Between Quests

By Daddio1, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello. New to Descent here. I am a long time warhammer fantasy roleplay / hero quest fan and have played through the first 4 quests of the core Descent game and am curious if characters are allowed to keep their treasure and gear between quests or are they supposed to start over? Have been used to developeing characters in the past but it appears that they may be too strong if developed in the core set. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thnx.

Daddio1 said:

Hello. New to Descent here. I am a long time warhammer fantasy roleplay / hero quest fan and have played through the first 4 quests of the core Descent game and am curious if characters are allowed to keep their treasure and gear between quests or are they supposed to start over? Have been used to developeing characters in the past but it appears that they may be too strong if developed in the core set. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thnx.

Absolutely do not keep stuff.
Each quest is designed to be played completely independently. Each quest is designed for the heroes to start with shop gear and gradually improve as they go through the dungeon, largely by finding better treasures in the dungeon. The OL powers up through the quest by overall increasing the resources he has had available (drawing more threat and cards each turn and playing Power cards) and because usually the monsters get slightly bigger and tougher towards the end (eg you are unlikely to find a dragon or giant in the first room, or even in the second room). The Bosses are also usually substantially tougher - it is often difficult, if not impossible, to deal with the bosses without silver or gold weapons, but silver or gold weapons at teh beginning make things trivially easy.

Strictly speaking it is only an alternative if the OL agrees to even allow the same heroes on consecutive quests. The actual rule is shuffle and draw a new hero party at the start of each quest. See 2A choose heroes on pg6.

There are some very basic campaign rules in teh quest guide but they are a poor addition clearly grafted on late.

For a real campaign with continuing heroes that keep their gear and start weak (only 1 skill) and can improve their skills, dice and stats through the campaign, as well as finding and keeping a great variety of treasures, you need to buy the Advanced Campaign expansion(s) (Road to Legend or Sea of Blood). Be advised though, these are hard for the heroes until you really learn how to play the campaign, not just how to play Descent. And they are a big commitment of time - 60-100 hrs easily, although they can be broken down into smaller blocks of playing time than 'vanilla' Descent.

Daddio1 said:

Nope. By default everything resets. It's not even recommended you use the same heroes every time. There are some basic rules about developing heroes in the quest guide, but I think most players will say if you want a more campaign style game get RtL or SoB.

Edit: **** you Corbon and your fast fingers. ^_^

Great! Thanks for the clarification. I see where I missed that now. Thanks again for your reply.