Shooting into melee severity

By hamooding, in Runewars Rules Questions

Scenario: Player A's Oathsworn charge at player B's Reanimates giving them 1 Panic token. Player B then shoots at the Oathsworn causing the Reanimates to suffer a severity 1 moral test.

Question: Can this severity be improved by the panic tokens on the Reanimates making it a severity 2 test?

53.1 When a unit suffers a morale test, that unit’s opponent draws a number of cards from the morale deck equal to the severity specified by the game effect that caused the test. Then, he chooses one of the drawn cards and resolves its effects.

53.2 During an attack, the severity of a morale test is equal to the number of morale icons and panic tokens spent.

From what I understand, this shooting into Melee causes the unit to strictly suffer a severity 1 test that is NOT upgradeable because it is not an attack. Did I get this right?

Edited by hamooding

65.3 After an attacker performs a ranged attack against an enemy
that is engaged with one or more of the attacker’s allied units,
each of those allied units suffers a severity-one morale test.

RRG 12.1. Any time a unit with a panic token suffers a morale test, you can spend those panic to increase he severity.

Yes, you could trigger a severity three test on your own guys by accident with archers.

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

RRG 12.1. Any time a unit with a panic token suffers a morale test, you can spend those panic to increase he severity.

Yes, you could trigger a severity three test on your own guys by accident with archers.

I wish the rules are not so **** scattered around the book. Thank you good sir.

2 hours ago, hamooding said:

I wish the rules are not so **** scattered around the book. Thank you good sir.

It’s a scenario that happens more than I would like when I play Waiqar

12.1 also specifies that you can only use panic tokens to trigger a morale test when a unit is defending. They can be used to make it more severe at any time. I can see how anyone skimming the RRG would read it a different way. You have to actually pause on it.