Dark Sun

By Luctius, in Your Settings

As a long-time fan of the setting and member of a cabal of dedicated Athasians, I salute you (and pass along your work - 5E doesn't have an official Dark Sun setting yet!)

Thanks for putting the effort into such a nice document!

I am looking to run a D&D 4E Dark Sun game in the near future, but after running FFG star Star Wars for a year and half I am making notes about how I would do this kind of setting In Genesys.

I love the Genesys/Star Wars/NDS system, and I also love Dark Sun. But they tell very, very different stories.

Would anyone be interested in giving me some insights about why you are attracted to combining them?

17 minutes ago, BrickSteelhead said:

I love the Genesys/Star Wars/NDS system, and I also love Dark Sun. But they tell very, very different stories.

Would anyone be interested in giving me some insights about why you are attracted to combining them?

even though im not running a dark sun game i would be very tempted in the future. Sitting staring at my old 2nd edition box in my shelf behind me, but as much as i love the world going back to 2nd edition ad&d would just make me loose sleep and turn milk sour. :)

Why the different stories thing ? Dark sun tells stories. What system you use to tell them is up to you and the game group. So i guess to answer your question if i would run a genesys dark sun game. Would be to draw benefit from the narrative dice system telling great stories in a fantastic game world without the need to buy new books or learn a new (or old) systems and teach it to my game group.

9 hours ago, BrickSteelhead said:

I've only read 5 of the fiction books that surround Dark Sun, and I've played a whole lot in Athas across several D&D editions and know the setting pretty well - I think Genesys would work pretty well for this setting! The D&D mechanics are so cut and dry, where as Genesys leaves a lot of room for interpretation. It adapts the the fiction to a game really well in my mind. I feel like that Genesys is just a toolbox and once skinned properly for the setting, it can perform really well just about anywhere, Athas included. The burden, as always, is on the group to make an entertaining story, and I feel like Genesys provides hefty options to do so.

I've run dark sun campaigns in 3.5e, savage worlds, and even fate core. with my new genesys core book purchase, i was looking for a conversion for Dark Sun. Boy am I excited for this. Luctius has been hard at work(or was. the last post was a while ago 😝 ) I am new to genesys so i am still wrapping my head around the system, but i love what I'm reading so far.

I am meeting with my group tonight after finishing an excellent Coriolis game. We plan to submit ideas for our next game and I hope we all vote for Dark Sun!

Alright, so one of my players wants to play telekinetic, but the move powers have the same text as the bind. was this a mistake or is there no text for the move psionic powers yet?