How many rebel ally packs should I buy ?

By Mumrik, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hey

I have bought everything - and modded some parts - and cut foam for protection for all miniatures - and painted almost all of them - and it has so far taken more than 1 year to make all this (with breaks of cause)....

I am a bit exhausted, but I love this game and the universe.

So heres my question:

Do I need to buy one extra pack of these (so I have 2), for more diversity ? I already have bought two villain packs for non-unique units.

- Rebel Troopers
- Rebel Saboteurs
- Wookie warrios
- Alliance smuggler
- Echo Base troopers
- Alliance Rangers

I like both campaign and skirmish. And I don't play for competitive so much yet, but love to experiment.

(Note, I play campaign only and know next of nothing about skirmish). No, you don't need to buy any of these, extra or not. You should buy only what you want to have. I too have bought everything there is and I'm likely to buy double of a few things just to have both regular & elite versions of most ally groups, but we certainly do not need to do this. There is no benefit, other than satisfying completist compulsions, to buy extra villain/ally packs :) (Personally, I'm also looking at buying another Jabba's Realm box with another group and splitting the content so that I can get an extra group of Gamorreans, Weequays, and Jet Troopers ;) But again, this is not needed ).

At this point in time you should be able to build competitive skirmish lists with one of each expansion.

I think "restricting" yourself to one of each will increase the diversity of your lists instead of the opposite.

As long as you play campaign and casual skirmish one of each is very satisfactory. For campaign you don't need more than one of each ally pack (or villain), and there are only a few imperial non-unique groups that 2 would make sense, and not much even then. (Hired Guns and Jawa Scavenger, and maybe Terro to have the figures for both Terro and the Dewback rider at the same time - but having both at the same time happens rarely.)

Edited by a1bert

I buy two of the non-unique packs to have both elite and non-elite for campaign. For skirmish it depends on what you want to run. Plus that state of the current meta. Casual skirmish play one of each pack would work.

If you were doing competitive skirmish, the only one of those packs that you commonly see multiples of is the Alliance Smuggler. I've seen double rangers lists but they're not common.

Even for non-competitive skirmish I can't see needing multiples of those unless you were going hard for a particular theme (e.g. multiple Sabs for a spies-only list, multiple wookiee warriors for an all-wookiee brigade).

Honestly, though, I don't see a real benefit to you buying multiples of any of them unless you enjoy painting them and want to have one painted elite and one painted regular. If you really want to try a double-rangers list when playing with your friends, you could always just put down some rebel troopers and say "these are rangers today". If you end up having fun with that list then go out and get the second pack at that time.

Thanks for all of your posts !

I think I will hold my money for now and prepare for Tyrants of Lothal instead :ph34r:

23 hours ago, supersayian said:

I buy two of the non-unique packs to have both elite and non-elite for campaign.

I do this strictly for the Imperial ones (Jawas, ISB, and Hired Guns).

As far as I can tell, there's no way to field multiple groups of Rebel non-unique groups in campaign.

I play skirmish only. When I've played Rebels, I've never played Rebel Troopers, I've played multiple Rebel Saboteurs a lot, but that ended over time, I don't play them at all at the moment, Wookie Warriors are good, even in multiples, but Rangers are better, same goes for Echo Base Troopers, I have 3 Alliance Smugglers and play them quite often, I have 2 sets of Alliance Rangers and play them a lot at the moment. A second smuggler is almost always worth it.

My standard Rebel lists contain: Gideon, 3PO, R2 or Chopper, 1 - 3 Smugglers, sometimes Hera, 1 - 2 elite Rangers, and sometimes Han Solo.

Just for skirmish, I would not recommend to buy any Rebel figure that's not on that list. AND I'd rather wait for Lothal and check out the new bling before buying any duplicates ...

Hello! I am hoping for a little bit of help. I am having trouble choosing between Rebel Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers and Alliance Smuggler. I have the core set, twin shadows and hoth expansions with many other ally/villain packs. I also prefer the campaign. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you so much!

Alliance Smuggler doesn't come as a token in the boxes... the others you have as tokens already.

In a Return to Hoth campaign (whether Legends of the Alliance app or the book campaign) the rebels have a good chance of earning them as allies, and then having the figures would be nice.