Making a station

By LinoB, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Hi everyone i am working on a space station model i was going to put it on shapeway once finish but then i read about the guy who was making station and get stopped by disney so do you think i should go on or abort the project and make a design of my own ?

here a pic of work in progress

CaptureStation.jpg

Just put it up anyway and call it Sci-Fi Repair Station or something.

Space station is Space station, design seems quite standard to me, as far as you do not name it with something which is Star Wars material (i.E. golan defense, XQ-station, Mon Calmari or Kuat, etc...), or if it is not entirely a copy/paste from something in the Movies/Anime/Novels, I do not see how they could forbid you anything.

there are several hundreds Sci-Fi world that use space stations after all, and they do not have the rights to all

Edited by gounour

I think the guy you are referencing was the former owner of Spacerocks.

The station wasn't the issue that got him shut down. It was the fact he was selling modified casts of FFG ships for both X-wing and Armada.

Looks beautiful. It would definitely find a home in my collection when I get around to a Stations expansion!

thanks for the reply and yes Spacerocks is exactly the guy im talking about.

So from now i will go on with the project and release it once finished !

Hi everyone some update about the project !

The station is done and ordered from shapeway i will make it public once i get it , just to be sure everything is ok or if modif need to be made.

So in about 2-3 week it should be available :) , i have also started to make some defense satellite model i will post some pic in the next day.

here some screen and render of final 3D model:

Captureblend.JPG

Capturestattop.JPG

CaptureStatMid.JPG

Looks fantastic.

Those 3 antenna on the top look VSD flimsy. Can I suggest making them and the truncated cone that they sit in detachable with a plug underneath and a hole to fit it in the top of the main station. If the hole could also have enough space for two tiny magnets, one glued to the station the other to the plug that would be great for transport.

The six little landing pads on struts also look doomed to snap off. Could you add a little more to the point where they join the main hull. Something like a washer or an extra tiny girder out of sight underneath.

9 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

Looks fantastic.

Those 3 antenna on the top look VSD flimsy. Can I suggest making them and the truncated cone that they sit in detachable with a plug underneath and a hole to fit it in the top of the main station. If the hole could also have enough space for two tiny magnets, one glued to the station the other to the plug that would be great for transport.

The six little landing pads on struts also look doomed to snap off. Could you add a little more to the point where they join the main hull. Something like a washer or an extra tiny girder out of sight underneath.

Thanks for the comment

the antenna are all join together and are 1 cm tall like the one on the neb-B but bigger in diameter, but i agree they may still broke, i like the idea of making the antenna part separate i will just need to figure were to sprue it on the main station. the pod are one of the reason i want it before public release so if they are to brittle i can make adjustment.

Edited by LinoB

Amazing work!

On 6/15/2018 at 10:20 PM, LinoB said:

Hi everyone some update about the project !

The station is done and ordered from shapeway i will make it public once i get it , just to be sure everything is ok or if modif need to be made.

So in about 2-3 week it should be available :) , i have also started to make some defense satellite model i will post some pic in the next day.

here some screen and render of final 3D model:

Captureblend.JPG

Capturestattop.JPG

CaptureStatMid.JPG

I love it!

Some quick questions:

1- is the station shaped base included?

2- if the answer to 1 is no, what type of base is it designed for.

3- what shapeway's materials do you plan on making it available for?

4- what is the ballpark price for each material?

11 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I love it!

Some quick questions:

1- is the station shaped base included?

2- if the answer to 1 is no, what type of base is it designed for.

3- what shapeway's materials do you plan on making it available for?

4- what is the ballpark price for each material?

Hi and thanks for the comment !

to answer your question

1 and 2 - the station came in 3 part: Base , mid section and top section . for the base i make 2 desing available(pic below).

3 - Both bases are available in white natural versatile (formerly know as white strong and flexible) , mid section is available in WNV and in FUD,

top section is only available in FUD because of some WNV restriction.

4 - because you can choose various part and material it make the price range for the 3 part goes from 58 to 80 US$ .

5 - not asked but the total dimension are: Height 10.5 cm / 4.1 inch, diameter +- 8 cm / 3.1 inch.

CaptureBase01.JPG

Hi everyone

I just received my station and did my own quality check, first time i do a model for 3D print so was not sure about some stuff . I am overall pretty satisfied with the quality and really amaze by the level of detail FUD can do !

@Mad Cat concern about pods an antenna - the pod are surprisingly strong but the antenna have bent a little in the shipping but did not break :) I liked the idea of making them separate, but actualy the size of the antenna and the little cone under its is so small that it make me think it will be prone to be lost. I think the best way to deal with that issue is probably to reduce just a bit the length of the antenna.

Not an issue for me, but some people may find it too small, so i will upload an alternate Larger variant to be available !

So i will proceed with the minor adjustment and will make it avail went i officialy open my shop next week.

here some pic, sorry if its blurr but my camera is not top of the line . JP5eO6k.jpg

zxCCqWn.jpg

ScP0GUg.jpg

That looks amazing! Not to get my hopes up, but are asteroid, debris, and dust fields a possibility in the future? Thanks and keep up the good work!

Looks really cool man.

That's nice! Let us know when you have it listed!

Thanks for all the goods comments :)

@Admiral Calkins haha you read my mind, yep debris, asteroid and dust field are on my todo list !

I am also working on more stations design(including unarmed station), with all parts compatible with other stations.