State of LCGs

By Sildric, in Living Card Games

On 10/28/2018 at 6:16 AM, Khudzlin said:

FFG announced a new box on October, 9th, so about 3 weeks ago. The lack of announcement for the next cycle is still worrying, though.

FFG already announced they were delaying the next cycle for "reasons". Going right into Store Champ season and affecting Regionals. GRRM can't finish the next book. The TV show has muddied the waters. The restricted list... I'm sure the game will get the Targ and Bara boxes and it may get one more cycle, but I'm not confident beyond that at all.

8 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

FFG already announced they were delaying the next cycle for "reasons". Going right into Store Champ season and affecting Regionals. GRRM can't finish the next book. The TV show has muddied the waters. The restricted list... I'm sure the game will get the Targ and Bara boxes and it may get one more cycle, but I'm not confident beyond that at all.

Why? The series isn't dependent on the books. It lasted for a decade and just switched to this edition. They just need to use new themes. Although it will probably get stale after a while. That or they should move into the broader world of A Song of Ice and Fire.
There is the history books, spinoffs, etc.

3 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

Why? The series isn't dependent on the books. It lasted for a decade and just switched to this edition. They just need to use new themes. Although it will probably get stale after a while. That or they should move into the broader world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

The game is dependent on the popularity of the series and the ability of FFG to keep people interested in their competitive games. Thrones lasted for what, 6 years as a CCG, and realistically 6 more as the 1st ed LCG? The show is winding down. There's no new book in the foreseeable future. The game has seen some bad balancing or design moves in the last year. How many IP games really thrive after dipping into side content?

On 10/31/2018 at 5:03 PM, Radix2309 said:

That or they should move into the broader world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

My understanding is that FFG only has the license to the ASOIAF series. The other material didn't exist when the contract was struck.

1 hour ago, Kakita Shiro said:

My understanding is that FFG only has the license to the ASOIAF series. The other material didn't exist when the contract was struck.

That would suck.