Official Rules Interpretations

By Szycha, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hey guys, I think, that it would be very helpfull to make a separate topic with all the rules queries answered by developers to make a handy compendium. (If someone would be kind enough to pin it it would be TOTALLY AWESOME)

The way I see it is just for everyone to post their rules queries and answers WITHOUT any more complex talks about it because a) it's pointless as we can consider the answers offical b) it will mess up this topic

EDIT. As A1bert noted, there is a simmiliar topic on BGG forums, so check it up!

I will start :)

Rules Question:
Hello, I have some questions about IMPERIAL ASSAULT rules 1. Can you play PROVOKE on the exhausted enemy group with your last activation during turn, to force this group to activate first in the following TURN? (the problem is at the moment of playing a CC that group is not able to activate, but when it is resolved after status phase it is ready, so it is able to activate.) 2. Can Jedi Luke spend movement points DURING his Heroic attack (the rules forbid spendind movement points only during actions, while heroic is not an action.) Alternatively, is the heroic attack actually an action, but not counted toward 2 actions limit? In case, this attack is some sort of action, does Luke bleed while performing it) 3. Does playing on the lam in your activation (in response to parting shot/overcharged weapons etc.) count as gaining Movement points DURING your activation (and add them to the movement pool) or OUT OF YOUR ACTIVATION (as a part of interrupt) which enables you to spend them instantly. Yours, Greg
Hi Greg,
1) This interpretation of Provoke is interesting. Let me think about that one for a while. If it’s relevant for the GenCon tournament let me know today or come see me before the event (I’ll be Marshal).
2) Jedi Luke cannot spend movement points during a Heroic attack. This interaction cannot be satisfactorily solved with the strict definition of “action” provided in the written rules. Movement points (and other timing issues, specifically interrupting abilities) are also a known point of confusion that I would like to clarify further and more comprehensively in the future. For now:
  • Luke cannot spend movement points during a Heroic attack.
  • Luke does not Bleed after performing a Heroic attack.
3)Strangely, when played during your own activation, On the Lam would simply pool your movement points. They are not gained outside your activation or as part of a special action, so there is no opportunity to spend them as an interrupt.
Hope that helps!

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
[email protected]
Rules Question:
Hello, Firstly I would like to remind of my pre-gencon question, that needes some more attention ;) "Can you play PROVOKE on the exhausted enemy group with your last activation during turn, to force this group to activate first in the following TURN? (the problem is at the moment of playing a CC that group is not able to activate, but when it is resolved after status phase it is ready, so it is able to activate.) " Secondly, can you use invasive procedure, while there are no adjacent figures just to become focused? I think, that is interpration is really nice mega wise (it makes 0-0-0 more viable figure) but it leads to some consistency problems with order hit, because it would mean, that the first sentence isn't the cost, which results in order hiting without VPs to pay for it. Regards, Greg
Hi Greg,
After thinking about and discussing it a lot, Provoke (and any other “active next if able”) abilities only affect the current round.
The translation would be close to: “If that figure’s group could perform the very next activation this round, it must.”
Secondly, yes, 0-0-0 can become Focused even if there is no adjacent figure. Order Hit is marginally different given that its using some VP rules, but I’ll consider a clarification in the next FAQ.
Thanks for the questions!
Edited by Szycha

To not duplicate work, how about adding to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1373530/ffg-unofficial-answers-rules-questions-thread-read

(I have not added all of the little bits though. Some have been too obvious to me.)

(Edit: quite a lot of the past rulings have already ended up in some form in the FAQ/errata. And new ones - within reason - are being collected for the next FAQ, whenever it will be.)

Edited by a1bert
29 minutes ago, a1bert said:

To not duplicate work, how about adding to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1373530/ffg-unofficial-answers-rules-questions-thread-read

(I have not added all of the little bits though. Some have been too obvious to me.)

gr8! Didn't notice this topic. However, I think, that Official forums is the best place for this kind of content. I will just post the link then!

Edited by Szycha

We should start a topic labelled:

"Ask a1bert" the easiest way to clear up rules queries in my mind.

I know whenever I see a topic that I also need to go over, the first responder I look for is a1bert.