Untouchable and Gate of Infinity

By manieq, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Hi, I'm wondering what means " Can never gain nor benefit from the positive effects of Psychic Powers or any other related unnatural talents,traits, or abilities that call on the Warp for power." in Untouchable advance.

Friends whos playing with me, says that im immune for all Psychic and Warp spells and talent (that what lore telling about Blanks), what are you thinking about that? Untouchables are immune for all Psychic spells, or maybe just for that which giving benefits for him (Warp perception, etc.)?
What about crossing Gate of Infinity, he can or not?

Untouchables are completely immune to all Psychic powers, cannot be detected via psychic powers or Psyniscience, are invisible to Daemons that have not manifested via flesh, and cannot gain any benefits even if the wanted to. While it is possible to overwhelm or burn out an Untouchable, the amount of raw power required is well beyond the scope of anything in these games: in the fluff, one medium grade Untouchable is disabled and knocked into a coma after attempting to directly overpower the MIU link in an active Chaos Warlord Titan; and another is burned out over a period of months through the efforts of an insanely powerful Daemon Prince who had possessed someone in close proximity.

For the practical purposes of the game; there is really nothing you could expect to face and survive, even in Ascension, that could nullify an Untouchable's abilities. As for stepping through a Warp Gate-that can happen, provided it was not a direct application of power like a teleport ability targeting the Untouchable. IE, a teleport pack, Shipboard teleporter, or standing Warp Gate could be used, but not a Psyker targeting them specifically. Their Untouchable traits would also provide a degree a resistance to the effects of transit as well; in the fluff, an Untouchable passing through an unshielded gate recovers in a day, while a strong willed non-Psyker/Untouchable is bedridden for a week and a mess for a while afterwards.

So when my teammate using Gate for running away from dangerous situation, i can pass that gate?

" Another example can be found int he Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Pariah novels, all really good by the way. Ravenor has an untouchable (Frauka) as part of his retinue. The notable thing about Frauka is that he wears an "inhibitor" which allows him to "turn off" the null field at any time. It's a simple, elegant solution to getting a psyker to play nice with untouchables when needed. Can he go through the Eternity Gate? Sure, why not? Just give him an inhibitor. "

Its a quote from other forum, you know something more about that guy (more than wiki) and that "inhibitor"?

And what is that unshielded/shielded gate?

Untouchables used by the Inquisition can be fitted with a limiter, allowing the Untouchable to switch on or off their ability's range-when inactive, their abilities are projecting out to the normal range. When active, the limiter renders their power inactive, allowing Psykers to use psychic powers in close proximity with no problems; however, the Untouchable themself retains all their abilities at a personal distance, and cannot be affected even with a limiter active. Based on the specific power, an Untouchable would need to have their limiter active to pass through such a gate, since it is not permanent-if they got close as is, it would wink out due to their proximity.

The Gate I mentioned above was a peculiar, permanent Necron Portal; since it was configured only for them, when the two characters passed through they were exposed to the warp unshielded. The Untouchable was only mildly bothered, while the other non-Untouchable/non-Psyker character was a mess. That was in a Ciaphas Cain novel.

So if i will have limiter or "inhibitor" turned on, i will can pass Gate of Infinity casted by my teammate? You have any proofs for that, like quotes from book for example?
I have restricted friends, and even description about Frauka in wiki isnt enought for them
"Is just turning off his powers, no proofs for that he can pass gates or have any benefits from Warp" they saying

Mechanically, the inhibitor has not been statted out in any of FFG's game lines, nor will it be with the loss of license. You need to speak with your Gamemaster about it-they would need to approve and stat out a piece of equipment. In terms of the game-passing through a portal is not gaining the benefit of a power, merely using something that exists, functionally no different that passing through the Warp in a ship surrounded by a Gellar field, and almost exactly like using a teleporter-and there are no restrictions on doing so for Untouchables, whether it be shipboard arrays or one of the personal teleporters available as equipment. If there was a problem, it would have been called out explicitly.

As for a specific example-in Caves of Ice, an Untouchable passes through an active Warp Gate on a planet with his abilities uninhibited, and winds up on a ship in orbit-so it can definitely happen; remember, this power only differs from teleportation technology via being a psychic power, and travel alone is no problem fro the Untouchable; only the method being an active psychic power they would normally suppress.

The real problem is practical-unless you have an inhibitor, the portal will be suppressed and wink out when you get close, and you can only get an inhibitor through Gamemaster fiat: if they are unwilling to oblige, it becomes a moot point.

Edited by ViperMagnum357

That Warp Gate was made by psyker or it was a constant gate? Built by someon not created by psyhic powers?

The Warp Gate see in Echoes of the Tomb is a permanent Necron Construct, built purely through technology-the Necrons have never had Psykers, even when they were flesh. For this specific question-you need to speak with your gamemaster about a custom item, since mechanically you would not be able to use such a gate otherwise, once you have bought the appropriate advances.

So there is no proof for Utouchable passing Gate of Infinity created by psyker? Only pernament portals like that Necrons construction? So sad for me :<