Magnetizing The AT-RTs Weapons (Modelling)

By Crawfskeezen, in Painting

This isn't exactly about "Painting" but I figured this would be the best place to post it.

Just put together my Core Set (very pleased about that btw) and while I was doing so I realized I'll probably be wanting to swap out the weapons on my AT-RT from game to game.

The size of the slot on the AT-RTs nose and poles atop the weapons were almost the perfect size to be compatible with 3mm x 1mm Rare Earth Magnets . I had to whittle out some the sides of the recess. It ends up being completely hidden by the front armour plating. One magnet at the top of the recess, one on top of the weapon pole (just have to make sure they're lined up in the right direction!) and it allows a perfect interchange. It also allows the gun to pivot for further articulation and flavour.

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/Crawfskeezen/media/IMG_1346_zpsofc4we3a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I'll be doing it for my second one (next core set inbound) and I'm thinking of the possibilities of trying it for the tail gun on the T-47 (when I get one) for I do like the idea of the pivoting tail gun, and the side mounts of the AT-ST. I've heard the AT-STs guns sort of just slip in and out of its side mounts so I'll see how that looks but I may magnetize the mortar launcher so I can add and remove it as necessary.

Who else is magnetizing? Any attractive ideas or polarizing suggestions that you have gravitated towards? Have they helped you repel all foes from North and Sou ... I'll see myself out.

Edited by Crawfskeezen

I don’t see the need to magnetize the guns on the airspeeder as they sit on top and don’t have the chance of falling out. Especially if you get a thin layer of paint in the slot and on the peg

I am planning to use magnets on my AT RT. I ordered a ton of 2mm magnets that I’m hoping will fit without me having to do additional drilling.

@Patteous you may be right about the airspeeder but with my luck I would tip it over and send the gun flying to the furthest corner of the universe. As long as it isn’t a terrible chore I would probably opt for the magnet.

I'll magnetize the AT-ST guns (mortar is already magnetized) once they stop fitting so bloody snugly into their holes.

2 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I am planning to use magnets on my AT RT. I ordered a ton of 2mm magnets that I’m hoping will fit without me having to do additional drilling.

@Patteous you may be right about the airspeeder but with my luck I would tip it over and send the gun flying to the furthest corner of the universe. As long as it isn’t a terrible chore I would probably opt for the magnet.

Right now I’m using poster putty to keep thing held together before I get my magnets in. Maybe just add a little bit of that to the airspeeder guns. That way it can still rotate but it’ll be fairly snug in.

Also, I ordered 1mmx2mm magnets and they fit perfectly in the peg hole. I just need to get a vise so I can hand drill out a hole to insert a pin into my weapons. If I cut a section off the weapons and put another magnet on the weapons themselves it would show below the face of the AT-RT.

Edited by Patteous
21 hours ago, Patteous said:

Also, I ordered 1mmx2mm magnets and they fit perfectly in the peg hole. I just need to get a vise so I can hand drill out a hole to insert a pin into my weapons. If I cut a section off the weapons and put another magnet on the weapons themselves it would show below the face of the AT-RT.

I did my AT RT last night. I just sanded down the post about the length of a magnet and then glued a magnet to the top of it. I ended up with one in a drilled hole in the “head” but then (ironically) the guns kept getting stuck in the AT RT without reaching the magnet so I added a second one to each gun.

I haven’t glued the headpiece to the model yet because I want to prime it seperately but dry fitting it all seems to work okay. If someone wanted to measure all the angles in the guns they might find something they don’t like but sitting in the tabletop for gaming it’s going to work fine.

i keep forgetting to take photos of stuff but I will try to post something later.

Edited by BigBadAndy
2 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I did my AT RT last night. I just sanded down the post about the length of a magnet and then glued a magnet to the top of it. I ended up with one in a drilled hole in the “head” but then (ironically) the guns kept getting stuck in the AT RT without reaching the magnet so I added a second one to each gun.

I haven’t glued the headpiece to the model yet because I want to prime it seperately but dry fitting it all seems to work okay. If someone wanted to measure all the angles in the guns they might find something they don’t like but sitting in the tabletop for gaming it’s going to work fine.

i keep forgetting to take photos of stuff but I will try to post something later.

Ah. I’m dealing with having mine fully put together and glued to the base.

1 hour ago, Patteous said:

Ah. I’m dealing with having mine fully put together and glued to the base.

Hm... that’s going to make it a bit tougher because you probably couldn’t get a drill into the right position to do the model. You could always not drill into the “head” shield piece (after fussing with it for an hour my magnet didn’t get flush anyway. I like the idea of the metal rod. What are you using? A paper clip?

As an aside, the magnets definitely don’t show in my build. When thebmodel is together but they are obvious and probably not super attractive when the guns are out.

Edited by BigBadAndy
1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

Hm... that’s going to make it a bit tougher because you probably couldn’t get a drill into the right position to do the model. You could always not drill into the “head” shield piece (after fussing with it for an hour my magnet didn’t get flush anyway. I like the idea of the metal rod. What are you using? A paper clip?

As an aside, the magnets definitely don’t show in my build. When thebmodel is together but they are obvious and probably not super attractive when the guns are out.

I glued my magnet straight into the hole for the guns to fit. I need a vise before I can take my hand drill to the guns to bore a hole for paper clips.