Resistance (Insanity)

By Saldre, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hey!

So one of my players just picked up this nifty little talent. And I am not too sure what rolls to apply it too...

Would it apply to story-line fear checks that involve gaining insanity? Would it apply to the Trauma Check or the Shock table check after failing a fear test? Or would it actually apply to the fear test, and if passed within the margin negate any gain of insanity?

Or perhaps it applies to the actual mental diseases the player's character gain, allowing him to shrug off their negative effects?

Either way, I am not too sure! It strikes me as a weird talent, as there's no particular "Insanity" Check that I can think of off hand!

Thanks for the help!

-Saldre

Well, all resistance skills give you +20 to roll for that type of resist. So I'm sure it would give you a +20 if you're rolling on the trauma chart for sure. Or if it were a non-fear WP test to resist gaining insanity points it would work there too. But for fear tests... I'm not sure. I mean, fear is one of the most likely ways you'd gain insanity, but that's Resistance (Fear) there. There would have to be some sort of cookie that they get if the failed a fear and pulled in some insanity, but what I'm not sure.

Filadan said:

Well, all resistance skills give you +20 to roll for that type of resist. So I'm sure it would give you a +20 if you're rolling on the trauma chart for sure. Or if it were a non-fear WP test to resist gaining insanity points it would work there too. But for fear tests... I'm not sure. I mean, fear is one of the most likely ways you'd gain insanity, but that's Resistance (Fear) there. There would have to be some sort of cookie that they get if the failed a fear and pulled in some insanity, but what I'm not sure.

Sorry, but real quick, the Resistance talents are +10 for the roll, not +20. As for uses; I can see Resistance (Insanity) being handy for resisting some adverse effects of torture and other situations which can cause mental trauma; avoiding gaining insanity if you or a psyker are in a telepathic bond with one party being a complete mental case; or resisting an episode of your own mental maladies. Otherwise, never actually gave it much thought.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Ah, thank you. That's what I get for not double checking the book.

Out of curiosity, what career/alternate rank grants this talent? I thought I'd read the books pretty comprehensively, but this one is new to me.

As for the effects, I would either apply it to out of combat shock tests, or to the shock and trauma tables, or both. Your call.

The Boy Named Crow said:

Out of curiosity, what career/alternate rank grants this talent? I thought I'd read the books pretty comprehensively, but this one is new to me.

As for the effects, I would either apply it to out of combat shock tests, or to the shock and trauma tables, or both. Your call.

Arbitrators and Clerics at rank 6.

Ahh, thank you VERY much for your help in this issue!

Brother Praetus said:

Sorry, but real quick, the Resistance talents are +10 for the roll, not +20. As for uses; I can see Resistance (Insanity) being handy for resisting some adverse effects of torture and other situations which can cause mental trauma; avoiding gaining insanity if you or a psyker are in a telepathic bond with one party being a complete mental case; or resisting an episode of your own mental maladies. Otherwise, never actually gave it much thought.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Sounds like an extremely narrow talent given your description really. Not that it's wrong, it's just that I would personally never bother to take such a talent.

Nihilius said:

Brother Praetus said:

-=Brother Praetus=-

Sounds like an extremely narrow talent given your description really. Not that it's wrong, it's just that I would personally never bother to take such a talent.

Well, given that all the resistance talents are actually somewhat limited in application to begin with, and this one is left wide open to GM interpretation as to how it is applied. The whole family of Resistance talents are of a fairly limited scope when you look at them in the grand scheme of the game. As to my description, it fits right into the "+10 bonus when making a test to resist or avoid the object of your resistance." I just mentioned some specifics as to where and when it might apply; which is hardly a comprehensive list of possible uses.

-=Brother Praetus=-

@Nihilus

I know a few telepaths who would be drooling over that one... of course, since they don't have it, they're drooling a bit anyway. lengua.gif

@Brother P: yes that's quite true, re: resistance talents being rather limited in scope (Resistance(fear) might be the exception in malleus-heavy campaigns).

@Cifer: yes I imagine the psykers would be delighted to have access to this talent. Too bad, drool onwards suckers demonio.gif