Feel cheated

By Bradders77, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

2 minutes ago, Kalrhin said:

Do you have any numbers to back up that Destiny has crashed really hard? Or that FFG had no money? or that Netrunner was dying?

I only have anecdotal information, but like many others have told you in this thread, Netrunner was thriving and had a more active meta than in previous years. I see SW Destiny being sold everywhere (not only at boardgame stores). This is for me a sign that the game is doing incredibly well. The only one I am sure of is that FFG had no lack of funds. One of the things that Asmodee and its purchase brought was financial stability (big risks like purchasing the dice factory can are much smaller with the support of a larger company behind you).

Companies are always worried about their quarterly reports no matter how much money they have and FFG still has their own quarteries being it's own studio. So yeah, money is always an issue no matter how much is in the bank. By lack of cash I mean, how much did they make the past quarter/year and how much did they spend. The difference is the cash supply. Rolling out Runewars, Legion and Destiny is a lot of cash to burn through, legion just came out, Runewars did not much and Destiny is a problem.

Destiny went from a large number of users on the forums here to almost as few posts now as there are on these boards. At first getting boxes for Destiny was hard since they were all sold out and now they are selling just above wholesale and no shortage at all. Singles of the top cards were sold out for a good while, now there is a good supply of them and prices have drop. This indicates people are doing more selling of cards than buying. There use to be a lot of videos about Destiny on youtube, now they are few. So yeah, it has died out a lot. BTW, when you say Destiny is being sold everywhere, not just board game stores, well they don't pay for shelf space at those board game stores, they do pay for it at places like target. It isn't cheap for FFG to sell it "everywhere". This is how a very popular game like X-wing gets the $15 discount cores at target on closeout.

Netrunner has huge at one point, until it became notrunner and struggled for a few years. The game lost a lot of it's player base by all accounts over the years. Yes the revised core helped and there are a lot of people saying Netrunner made a come back. What we don't know is when that decision was made. R&R having the Omega symbol at least suggests they knew this for quite some time. That was reviled back in early March and with the typesetting we are looking at the beginning of this year at least. Wouldn't surprise me they had to make the renewal at the one year left mark back in Oct. If so, all they would have to go on is presales and you are right, it is Asmodee not FFG that would make the call on renewal. Clearly the people at FFG wanted Netrunner to go on. Asmodee could have easily said enough with the bleeding of the cash. Rich people generally don't throw money away and are very careful with how they spend it. It is broke people who spend every dime they have and every dime they don't have. Financial stability often just means financial discipline.

Anyways I like the Android IP and interested in seeing what, if any, LCG they do next with it. Boggs is a competent designer that could do good things in this space. Hopefully FFG has learned from their mistakes and makes these LCGs easier to get into.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:55 PM, CommissarFeesh said:

Every single thing FFG have done suggests they expected to get the licence renewed. They wouldn't have scheduled a Core 2.0 if they didn't expect it to be an entry point into a new metagame.

I would guess WOTC got tired of the competition with MTG and decided either pay a sky high bill for the license or say goodbye. Since the core gameplay is all likely inside that license IP we can consider Netrunner complete though maybe WOTC relaunches it with a new theme... or something crazy like using those mechanics for a new MTG game.

FFG will no doubt focus on using the assets they created for ANR on new products since you have plenty of art and theme to draw from that you already paid for.

17 hours ago, Mep said:

Companies are always worried about their quarterly reports no matter how much money they have and FFG still has their own quarteries being it's own studio. So yeah, money is always an issue no matter how much is in the bank. By lack of cash I mean, how much did they make the past quarter/year and how much did they spend. The difference is the cash supply. Rolling out Runewars, Legion and Destiny is a lot of cash to burn through, legion just came out, Runewars did not much and Destiny is a problem.

Destiny went from a large number of users on the forums here to almost as few posts now as there are on these boards. At first getting boxes for Destiny was hard since they were all sold out and now they are selling just above wholesale and no shortage at all. Singles of the top cards were sold out for a good while, now there is a good supply of them and prices have drop. This indicates people are doing more selling of cards than buying. There use to be a lot of videos about Destiny on youtube, now they are few. So yeah, it has died out a lot. BTW, when you say Destiny is being sold everywhere, not just board game stores, well they don't pay for shelf space at those board game stores, they do pay for it at places like target. It isn't cheap for FFG to sell it "everywhere". This is how a very popular game like X-wing gets the $15 discount cores at target on closeout.

Netrunner has huge at one point, until it became notrunner and struggled for a few years. The game lost a lot of it's player base by all accounts over the years. Yes the revised core helped and there are a lot of people saying Netrunner made a come back. What we don't know is when that decision was made. R&R having the Omega symbol at least suggests they knew this for quite some time. That was reviled back in early March and with the typesetting we are looking at the beginning of this year at least. Wouldn't surprise me they had to make the renewal at the one year left mark back in Oct. If so, all they would have to go on is presales and you are right, it is Asmodee not FFG that would make the call on renewal. Clearly the people at FFG wanted Netrunner to go on. Asmodee could have easily said enough with the bleeding of the cash. Rich people generally don't throw money away and are very careful with how they spend it. It is broke people who spend every dime they have and every dime they don't have. Financial stability often just means financial discipline.

Anyways I like the Android IP and interested in seeing what, if any, LCG they do next with it. Boggs is a competent designer that could do good things in this space. Hopefully FFG has learned from their mistakes and makes these LCGs easier to get into.

I ask you again...do you have any kind of proof for all of your statements? You say "Runewars did not do much", "Destiny is a problem" "Netrunner struggled for a few years", and many claims that I highly doubt. I also disagree that destiny is dying as you say . I am subscribed to several youtubers and they keep on producing videos as usual. I have no idea on this forum as I do not regularly check it, but it has never been super active. Also, the price of singles has no impact at all on FFG since they do not profit from those. Price of singles went down simply because production caught up with demand (which is a very healthy hting for the game). X-wing for sale on target because they are doing a 2.0.

What I can tell is WRONG are statements like "Companies are always worried on their quarterly reports". The little I know about business is that buying a license does not hurt them. Sure, you spend money in getting the license, but your company gains an asset worth exactly that much. Another WRONG statement is that "it isn't cheap for FFG to sell everywhere". FFG gets the same profit whether the box is sold at 100 or 50 or 10! FFG sells to a distributer who in turns gives it to shops. If target sells the games for 10$ (which btw it doesnt) it just means that they will not further buy...but FFG still makes profit

Bottom line is, you want to be convinced that FFG did not want to renew the license....sure, go ahead. If you want to keep an eye on possible alternatives, then look for all the hints that people posted in this forum.

The x-wing core set closeouts at Target was over a year ago. You clearly have no idea how things are sold a big retail box stores yet alone what a dump of cards on the secondary market actually indicates. So no reason continuing this conversation, have a good one.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, mulletcheese said:

Don't give up hope.

WotC hired the lead designer of netrunner (lukas) before they took back the netrunner licence. They own the CCG era cards and the game mechanics.

I would not be surprised if netrunner, minus the android, continued with WotC.

Would you continue to play it WotC released new corps/runners that were compatible with android netrunner?

I would be surprised. If WotC released an updated version of Netrunner, they'd never license FFG's Android setting. And more importantly: They'd turn it (back) into a CCG.

But they won't since it might potentially reduce sales for M:tG.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, jhaelen said:

I would be surprised. If WotC released an updated version of Netrunner, they'd never license FFG's Android setting. And more importantly: They'd turn it (back) into a CCG.

But they won't since it might potentially reduce sales for M:tG.

They don't need to licence the android part.

Licensing netrunner to FFG would have hurt magic sales, continuing the game would get some of that money back

16 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

Licensing netrunner to FFG would have hurt magic sales, continuing the game would get some of that money back

Not necessarily. If there's no Netrunner, the Ex-Netrunner players may decide to play MtG instead. It's definitely what WotC would prefer, imho.

As per usual Mep has zero idea what he's talking about.

Takes lack of forum traffic for Destiny to mean something while ignoring the fact that most players never used the forums qnd opted for Discord abd Facebook, both of which continue to grow in participants.

Tis normal with Mep.