FO Ties

By E-Man720, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

So why exactly do the First order build their 'new and improved ' ties and not the Imperial erra ones?

For starters the FO Ties are supposed to be shielded, but in the 2 new films, that doesn't seem to count for squat.

Why not build off of the Tie/In, Tie/x1, or the Tie/D?

8 hours ago, E-Man720 said:

So why exactly do the First order build their 'new and improved ' ties and not the Imperial erra ones?

For starters the FO Ties are supposed to be shielded, but in the 2 new films, that doesn't seem to count for squat.

Just Rebel pilots being OP, however they are built off of the TIE/ln. Apparently the new fighter is because they actually value their soldiers, who are not seen as expendable; therefore better defences were required.

TIE/sf are a whole new beast though. Hyperdrive, two seats (one for the secondary gunner on a dual heavy 360 degree turret) and two types of missile munitions.

12 hours ago, E-Man720 said:

Because general audiences don't recognize them as easily. The basic TIE form is more iconic.

Think about marketing first, then retcon whatever reason suits your head-canon.

Probably because they retrofitted the old tie's into this new variant alot easier. How many versions of the B-52 has there been and will there be? Its going to stay in service till 2040, almost 100 years since it was first activated.

Because in Disneyverse everything is much bigger, much stronger, much better than in the OT. But everything can be exploded by a single shot.

2 hours ago, Norell said:

Because in Disneyverse everything is much bigger, much stronger, much better than in the OT. But everything can be exploded by a single shot.

Yeeeaah. Well considereing the FO is spending more resources to effectively (on screen) build the same garbage fighters as the empire. I'm beginning to wonder.

EDIT: Also in terms of marketing, any form of Pod with solar panel wings is iconically star wars by now isn't it?

Edited by E-Man720
4 hours ago, E-Man720 said:

EDIT: Also in terms of marketing, any form of Pod with solar panel wings is iconically star wars by now isn't it?

Exactly, therefore anyone who makes this statement (regarding marketing) as a way to discredit anything new is kinda guilty of over-simplification. Just look at the TIE Silencer (built off the TIE/In) and tell me what you think sells more.

(See for example, the whole Porg thing- there was a legitimate reason for that, i.e the island was filled with Puffins which would have proved difficult to remove via CGI but easier to alter).

I'm pretty sure you can put anything in Star Wars, and it becomes iconic (In a good or bad way) and consquently sells. Rather than marketing be the primary concern, I think it is just the opposite. IMO, Disney are a lot more concerned with creating something new, and consequently viewer engagement; critique. After all, juggling OT fans with prequel fans, with new (young) audiences is, seemingly, quite difficult.

7 hours ago, Norell said:

But everything can be exploded by a single shot.

Sounds familiar ;)

The monomyth requires strong(er) opponents to be overcome. They couldn't be weaker, or even the same as the Empire or else we already know they can be beaten.

Shielding didn't always seem to help old Incom T-65 X-wings or Koensayr BTL Y-wings either. :)