First time playing a campaign

By Aiwendil, in Legends of the Alliance

Hello all,

I've only played the tutorial mission on the app so far and would love to soon start playing the campaign (solo). I have only recently started painting the miniatures as I think that would give the best player experience. Therefore I'm starting with painting the core set and the first wave of expansions. Before starting the campaign, I was wondering if the Flight of the Freedom Fighter is centred around the core and the first wave or if the additional expansions also make sense to have enabled for this campaign? I understand that with the latest update allies and villains from later expansions can also appear in the campaign if you enable them, I am just wondering if it makes sense thematically to have them there.

If that is the case, what would you recommend? Just start playing the campaign or wait until I've painted the miniatures from the other expansions I own as well?

1 hour ago, Aiwendil said:

I understand that with the latest update allies and villains from later expansions can also appear in the campaign if you enable them, I am just wondering if it makes sense thematically to have them there.

Not all of them make sense thematically. For instance, Greedo or Obi-Wan are clearly one with the Force at the moment the campaign take place (after the destruction of the Death Star). Others have also reported seeing Jabba showing up during the first mission (not the tutorial) that is about the rebels fleeing Yavin IV right after the DS destruction. You could maybe stretch this one like if Jabba was coming for Han, but still a bit strange he would side with the Imperials.

Other allies like rebel saboteurs, alliance rangers, rebel alliance smuggler, Chewie, Han, Leia, 3-PO, R2, etc, or villains like Kayne Somos, Agent Blaise, the bounty hunters (Fett, IG-88, Dengar, Bossk) to name a few would definitely make more sense thematically than the ones named above.

I've finished the first 2 missions (+tutorial) and we're playing with Core Set + Jabba's Realm (because Onar is one of our heroes) + some Empire-themed Villain packs, and we have seen both Jabba showing up to support the Empire and Jedi Luke bursting onto the scene in the days after the Battle Of Yavin. Still, the app REALLY likes the Jet Troopers, so that's nice :D

So yeah, I recommend you add only the few packs that makes sense for an Empire-based story set right after the Battle of Yavin :)

(We included Jabba's Realm thinking we had to if we wanted to use Onar, but that might not be necessary?)

Thanks a lot! That's really helpful! I'll probably start the campaign once I've painted the core set and the expansions that would make the most sense for appearances as well as the ones that seem the coolest. Very much looking forward to starting Imperial Assault for the first time! (after the tutorial) :)

Edited by Aiwendil

Good luck, @Aiwendil . So far the app has been fantastic for us (baring the couple of out-of-place deployments and the fact that we completely misunderstood how to read the Imperial deployment group activation window because we're stupid ;) ). Enjoy!

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, angelman2 said:

I've finished the first 2 missions (+tutorial) and we're playing with Core Set + Jabba's Realm (because Onar is one of our heroes) + some Empire-themed Villain packs, and we have seen both Jabba showing up to support the Empire and Jedi Luke bursting onto the scene in the days after the Battle Of Yavin. Still, the app REALLY likes the Jet Troopers, so that's nice :D

So yeah, I recommend you add only the few packs that makes sense for an Empire-based story set right after the Battle of Yavin :)

(We included Jabba's Realm thinking we had to if we wanted to use Onar, but that might not be necessary?)

This has been an ongoing complaint. I hope FFG tackles it. I wouldn't say it is a huge problem, but people do like thematic scenarios and the app can be a bit lore breaking. There are some packs that you can leave out by not clicking on them, but if you buy an expansion, as you said, then everything in that expansion, including tokens are in the game. I was quite shocked when Agent Blaise was listed as barging through the door, because I had never bought his pack, but then I remembered his token and card are in Bespin Gambit. I will buy Tyrants of Lothal, but I won't buy Sabine and Zeb, because I'd rather shoot myself, but they will potentially show up, because I've already seen Sabine token in the FFG announcement. Sorry to ramble, yes, it would be a nice thing to have to be able to click off individual characters you don't want to see in the app campaign.

6 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

I will buy Tyrants of Lothal, but I won't buy Sabine and Zeb, because I'd rather shoot myself...

Do you not like the characters or do you just not like buying expansion packs?

2 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I was quite shocked when Agent Blaise was listed as barging through the door, because I had never bought his pack, but then I remembered his token and card are in Bespin Gambit.

I was not aware of that possibility. So from an App point of view, when we buy the ally/villain expansion packs of characters already represented by a token in a box, we are adding nothing to the game except if a few tier I/II/III cards were given in the pack. For Agent Blaise, I wonder what's the point in telling the app you have the expansion? It adds nothing to the app since the mini came along with agenda and command cards?

6 hours ago, dwaynedauzat said:

Do you not like the characters or do you just not like buying expansion packs?

I loathe Sabine and Zeb in equal measures. Sabine got better, slightly, from the ridiculous "artsy, angsty" Mandorian... bounty hunter... at 16. Geez, Filoni, pile on the stupid, will ya. And I find Zeb just an annoying bore. I like when Maul inspects Sabine's quarters and rolls his eyes with an exacerbated look on his face, and says, "how colorful." It perfectly encapsulated my attitude on the character.

4 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I was not aware of that possibility. So from an App point of view, when we buy the ally/villain expansion packs of characters already represented by a token in a box, we are adding nothing to the game except if a few tier I/II/III cards were given in the pack. For Agent Blaise, I wonder what's the point in telling the app you have the expansion? It adds nothing to the app since the mini came along with agenda and command cards?

Well, you are correct. I don't think the app cares about any particular agenda deck as it makes modifications on the fly for Imperials. So the command cards are of no value to the app.