Fountain of wisdom

By talismanquestions, in Talisman Rules Questions

Looking through the site, people say that for a card such as Fountain Of Wisdom that the player who draws that card on the same turn can also take from it that same turn as opposed to needing to leave and then come back to it, since it says "once per visit." Is an encounter the same as a visit? Where does the book mention a visit?

However, no one actually cites any rule book section or ruling by the parent company to confirm this, so everyone could be wrong. So, if for instance you are also visited by the Witch, do you also encounter them as soon as you draw them, or would you have to leave the space, then on another turn, come back to it? Where in the rule book can this issue finally be laid to rest?

Edited by talismanquestions

The book doesn't define the term "visit".

From what I read online people assume it means the same thing as encounter but refers only to Places and Strangers.

Yes, everyone could be wrong, but we had to make a choice yes? Otherwise you could't play the game over a stupid detail.

48 minutes ago, Bludgeon said:

The book doesn't define the term "visit".

From what I read online people assume it means the same thing as encounter but refers only to Places and Strangers.

Yes, everyone could be wrong, but we had to make a choice yes? Otherwise you could't play the game over a stupid detail.

"We" didn't have to do anything, it doesn't seem as though anyone has asked Fantasy Flight Games or Games Workshop themselves even though they're just a google away, and I don't see anyone who says you can't temporarily assume a rule based on your best judgement until you find the answer so I don't see why you're complaining about "stupid details" that actual comprise the fabric of the game.

The problem is that it's just one random person's opinion. One person simply said yes, so the next person said yes, then the person who read that yes then went on to also say yes without considering the consequences when doing so could have made the game tremendously unbalanced. I've already noticed that the majority of people I play with all, on their own accord, consider the same characters to be disadvantaged compared to others, and that's largely due to rulings, such as these, where people complain about balance and utility.

Edited by talismanquestions

I believe this is included in the FAQ...