Happy Friday - What card would you design?

By Church14, in Runewars Miniatures Game

2 hours ago, Xelto said:

The lumbering undead not having mobility is counter to their theme? Not to mention, worms don't burrow all that fast; there's no reason they should be able to cover the entire battlefield quickly. But more important is the game effects. You're essentially giving these units a starting teleport. With the right setup, that's a free flank attack somewhere on the board, or a significant constraint to your opponent's deployment. Simply being able to redeploy after setup, before units start moving, is enough of an advantage.

If you're absolutely set on having them surface at your choice of location, give them a stun token afterward, and limit the placement area to outside range 1 of your opponent's deployment zone. Both of those fit thematically, and provide a bit of needed  balance.

The new scout upgrade has exactly this but with terrain... And they can do it in a 3x2... Is that problematic? I assume players will adjust and will have to account for hidden scouts coming out of any close by terrain...

http://runewars.wikia.com/wiki/Seasoned_Pathfinder

The theme part isn't that the worms are quickly burrowing to that location. It's an already connected set of tunnels they previously burrowed.

It is, "Hey, what is that big hole over there? Oh crap, a huge worm just popped out of it!?"

Works for me... just a wish item anyway...

Edited by QuickWhit
Added link

Ha! I thought that my first post card, as its a plausible design that might be as overpowered as underpowered, for the most struggling faction, would own the debate. Tons of likes and an equal amount of hate mail. But it's this impossible worm pooping hole that gets all the action! :D

1 hour ago, Xelto said:

Not  to mention, worms don't burrow all that fast; there's no reason they should  b  e able to cover the entire battlefield quickl  y  . 

Have you never seen the graboids from Tremors? They move really fast!

4 hours ago, QuickWhit said:

The new scout upgrade has exactly this but with terrain... And they can do it in a 3x2... Is that problematic? I assume players will adjust and will have to account for hidden scouts coming out of any close by terrain...

While I can see your point, terrain is placed by both people, and frequently ends up being placed in the middle of nowhere. So you're going to have fewer places to spawn from, and when you're placing your terrain, you have to balance its potential utility as actual terrain with being a beneficial location to spawn from.

My wish list. It needs the proper sound effects, though, for full impact (so to speak):

Pekka-2.jpg

Pekka-dial-chart.jpg

Edited by Xelto

Thorn armor, could be for everyone, would suit Latari best. Equipment- 6 points, gain deadly=natural runes, exhaust this card to gain protected=natural runes.

1 hour ago, Xelto said:

My wish list. It needs the proper sound effects, though, for full impact (so to speak):

Pekka-2.jpg

Pekka-dial-chart.jpg

Please don’t. I’m asking nicely.

?

32 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Please don’t. I’m asking nicely.

Er... Can I at least have a hog rider, then? I want to do the charge shout!

48 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Er... Can I at least have a hog rider, then? I want to do the charge shout!

Only if you mimic the high voice they have from the commercials when you activate them. ??

3 hours ago, Xelto said:

While I can see your point, terrain is placed by both people, and frequently ends up being placed in the middle of nowhere. So you're going to have fewer places to spawn from, and when you're placing your terrain, you have to balance its potential utility as actual terrain with being a beneficial location to spawn from.

If you run the new scout upgrade with an aggressive bid you are most likely going to be placing two pieces of terrain. While obviously it's utility will be important to you, your ability to create a flank with it will probably be high on your list of priorities.

Would two burrows be more fair?

What if you only got one burrow token per burrow upgrade? This way you have to run multiples to keep it from being predictable...

Also what cost do you think would be fair for an ability like this?

The scouts one is only 4 points...

Edited by QuickWhit

Why do you think that the Waiqar, neither from start nor from the infantry command expansion, got the ability to blight (more than the Blighted Vexilium Bearer) in melee?

Starting with the Reanimates, I would say that they should not have this ability "naked" due to theme, and they would become a very good unit and a serious tar pit when having it. But that is their game! The BVB does not "bring it", and I would much rather have had the necromancer figure doing it like my suggested card above. He would be snipable, but a REAL threat, which is fair:

Plaguebringer.jpg.f9489b5c2f97485846948d057718a414.jpg

The Lancers' picky blight ability (only at range and at unengaged targets) is weird to me. I agree with @Bhelliom that being able to blight even in melee at initiative 6 hardly feels overpowered as most units has melee attacks at lower initiative, and the Lancer can't attack while blighting. I guess there is a fear that a swarm of Lancers could lock enemies down, but that would be both a gamble in timing and would tie up 2-4 1x1 Lancers (that can't deal damage)! Comparing Lancers with Spined threshers and Scions does not make this weird nerf look justified in my eyes. So I want to see:

Defiler.jpg.99052450581e9e730a99303745d42ad3.jpg

The Pestilence Death Knight is still on the table with the potential of a Cavalry command pack i guess.

As for Ardus, I would be really interested in this (se below), then he could do some choppin' (without needing to spend 6 on Fortunas' dice) but still armor up at initiative 3!:

626352477_AncientFury.jpg.8f09afb0b6f7658ccddd920b281e20e5.jpg

Finally, Ankaur Maro is significantly better as an infantry upgrade than as solo. As solo heroes goes, he is probably the worst. But if we could get his skeleton making up to speed, he could be a valuable support, and MAYBE it would no longer (with this upgrade and Ancient fury above) be an insta-loss to play both Ardus and Ankaur ;)

1654030252_Darkartsmastery.jpg.d4569cbad31b33824948082af11fe6ba.jpg

This should be costed lower than Regenerative magic since that helps Ardus healing but this does not. This is still better, as the RM-Ardus combo is situational because Ardus might be one shotted, and probably spends most rounds before death at full life.

Edited by Maktorius

This would be a fun one for many reasons,

Seige Commander- champion upgrade: This unit gains a siege slot in its upgrade bar. 2/1, 4 pts

and yes, you can run two siege figures in units already able to take one.

It would be fun to equip both kinds of siege units in big units, though probably make brutal not stack, that would get out of hand quickly.

It would also be cool for smaller units that have champion slots to take siege figures.

I want a Rune Golem fix by making the Greyhaven Channeler more appealing. He's six points and can be taken in a 4-tray spearman unit. That's not awful. The problem is that Rune Golems are the only thing in the army that really cares about runes. So give Daqan a broadly useful upgrade that would also reward rune manipulation, and the Rune Golems benefit in tandem. I'm thinking bonus points if it rewards denying runes other things like, too. So maybe an upgrade that gives a benefit to its host unit if it has trays greater than natural runes. This rewards flipping he stable/natural rune to stable, and the unstable/natural rune to unstable with your Greyhaven, both of which benefit the Rune Golem immensely. Actively minimizing natural runes also promotes the Daqan theme of being the faction of civilization, permanence, law, and conflict.

What would the effect be? I dunno, I'm stumped. If we didn't already have Shield Wall, I'd say +1 defense. Maybe a flat protected value of 2 or something. I'd probably want to put it in the equipment slot to make it broadly available.

2 hours ago, kaffis said:

I want a Rune Golem fix by making the Greyhaven Channeler more appealing. He's six points and can be taken in a 4-tray spearman unit. That's not awful. The problem is that Rune Golems are the only thing in the army that really cares about runes. So give Daqan a broadly useful upgrade that would also reward rune manipulation, and the Rune Golems benefit in tandem. I'm thinking bonus points if it rewards denying runes other things like, too. So maybe an upgrade that gives a benefit to its host unit if it has trays greater than natural runes. This rewards flipping he stable/natural rune to stable, and the unstable/natural rune to unstable with your Greyhaven, both of which benefit the Rune Golem immensely. Actively minimizing natural runes also promotes the Daqan theme of being the faction of civilization, permanence, law, and conflict.

What would the effect be? I dunno, I'm stumped. If we didn't already have Shield Wall, I'd say +1 defense. Maybe a flat protected value of 2 or something. I'd probably want to put it in the equipment slot to make it broadly available.

I agree that rune golems could be fixed with some viable synergies. I thought Greyhaven Channeler would work in a Rune Golem army... Tried it a few times and even re-casting the runes failed nearly every time for me. It felt bad.

I think rune manipulation should be more reliable overall. If you could sometimes guarantee the runes you need rune golems could get scary fast.

Greyhaven Channeler:

Skill: Exhaust this card to change a rune to the side of your choice.

This has the interesting aspect of changing the runes mid round. It also allows Rune Golems to practically guarantee threat 3 when they need it and charge at 4 with more frequency.

Optional clause: Discard this figure upgrade to flip an additional rune this round.

I love the idea of the old wizard channeling so hard he dies.

Greyhaven Channeler could have benefited from having two abilities like many Uthuk Y'llan upgrades.

Skill: Exhaust this card to change one rune token to the side of your chose.

Skill: Recast one rune token. (You may use this ability even if this card is exhausted.)

7 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Greyhaven Channeler could have benefited from having two abilities like many Uthuk Y'llan upgrades.

Skill: Exhaust this card to change one rune token to the side of your chose.

Skill: Recast one rune token. (You may use this ability even if this card is exhausted.)

What point value would you assign to this? Because it's straight up better than Malcorne's Bequest, which plenty of people take despite it taking up an Artifact slot on a hero. Malcorne's unexhausting option is limited on the runes it can recast, and still requires recasting. Yet it still sees common use.

Which tells me that the randomness isn't the issue, it's the lack of impact across the whole army for Daqan. In theory, you could take it to hate cast against other lists, but that doesn't seem to be appealing enough.

7 minutes ago, kaffis said:

What point value would you assign to this? Because it's straight up better than Malcorne's Bequest, which plenty of people take despite it taking up an Artifact slot on a hero. Malcorne's unexhausting option is limited on the runes it can recast, and still requires recasting. Yet it still sees common use.

Which tells me that the randomness isn't the issue, it's the lack of impact across the whole army for Daqan. In theory, you could take it to hate cast against other lists, but that doesn't seem to be appealing enough.

Yeah this format is definitely better than Malcorne's Bequest, but that doesn't mean it has to cost more. Malcorne's Bequest can be equipped on two very useful/powerful heroes. While it comes with an opportunity cost of passing on another potentially useful artifact, it will probably always be available for an additional 6 points.

Greyhaven Channeler on the other hand requires you to build a 2x2 of spearmen (30 pts) or 3x2 of crossbowmen (45 pts). While these units are not useless to be sure, they do not provide the same cost/value ratio that Meagan or Aliana provide. They also have an opportunity cost as Daqan have some pretty good champion upgrades. It can also be sniped much more easily than a hero can be killed. It also comes with an opportunity cost as far as using the skill on the second dial instead of another option (charge, damage, surge, turn).

That said I would like to see the abilities differentiated a bit more. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of just choosing one rune to flip to the side of your choice and having the option to sacrifice your Greyhaven Channeler to get two runes in a crucial round. It would make both good game play and good fluff.

Ardus on a horse With both low initiative moves and ini 8 or 9 moves so that you can plan a good move for different situations instead of moving early (but not early enough against cavalry) and not hitting jack because your move was too short too early and then you get counter-charged by everyone and their mother.

Edited by Polda