff.

If doing an 80s Miami based game (esp since I live there), I'll have to look into the Water Moccasin and Killer W.H.A.L.E., but i've never statted vehicles.

One thing I'm really thankful for is the fact that the blueprints for every vehicle Hasbro produced are online.

And when I say "blueprints" I mean the ones that came in the box that had like 5-20 features pointed out.

Like this: blueprint-1.jpg

Here's the final boss from the Operation Hunting Party one-shot.

She's a hard target, doesn't want to die, hopefully you acquired missile launchers. Good thing there is an AC-130 on standby...

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AruUs7BCPeghiqE6BNU5Yd6j14Vt9Q

Wow dude! 50 pieces of awesome and glad that AC-130 IS on standby. ?

I was thinking about this setting, and how I kinda wanted to add this sort of thing if I ever finish working on the Transformers.

So far this is looking very cool! Glad I searched! Here I was thinking about re-skinning Age of Rebellion and calling it good! :)

I was just about to start working on the same thing today. If you have that adventure I would be grateful as a one shot test of the provided materials.

Waiting on more awesome material

Yo Joe!

Just curious if you ever finished this? I've had some thoughts about creating something similar lol.