New expansion guide for noobs and nubs?

By Cry Ptic Life, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Hey, I got into the game a couple months ago, and looked at the expansions. Not sure what to think of it, could someone smarter then me explain? How does this effect the meta and is this a priority buy? Thanks in advance

Im not sure what you're asking. This has by far been the funnest game I've played over the past 2+ years. It's a priority buy for me.

The newer expansions have defined the current skirmish meta. Both Jabba's Realm snd Heart of the Empire are full of great pieces for all 3 factions

Sorry for not clarifying. I meant the new expansions, Tyrants of Lothal. My bad... I promise I speak english

26 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Sorry for not clarifying. I meant the new expansions, Tyrants of Lothal. My bad... I promise I speak english

We haven't seen very many of the actual skirmish card for the expansion yet so a lot is still up in the air. When we start getting skirmish previews I'm sure we'll know more.

What @TheUnsullied said. The boards here will go crazy with discussion once they reveal more skirmish information. Just follow along and enjoy the ride!

Unless they turn out to be really crappy, I think the Death Troopers will be a priority buy for Imperial players. Seems like a solid way to add more activations that have a bit more firepower than Officers and more synergy with your other troopers.

5 hours ago, aermet69 said:

Unless they turn out to be really crappy, I think the Death Troopers will be a priority buy for Imperial players. Seems like a solid way to add more activations that have a bit more firepower than Officers and more synergy with your other troopers.

Yeah, I don't think you'll totally get rid of the officer (the movement is super valuable) but having other 3 or 4 pt Imperial figures is going to be awesome and hopefully create more list-types than just 2 JumpJets + emp/vader/whoever.

Maybe imp lists will get to 7 activations, the horror!

I feel like the Death Troopers would be incredibly strong if they remain as single deployment, 3-cost figures in skirmish. I still have a suspicion that their skirmish card might be a deployment group of two models, increasing the cost accordingly and preventing the Empire from jamming a list full of cheap deployments. It also would make more sense in terms of card count... 4 Death Troopers would mean 8 total cards, which is a lot of cardboard. Making the skirmish deployments two-man units would cut down on that. For me, the appeal of the low cost on the Death Troopers is the ability to include them in lower threat level campaign missions -- a more expensive two-character unit would likely only appear towards the end of the campaign.

I dunno. It would be out of character for ffg to start doing things differently. Usually the campaign and skirmish deployment is very similar, so i would be surprised if they suddenly doubled up figures to cards when the campaign is individual. The regular death trooper is pretty good for 3 points even with just +1dm surge. His damage is very consistent as is the range

The defining and differentiating ability of the Death Trooper group is the flexibility to form a "group" with any other Death Trooper or Leader of your choice dynamically (to create a more powerful activation) - or choose not to (to pad activation count). I don't think it would make sense to change that for Skirmish where it is an equally if not more useful feature.

4 hours ago, a1bert said:

The defining and differentiating ability of the Death Trooper group is the flexibility to form a "group" with any other Death Trooper or Leader of your choice dynamically (to create a more powerful activation) - or choose not to (to pad activation count). I don't think it would make sense to change that for Skirmish where it is an equally if not more useful feature.

They could also build in a perk by combining just so Imp players have a viable option other than padding activation count. Something like X equals the number of death troopers in this group blah blah

5 hours ago, a1bert said:

My question is if Jyn uses Hair Trigger and kills the Death Trooper, does another Death Trooper or Leader then get to activate? The way it's written in the preview, I'd think yes, but wasn't sure.

4 minutes ago, Pollux85 said:

My question is if Jyn uses Hair Trigger and kills the Death Trooper, does another Death Trooper or Leader then get to activate? The way it's written in the preview, I'd think yes, but wasn't sure.

(Quick Draw in campaign.) I may be wrong, but I would say no, because the Tactical Comms ability is no longer in play.

Edited by a1bert
7 hours ago, a1bert said:

At least the Elite Death Trooper has no ability, that couldn't be used in skirmish. So I think, there is a good possibility for the Skirmish version to be different.

11 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

At least the Elite Death Trooper has no ability, that couldn't be used in skirmish. So I think, there is a good possibility for the Skirmish version to be different.

Tactical Comms doesn't work in Skirmish. Imagine a mirror match. So, in the least it needs to be worded differently.

Why?

"Limit one Tactical Comms per round."

Would this imply RAW, that your opponent can't use his Tactical Comms when you already used your Tactical Comms that same turn?

4 hours ago, DerBaer said:

Would this imply RAW, that your opponent can't use his Tactical Comms when you already used your Tactical Comms that same turn?

If the campaign version were to be used in skirmish, once per round means whoever gets it first during a round gets to use it. There is nothing in the wording of the ability (or rules) that would apply separate limits of named abilities for friendly (including team-mates) and hostile armies.

I'm not a Rebels fan, but so far what I see from this wave for skirmish, I LIKE! What I like more is knowing that each small expansion also seems to come with an attachment card, meaning it can enhance something I already have. Not to mention who knows what cool command cards we'll get. In saying that, I'm quite sure we're also getting some cool new stuff with the big box. I'm hoping for a Boba Fett upgrade. He's already fun to play, but not a top tier figure at this point.

I own all of the FFG star wars games and other than Legion, I've bought almost everything. I can honestly say that Imperial Assault always seems like a great value for my money. So, for me getting the next wave makes sense. I haven't felt let down yet.

Hello! I am hoping for a little bit of help. I am having trouble choosing between Rebel Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers and Alliance Smuggler. I have the core set, twin shadows and hoth expansions with many other ally/villain packs. I also prefer the campaign. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you so much!

22 hours ago, Chugg said:

Hello! I am hoping for a little bit of help. I am having trouble choosing between Rebel Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers and Alliance Smuggler. I have the core set, twin shadows and hoth expansions with many other ally/villain packs. I also prefer the campaign. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you so much!

Well, for skirmish the smuggler brings a lot. A great, cheap objective runner and also some pretty good command cards. You can never go wrong with the smuggler. :)

However, I think the Echo base troopers are great allround additions as well. Sturdy, can shoot at range and also hits pretty hard up close.

So it depends on what other deployments that you have. Do you need more beats or are you all set in that area?

On 11/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, Chugg said:

If you're into campaign, I'd buy based on what campaign I am playing next. If you're going to do Hoth, for example, the Echo Base troopers are great. They appear in missions in both the standard campaign and the app campaign, and personally I'd much rather see them as figures than as little carboard chits.

The Rebel Troopers and Sabs both appear in side missions from the standard campaign, if I recall correctly.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, ManateeX said:

If you're into campaign, I'd buy based on what campaign I am playing next. If you're going to do Hoth, for example, the Echo Base troopers are great. They appear in missions in both the standard campaign and the app campaign, and personally I'd much rather see them as figures than as little carboard chits.

The Rebel Troopers and Sabs both appear in side missions from the standard campaign, if I recall correctly.

Thank you so much for the help and recommendations. I got the EBTs and I am psyched to get em on the battlefield.