A few questions

By NytCrie, in Runebound

I got Runebound 2E for my birthday last week, and so far I am very impressed. I played my first game with two other people, the second game with one person (who was also a player int he first game), and last night I played a third with 5 people (one of which has played each game with me so far). The time isn't that horrible, but I do think we will do something to speed it up a bit if we have a lot of players as the 6 player game ran almost 6 hours, whereas the two player game went 3.

My first question would be which variant is more recommended to speed up play: Doom Track or Lower Exp to level by 1? We have yet to play with the Doom Track, but the two player game we used the less Exp and it went rather well.

My next few questions came up as a result of play and weren't exactly clarified in the FAQ/Errata.

1. Does the movement given by "Wings of Regiroth" only allow you to move in a straight line, or can you go four spaces however you choose?
  2. The FAQ states that heroes and allies with "pump" abilities, such as the one Battlemage Jaes has, can be used mulitple times in a single phase or round. However, can you exceed your Stamina and therefore take wounds in order to pump it further? For example, if Jaes is already at 4 Fatigue, can he take 2 more - which would convert to wounds - in order to use his ability? If he was at 0 Fatigue, would he be able to take 6 Fatigue - 2 of which would convert to wounds - in order to add 3 wounds to the damage from his attack? Simply put, are you able to take more fatigue than you have Stamina in order to use an ability?
  3. If an Encounter requires you to make an attack, such as "Ransacking the Ashes," are you allowed to use an Ally for this attack? ( I say no, my friend says yes).
  4. Similar to the previous question: if a Challenge or Encounter requires you to make any form of test, can you use an Ally to do so or only when specifically stated that the Ally makes the test? (I say only when specifically directed)
  5. If you discharge (discard) an Ally while in the Market Step while in a town in order to hire anew Ally, does the discharged Ally remain in the town's market stack?
  6. When the event that destroys Tamalir - "Paying the Price of Defiance" - comes up and is resolved, any hero in Tamalir takes 3 wounds and is moved to Forge. Do any allies that are with the hero take damage as well? Are the items in the Tamalir Market Stack simply left there, or are they discarded to the bottom of the Market Deck?

Thanks

-Nyt

I can't seem to find an edit button so...

One more question:

In PvP combat, does the target of a Before Combat attack roll for defense score just as with normal attack phases or is his base attributr used as the target number for this attack?

Thanks again,

-nyt

NytCrie said:

I can't seem to find an edit button so...

jadrax said:

Editing is currently available for only 5min after posting, and can be found in the bar that runs along the top of your post.

Good to know for future reference :)

My first question would be which variant is more recommended to speed up play: Doom Track or Lower Exp to level by 1? We have yet to play with the Doom Track, but the two player game we used the less Exp and it went rather well.

In my experience the Doom Track is a horrible thing and it's too messed up and gives you too little time no matter what you do. However there is a different variationg of the doom track that comes with one of the expansions. Which lets you roll dice each time you want to move the doom track. This variant works ALOT better and you should check that one out. Can be found in the rules.

My next few questions came up as a result of play and weren't exactly clarified in the FAQ/Errata.

** Does the movement given by "Wings of Regiroth" only allow you to move in a straight line, or can you go four spaces however you choose?

If we look at it, it gives the impression you only move in a straight line, but if we take it into use, I dont see why you would not be able to move in any direction/s you want. The item is expensive, and it would really be too messed up if you could only move in straight lines.

** The FAQ states that heroes and allies with "pump" abilities, such as the one Battlemage Jaes has, can be used mulitple times in a single phase or round. However, can you exceed your Stamina and therefore take wounds in order to pump it further? For example, if Jaes is already at 4 Fatigue, can he take 2 more - which would convert to wounds - in order to use his ability? If he was at 0 Fatigue, would he be able to take 6 Fatigue - 2 of which would convert to wounds - in order to add 3 wounds to the damage from his attack? Simply put, are you able to take more fatigue than you have Stamina in order to use an ability?

No you cannot. This is stated in the FAQ and even in the original rules (I believe). FAQ says, if you cannot pay for the ability you cannot use it. If it says you must spend EXHAUSTION and you cannot, you cannot use the ability. And if you have any item that cancels you taking exhaustion you can STILL not use the ability since you MUST pay it's cost.

** If an Encounter requires you to make an attack, such as "Ransacking the Ashes," are you allowed to use an Ally for this attack? ( I say no, my friend says yes).

Of course you can't use allies. The card states that YOU make an attack, meaning YOU the player (the hero ). The game always makes sure you know if you can use allies for stuff or not.

** Similar to the previous question: if a Challenge or Encounter requires you to make any form of test, can you use an Ally to do so or only when specifically stated that the Ally makes the test? (I say only when specifically directed)

Allies can only participate in such tests if it specifically tells you so, remember that. There are so many cards I have that tells you that you can use the ally for tests so it is 100%

** If you discharge (discard) an Ally while in the Market Step while in a town in order to hire anew Ally, does the discharged Ally remain in the town's market stack?

No. In the rulebook it says that any discarded card is put at the bottom of the market stack. Allies cannot be sold either. You must discard them or make sure they die if you no longer wish to have them with you.

** When the event that destroys Tamalir - "Paying the Price of Defiance" - comes up and is resolved, any hero in Tamalir takes 3 wounds and is moved to Forge. Do any allies that are with the hero take damage as well? Are the items in the Tamalir Market Stack simply left there, or are they discarded to the bottom of the Market Deck?

The items are left in the market. And can only be retrieved/bought with special abliities or cards that lets you buy cards from any market stack. Allies do not take any damage because it is clearly put that only heroes suffers the wounds (since the text lacks the initial add: and all allies)

** In PvP combat, does the target of a Before Combat attack roll for defense score just as with normal attack phases or is his base attributr used as the target number for this attack?

The defender is to be treated as a "challenge". If you attack a player and use a before combat attack that uses Magic, the defending player rolls the dice. Lets say he got 10, then he adds his current Magic value to the roll. Let's say that value is 5, which puts the target value for the attacking player up to 15. Since Before Combat is no phase, many cards are useless for the purpose of "defence". If a shield states: Any Phase: Your hero recieves +4 to all his combat rolls" it is not used to calculate the target value in before combat since it's not a phase.

Thanks

-Nyt

Thanks for the clarifications. A few of those were what I expected, but I had to be sure.

-Nyt