Probability Calculator

By Qark, in Star Wars: Legion

Yeah, basically dice calculators give you averages. With that info, you can opt for better choices for your army.

Using @Qark 's app, I've discovered that the E-5s 1R1W Critical 1 (the new "sniper" weapon for B1s) is better than E-5C 3B in the most important situations. Just looking at it without any calculations, I wouldn't be so certain of that!

6 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

doesn't this sap all the excitement from the game if you know what is going to happen most if not all the time?

Not at all! Knowing the probabilities helps you make good decisions, which in my opinion increases the excitement of the game compared to firing blindly.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:37 PM, Qark said:

Hi everyone. I have written a probability calculator for legion using C#

I have not thanked you for this yet, but I absolutely love this program. Thank you so much for doing this Andrew!

Hi everyone. I have had a request from a user of the calculator to update it for observation tokens. Are there any other mechanics that I have missed that I should do at the same time? Marksman and lethal come to mind.

force barrier. reduces attack pools by 2 hits or 1 crit. you could just make it a variable though that reduces an attack pool by either X hits or X crits. that way it can cover all potential rules that reduce the total number of hits/crits that dont fall into the categories of being either armor or cover.

also outmaneuver maybe? I dont see a tick box for that.

Edited by Khobai

3 hours ago, Qark said:

Hi everyone. I have had a request from a user of the calculator to update it for observation tokens. Are there any other mechanics that I have missed that I should do at the same time? Marksman and lethal come to mind.

Maybe I'm using an older version, but when I was using it the other day Impervious was not in there.

7 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Maybe I'm using an older version, but when I was using it the other day Impervious was not in there.

Impervious is in the current version.

27 minutes ago, Qark said:

Impervious is in the current version.

Excellent, I figured maybe I missed it. Thank you!

Hi everyone. The latest version is now available via the links in the original post. A few comments on new changes and how they are handled by the calculator:

1. Lethal - I haven't included lethal in the calculator. Mechanically lethal is either pierce or an aim token. Working out which is the better option isn't something I am going to program. You can use the existing functionality to work out the averages of each option in any given case.
  2. Marksman - Like lethal marksman allows an attacker with an aim token a choice of how to spend it. Working out the best case based on the individual roll isn't something I am going to program. Instead if you set marksman to 1 and aims to 1 the calculator will always use the aim for marksman. If you set marksman to 2 and aims to 1, one token will be used for marksman. If you set aims to 2 and marksman to 1 one aim will be used to reroll and then one aim will be used to marksman. Marksman upgrades misses to hits before it tries to upgrade hits to crits. I know this isn't ideal in some cases.
  3. Outmaneuver - Should work fine.
  4. Observation tokens - Works fine. Used after aim tokens. Won't crit fish. (Aims currently don't crit fish against armour either).
  5. Force Barrier - Armour, cover, etc is applied first then any remaining hits are reduced, if there are no hits to reduce then crits are reduced instead. I liked @Khobai 's idea of the variable damage reduction but I just didn't have time to implement that in the few hours I managed to find to do this.
  6. A reset button, just for @Vector Strike

Did some basic testing but double check for yourself and let me know if there are any problems.

Here is the .exe link again if you need it: https://github.com/andrew-s-hart/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator/raw/main/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator-master/LegionCalculator/LegionCalculator.exe

10 minutes ago, Qark said:

Hi everyone. The latest version is now available via the links in the original post. A few comments on new changes and how they are handled by the calculator:

1. Lethal - I haven't included lethal in the calculator. Mechanically lethal is either pierce or an aim token. Working out which is the better option isn't something I am going to program. You can use the existing functionality to work out the averages of each option in any given case.
  2. Marksman - Like lethal marksman allows an attacker with an aim token a choice of how to spend it. Working out the best case based on the individual roll isn't something I am going to program. Instead if you set marksman to 1 and aims to 1 the calculator will always use the aim for marksman. If you set marksman to 2 and aims to 1, one token will be used for marksman. If you set aims to 2 and marksman to 1 one aim will be used to reroll and then one aim will be used to marksman. Marksman upgrades misses to hits before it tries to upgrade hits to crits. I know this isn't ideal in some cases.
  4. Observation tokens - Works fine. Used after aim tokens. Won't crit fish. (Aims currently don't crit fish against armour either).
  5. Force Barrier - Armour, cover, etc is applied first then any remaining hits are reduced, if there are no hits to reduce then crits are reduced instead. I liked @Khobai 's idea of the variable damage reduction but I just didn't have time to implement that in the few hours I managed to find to do this.

Did some basic testing but double check for yourself and let me know if there are any problems.

Here is the .exe link again if you need it: https://github.com/andrew-s-hart/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator/raw/main/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator-master/LegionCalculator/LegionCalculator.exe

Wow, the one I was using was really old. Thank you for what you do!

9 hours ago, Qark said:

Doing God's work, man! Thanks a lot for this!