Suggestion: Core Set Complementary Pack

By Kyzonu, in Player community

I'm not sure if there is a proper page to make this kind of thread, but here we go:

not having 3 copies of certain cards feels like an unnecessary handicap in the core set; and paying for a whole other box just to get a few cards is quite a waste of money (especially since you won't even have 3 copies of everything, thanks to the one-offs like unexpected courage)

IMO, it would be nice to have a separate pack which comes with the remaining copies of core set cards. if my counting is correct, it would be a total of 64 player cards, which could be sold for the value of $15 (the cost of a 60-cards AP)

A single copy of Celebrians Stone was a pain when I tried my hand at core-set deck building. So much so that I'm currently awaiting delivery of 3 adventure packs.

Do most of the other cards come in triplicate in the adventure packs?

I do find it amusing that when reading about deck building, the number of core sets isn't assumed to be one. I find it odd to consider buying multiple boxes.

People ask about it since the beginning. For every LCG. It not going to happens. Consider printing your own cards and play with sleeves if you don't want to buy multiple core set. That is what I done before buying them.

Usually people complain more about unexpected courage, it is seen more often in 3x in decks.

People generally talk about their own experiment. Not because everyone must do the same, but because it is the only things they know well. If you want people who talk about your play style, don't expect too much for people who don't play it ;). I build decks with all the cards available so I let discussion about limited cardpool (or progression style) for the people who know it well.

All cards come in 3 in adventure packs. Even those who can be played only by one in each decks.

Edited by Rouxxor
4 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

All cards come in 3 in adventure packs. Even those who can be played only by one in each decks.

This.

People ask about it since the beginning. For every LCG. It not going to happens.

Sad, but true.

Consider printing your own cards and play with sleeves if you don't want to buy multiple core set. That is what I done before buying them.

Same here! Rouxxor, we seem to be on the same train of thought! :lol:

7 hours ago, icabod said:

I do find it amusing that when reading about deck building, the number of core sets isn't assumed to be one. I find it odd to consider buying multiple boxes.

Well, 2 core sets opens up 3-4 player options, if you want all the players to have official components. In addition, many players play on OCTGN, an online platform, which allows you to use as many core sets as you want to create your decks. I've seen paired decks there with 3 copies of Unexpected Courage in each deck, which would otherwise require purchasing 6 core sets, which would be overkill for just about everyone. Personally, I only own 2. The first is my own, and the second came from purchasing a friend's collection. I find it nice because I can supply all the cards for my family and friends when we want to play a 4-player game.

Edited by Onidsen
On 5/31/2018 at 5:34 PM, Rouxxor said:

People ask about it since the beginning. For every LCG. It not going to happens

quite a disregarding attitude from the developers, IMO. their "reasoning" for not including 3 copies of every card was to keep the price at $40, so this would be a simple and obvious alternative. i suppose printing my own copies will be the way to go; although i'd much rather drop $15 bucks and just get them from the store (it might even be cheaper than all that printer ink...)

I think the second core makes a lot of sense. You’ll have a complete play set minus 4 cards?

you’ll have 4 dials and good number of tokens, you do run out with just one core.

and you can build and keep encounter decks together without having to change em up all the tim.(of all the core sets of encounter sets)

i too was surprised my first LCG when I learned you’ll need 2 copies. You only need 1 copy of everything else

18 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

you’ll have 4 dials and good number of tokens, you do run out with just one core

the most i play are 2-player games, so a third or fourth threat dial would never be used (unless the ones i have get too degraded; which is unlikely to happen with how i take care of them)

the extra tokens would also be pointless, since i use dies as a more convenient option

anyway, if they're so heavily against making a pack for player cards, i'll just use proxies and move on. such is life...

Edited by Kyzonu

Proxies are good, colour copier pair of scissors and sleeves and a way you go.

1 hour ago, Kyzonu said:

a third or fourth threat dial would never be used

There are a couple quests where an additional threat tracker is required (Flight to the Ford, Assault on Dol Guldur), but you could just use paper, d20s, etc.

I believe that the new "Starter" set includes several of the "1x" cards from the core set, like Horn of Gondor (shown on the page) and Unexpected Courage (mentioned in a FB post). It would be nice if the Starter set acted as a complete "supplement" to the Core Set.

A great option here (although more expensive than second core). I am looking forward to my copy :). Checkout from FFI and Caleb Grace:

Six more days, six more days!