Playthrough examples for a new GM

By FrogTrigger, in Game Masters

Just curious if anyone can recommend some good playthrough examples either video or podcast, but video preferred so I can see examples of how people interpret the dice, how the GM runs the game etc..

I would also prefer if it was specific to the SW RPG, but if there are others you can suggest from other gaming systems that are high quality/good examples that would be great to.

Critical Role seems to be the best quality I can find so far.. is there anything close to this involving the SW RPG?

If you want podcasts, I would say Dice for Brains or Silhouette Zero. Both are awesome ways to immerse yourself in the game and see how a GM would work the system.

While watching others play might be useful, there is nothing like learning by doing. The beginner boxes are perfect for this, they go through the rules step by step.

3 minutes ago, whafrog said:

While watching others play might be useful, there is nothing like learning by doing. The beginner boxes are perfect for this, they go through the rules step by step.

Fair enough, however my group won't be able to start for a few months, so I am just trying to do research/plan/stay interested while I wait :)

Edited by FrogTrigger

If you want EotE specific examples, you can do worse than listening to Campaign on the one shot pod cast.

Whilst it is a little on the humourous side and they don't stick to the rules as written, especially in the early episodes, it is a brilliant example of GMing and how to interpret the dice rolls of the system.

I would recommend trying the Yogscast "Games Night" channel and look at what they did. They aren't mega strict rule followers, but they still follow all the important rules and the GM does a good job with herding the cats that are the PC's. The language can be foul and some of the jokes are a bit cringy at times, but overall I liked it, personally. They do quite a bit of roleplay on the channel and once you get past the terrible jokes its actually pretty good.

I enjoy the Hydian Way podcasts. Heroes of the Hydian Way being the actual-play.

I agree with @SirSaiCo that Campaign is awesome. Those cats are really funny and their style of banter has influenced my GMing quite a lot. The way they hand the voicing if NPCs to other players has worked out great for my group, cutting player downtime by a bunch.