Is x-Wing 2.0 now an incomplete game?

By iamzoner, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

Don't get me wrong. I have a LOT of hope for X-Wing 2.0 as far as fixing all of the main issues that currently plague X-Wing 1.0. The design approach at this point seems to have been approached as a way to move forward with the flexibility of tailoring and changing things such as point values of pilots, upgrade bars, etc.

The only ONE point of concern that I have now as a player who spends money on future X-Wing 2.0 expansions is as follows.

The day that FFG ceases to provide support for the X-Wing 2.0 game VIA their new app is the day that everyone who has invested money into their models effectively LOSES their entire investment since point values will no longer be printed on the cards themselves. This means that the game no longer works on it's own outside of the new APP meaning that we are now entirely reliant on FFG's direct support.

An example of this was in the video game of Age of Empires, where players were entirely reliant upon the developers hosting servers in order for players to play with each other online. The day that Microsoft announced that it was abandoning support for AOE servers, left everyone who owned copies of Age of Empires with no way to play with one another without alternate means of online support.

As an X-Wing lover and as an excited individual looking forward to the new 2.0 system, I do have a concern about investing thousands of dollars into a new future of X-Wing and then one day several years from now, being left with an entirely useless collection of cards that wont work independently from FFG's direct app support. If FFG decides at some point in the future to stop support for X-Wing, will a new conversion set be created to give players the option of at least having point values printed on the cards again so that they can continue game play without the support of an app??? This would at least solve my immediate concern about the LONG TERM future of my upcoming X-Wing investment.

X-Wing Second Edition is not so wholly dependent on the App.

FFG has stated there will be downloadable PDFs for offline viewing of point lists. The day X-Wing is end-of-lifed, I’m sure the latest PDF will be downloadable from many unofficial sources.

It won’t be any different than any other game being discontinued.

Ahh, that seems reasonable then.

Even if there *wasn't* a pdf downloadable of points, it's not like people couldn't record point values themselves if the app was announced to be going offline. ****, odds are that the app itself will work without an internet connection (and only need to connect to the internet to get updates. Though this is speculation until we actually get it and find out for sure), in which case you'd be able to keep using the app on your phone (though not hte website since it'd presumably go offline) to see point values.