Timing trigger for multiple abilities

By TeethAlmighty, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Had this come up during play today with Jyn. After my attack on her resolved, she played:

Peacemaker
1S : Exhaust this card after a hostile figure resolves an attack targeting you. Interrupt to perform an attack targeting that figure.

...followed by:

Quick as a Whip
After an attack targeting you is resolved, you may move 1 space.

...followed by:

Opportunist

After you resolve an attack, if the target suffered 1 or more damage, move one space

Now, my understanding is that the trigger needs to be present immediately preceding each of these abilities. If Jyn uses peacemaker, the trigger "after a hostile figure resolves an attack" has been missed for "quick as a whip." Likewise if she chose to use QAAW first, the trigger for peacemaker would be missed. Opportunist would apply after peacemaker but NOT after QAAW.

The player argued that the first two abilities happen simultaneously, and thus, can be both be applied, in the order the rebel chooses (much like both parts of Murne's "waylay" can be activated after "false orders" resolves).

Can someone clarify? The most relevant parts of the RRG I can find are these:

RRG page 2:
Timing
Numerous game effects have the possibility of triggering at the same time. If this occurs, use the following to determine the order in which these effects are resolved:

During an attack, in both a campaign and a skirmish, resolve mission rules first, followed by effects triggered by the attacker, then effects triggered by the defender.

RRG page 2
Abilities
Abilities can have one or more requirements. If the requirements cannot be met, the ability cannot be performed

RRG page 9
Conflicts
The decision for a player to resolve an optional effect coincides with the order of resolution. After a player has declined to trigger one or more abilities, he does not have the opportunity to trigger that ability until the next triggering instance.

Cheers!

Edited by TeethAlmighty

TL;DR: Jyn's player is correct.

Abilities that have the same trigger get activated at the same time and can be resolved in the order of your choice. In effect you return to the same trigger when you resolve one.

Only if you perform an ability with a different trigger, you voluntarily "advance game time" and give up the trigger. (Including during-your-activation abilities like spending movement points or suffering strain for mp, or performing an action.)

So,

1. Opportunist and Sidewinder can be performed in the order of your choice. After performing one you're still in the same trigger and can perform the other.
2. Quick As a Whip and Peacemaker can be performed in the order of your choice. After performing one you are still at the "after an attack targeting you has been resolved" trigger and can perform the other. (This is emphasized by the "interrupt" word in Peacemaker, although having "interrupt" is not required.)

Simultaneous triggers happen all the time, for example in attacks that have condition keywords and/or Blast or Cleave. All of them have timing "after attack resolves". You don't need to choose one. You perform them and all other "after attack resolves / after resolving an attack" abilities in the timing conflict resolution order.

Ability Resolution Order During Attacks

Edited by a1bert
2 hours ago, a1bert said:

TL;DR:

Lol, fair enough. Just trying to be thorough! ?

Jyn's player is correct.

Abilities that have the same trigger get activated at the same time and can be resolved in the order of your choice. In effect you return to the same trigger when you resolve one.

Only if you perform an ability with a different trigger, you voluntarily "advance game time" and give up the trigger. (Including during-your-activation abilities like spending movement points or suffering strain for mp, or performing an action.)

I think this is what was confusing me. For example, when Gideon uses "mobile tactician" after "command", he gains MP and can trigger "masterstroke." (Just like Jyn gains a move *and* an attack). However, if Gideon spends those MP immediately, he has advanced the game and loses the masterstroke trigger, whereas Jyn's move maintains the trigger...

Have I got that right? . Ah yes, exactly what you said. Your help with this game, as always A1bert, is unparalleled.

(I may need to hire a lawyer before this experience is through! )

Edited by TeethAlmighty
Learned to read properly
1 hour ago, TeethAlmighty said:

Lol, fair enough. Just trying to be thorough! ?

I think this is what was confusing me. For example, when Gideon uses "mobile tactician" after "command", he gains MP and can trigger "masterstroke." (Just like Jyn gains a move *and* an attack). However, if Gideon spends those MP immediately, he has advanced the game and loses the masterstroke trigger, whereas Jyn's move maintains the trigger...

Have I got that right? . Ah yes, exactly what you said. Your help with this game, as always A1bert, is unparalleled.

(I may need to hire a lawyer before this experience is through! )

That's because the movement points from Mobile Tactician cannot be spent immediately, Gideon must wait until he has finished resolving the Command action and all abilities that trigger off it to actually spend the movement points. So Gideon cannot spend any movement points in between Command and Masterstroke, even ones he gained from an earlier move action.

When movement points are gained during an activation, they are put into a bank that the figure can draw from to move an equal amount of spaces during that activation. It's only when movement points are gained outside of a figure's activation that they must be spent immediately.

9 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

That's because the movement points from Mobile Tactician cannot be spent immediately, Gideon must wait until he has finished resolving the Command action and all abilities that trigger off it to actually spend the movement points. So Gideon cannot spend any movement points in between Command and Masterstroke, even ones he gained from an earlier move action.

But he is not forced to use masterstroke immediately, right? He could, technically, use those 2 MP after command (at a cost of losing the trigger for Masterstroke)?

Edited by TeethAlmighty

Abilities that have costs (including but not limited to exhaust, deplete, discard, suffer strain or damage), may , or use are optional. So, instead of exhausting Masterstroke after resolving Command Gideon can choose to not exhaust it and do something else instead.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:42 AM, a1bert said:

TL;DR: Jyn's player is correct.

So,

1. Opportunist and Sidewinder can be performed in the order of your choice. After performing one you're still in the same trigger and can perform the other.
2. Quick As a Whip and Peacemaker can be performed in the order of your choice. After performing one you are still at the "after an attack targeting you has been resolved" trigger and can perform the other. (This is emphasized by the "interrupt" word in Peacemaker, although having "interrupt" is not required.)

Simultaneous triggers happen all the time, for example in attacks that have condition keywords and/or Blast or Cleave. All of them have timing "after attack resolves". You don't need to choose one. You perform them and all other "after attack resolves / after resolving an attack" abilities in the timing conflict resolution order.

Ability Resolution Order During Attacks

But opportunist has Jyn's attack as a trigger. If she does peacemaker and then quick as a whip, doesn't the last one skip the trigger of 'after you resolve an attack'? I would think you'd have to do quick as a whip first and then peacemaker and then use its attack as a trigger for opportunist?

1 hour ago, neosmagus said:

But opportunist has Jyn's attack as a trigger. If she does peacemaker and then quick as a whip, doesn't the last one skip the trigger of 'after you resolve an attack'? I would think you'd have to do quick as a whip first and then peacemaker and then use its attack as a trigger for opportunist?

You can/must use any ability when its trigger happens.

You can use Opportunist after the attack performed during Peacemaker, you are still returning to Peacemaker's trigger after resolving Peacemaker, and thus are able to resolve Quick As a Whip. I.e. both Peacemaker and Quick As a Whip are already triggered, you choose the order to resolve them (then resolve each one by one by paying the associated cost and resolving their text). Performing abilities that further trigger from resolving Peacemaker do not invalidate Quick As a Whip (short of being defeated during your own activation).

(This is still easy, see the discussions about Verena's abilities.)

Edited by a1bert