New Frontiers (Edge of the Frontier 2.0)

By TCArknight, in Your Settings

Howdy y'all!

As a fan of the old west settings (and needing so step back from a couple of other things), I found Edge of the Frontier setting converted by Jonathan Green from Edge of the Empire/AoR/FaD a while back. I contacted Jon with the thought that I convert his fantastic work to use the Genesys core rules. As that was something on his mind to do, but not having time to do it, he graciously agreed to let me do the heavy lifting on just that.

I still have some work to do on talents, adversaries and rules for shootouts, but i present to you (courtesy of GM Binder, so Chrome is your friend for this... ). (See most recent post for latest update)

Please, please look it over and let me know thoughts, feelings, suggestions for improvement, criticisms and whatever else might come to mind ?

TC

PS: Oh, and yes, it is in the back of my mind to expand on this to include the use of magic and the supernatural for those who want to take it there... <insert cackling laugh here>

Edited by TCArknight

Sweet! I ran my gaming group through the Deadlands module Coffin Rock using the original Edge of the Frontier adaptation last summer and it was a ton of fun. This system is perfect for Wild West / Weird West settings, what with all the social skills and all. Love to see it getting some love now that Genesys is out. Keep up the good work!

This is looking very promising, since I am toying with a western setting myself. Only had time to skim through it (and I can't properly read the items section, but that's probably my browser's fault), but here are my 2 cents regarding your talents:

I don't know if you had planned to make your talent list exclusive or if the ones from the Core Book can be acquired, but some are redundant ("Guts" is just a rename). You also have a lot of talents that remove setback, of which some have their place because of their specifics, but I think "Knack for It" is a more elegant choice.

Also, I think the designers moved away from talents that simply give you boost dice on skills (like your "Sneaky" talent) to prevent dice bloat, and because you could just put ranks in the respective skill to achieve a similar effect (in Star Wars it made sense to have these talents since you were restricted to your talent tree, but if the talent is available to everyone, why bother when you can take the skill instead).

Lastly, there's a talent referencing the Buckshot item quality, but I can't find that anywhere. I guess this is for the future.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how this develops.

Edited by Klort
On 5/31/2018 at 2:42 AM, Klort said:

This is looking very promising, since I am toying with a western setting myself. Only had time to skim through it (and I can't properly read the items section, but that's probably my browser's fault), but here are my 2 cents regarding your talents:

I don't know if you had planned to make your talent list exclusive or if the ones from the Core Book can be acquired, but some are redundant ("Guts" is just a rename). You also have a lot of talents that remove setback, of which some have their place because of their specifics, but I think "Knack for It" is a more elegant choice.

Also, I think the designers moved away from talents that simply give you boost dice on skills (like your "Sneaky" talent) to prevent dice bloat, and because you could just put ranks in the respective skill to achieve a similar effect (in Star Wars it made sense to have these talents since you were restricted to your talent tree, but if the talent is available to everyone, why bother when you can take the skill instead).

Lastly, there's a talent referencing the Buckshot item quality, but I can't find that anywhere. I guess this is for the future.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how this develops.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

i haven’t decided on the Exclusivity of the Talents yet. Since the original Edge of the Frontier was based on EotE with careers and specs, I’m going through and making the Spec Abilities into Talents first, then will probably trim them down.

Regarding the Buckshot quality, thanks. :) I missed modifying that when I went with the way the GCRB handles shotguns.

hopefully, should have some more revisions, etc up soon. :)

Edited by TCArknight

Howdy!

I've done some updating and thought it about time to put it out there. :)

I've given Adversaries stats, given stats to creatures and wagons, and a few other visual updates. I would love to hear the thoughts of whoever is looking at this as to the Talents and Showdown rules. I still need to weed through the talents and set tiers, etc. Nearly all of the talents are from the original Edge of the Frontier , so there is definitely room for improvement.

You can find the most recent version here: Most Recent Version: New Frontiers (Edge of the Frontier 2.0) - Beta (version 0.6)

I really look forward to any and all feedback. :)

TC

Thank you so much for this work. I'm working on a Victorian weirdness game and the work you did here will be very helpful!

Some visual, and slight content updates.

I would definitely like to get some feedback on what Talents need to be trimmed/updated. I would also like to get some ideas on how to handle the Showdown rules.

Most Recent Version: New Frontiers (Edge of the Frontier 2.0) - Beta version 0.7

Another slight update to the most recent version.

I’ve included a table of Talents for the setting pulled from the CRB and RoT. Next I’ll be going through and trimming down the new Talents.

I just want to mention that I really appreciate that within the first few pages you call out the issues of prejudice in settings like the Wild West.

And the iron plate in the armor section is nice nod to Fistfull of Dollars ( or Back to the Future 3 😉 )

Edited by _PNW_
45 minutes ago, _PNW_ said:

I just want to mention that I really appreciate that within the first few pages you call out the issues of prejudice in settings like the Wild West.

And the iron plate in the armor section is nice nod to Fistfull of Dollars ( or Back to the Future 3 😉 )

I really can’t take credit.

Both of those items were present in the original Edge of the Frontier by Jon Green. :) Mr. Green gave me a heck of a basis to work from, and it looks like there was a lot of research he put in. I’m just honored he is allowing me to expand on his work.