How Are You Using Terrinoth for Fantasy Genesys?

By Psychopomp, in Realms of Terrinoth

I had a good read-through of Terrinoth after the PDF dropped, but I haven't had a chance to run any Genesys since. I was just wondering if anyone was using it as a more generic fantasy toolkit for Genesys, and how's that working out for you?

I'm especially interested if anyone's had a lot of luck running dungeon adventures, and any tips or tricks you might share.

Honestly, if this thread turns into discussion for things GMs and players learn about running fantasy adventures in Genesys, I'm cool with that. I'm just interested in what's going on with the game and looking for inspiration to run Genesys Fantasy/Terrinoth myself.

Check out @verdantsf lead Community game if you want an example of how we've been running it. I think we have a dungeon crawl style adventure happening on sunday, so that should be up by mon or tuesday.

Dreamwalkers of Mennara

Currently playing in the official setting as one of two players.

We have Valeria Wrey, Envoy. Scion of a powerful merchant family, who's investigating a family business contact that was quite threatening through letters, and may have had something to do with her parents disappearance.

Think fantasy Lara Croft, but not boring.

The other is Brother Illium, Disciple. A heavily misanthropic Knight of Kellos. Also an elf. With powerful faith and skill at arms and absolutely zero social skill or desire to acquire any.

Think Judge Dredd as an elf. With less of a sense of humor.

TL;DR, the shady business partner was involved is some black magic, possibly human sacrifice, and became a Wraith. Illium destroyed it. We later found evidence of an evil noble, a necromancer cult, and session 5 involved Wrey brazenly talking her way into a goblin camp hired by the cult to excavate some old ruins while Illium bides his time in a crow cage, waiting to murder every single thing in sight that isn't Wrey.

I'm just using RoT as a sourceboook. It's given a lot of good scope for talents, magic, and especially critters. But after having run WHFRP off and on for a number of years I was actually looking forward to creating a home-brewed setting that wasn't bound by someone else's vision and limits.

That is what actually drew me to Genesys in the first place and I'm glad that RoT contains enough content to be useful with requiring me to use their fluff and background as well.

I’m running a homespun S&S setting.. I’m using the rules elaborations in RoT (heroic abilities, new talents, equipment, mounted combat etc) . But I’m also heavily mining the adversaries for abilities, examples of spells, variations on equipment etc....

other than the above, not using the setting-specific content...

Seems to be going well so far, and RoT has really helped over and above the CRB. Given me more confidence, more examples to follow etc..

It's a sourcebook for me. Genesys + Terrinoth finally has me developing a campaign world that has been an ever growing pile of notes that started almost 3 decades ago when developing my own defunct game system. :)

As seems to be the trend, I'm pulling out components from RoT for my own fantasy home-brew. The heroic abilities were a hit when I introduced them. The rune stones are intresting, and I'm working out how to integrate them into my existing approach to magic items. Adversaries are a great resource.

The setting content is great, and a 'canon' game would be fun to run. My group rotates five campaigns and four GMs, so unfortunately it'll be a while before we can explore Terrinoth proper.

Edited by O the Owl

I'm just about done with my homebrew setting and Terrinoth was extremely useful in helping me complete it. While i didn't use any of the lore or fluff from the book; it was very helpful in helping me find a place to start with all of the nitty gritty details. Things like species, career, equipment, etc..