Anyone done Sand weathering?

By Galahax, in Painting

Of course we've seen lots of tutorials on dirt/grime/mud, but i'm wondering what anyone has done for weathering fx for Tatooine vehicles?

For my bases I've been using Vallejo's grey sand paste, and topping that off with citadels Sepia wash. To me its a great look, but only for a base. I wouldn't put that on a vehicle, I don't think it would look quite right.

I've used the Vallejo grey pumice mixed with paint to weather small scale vehicles (15mm). It ends up giving a nice texture to the paint, but they end up looking quite muddy.

I would look at the Vallejo powders. Put them on (in excess) and then hit them with clear coat to seal them.

I'll admit I'm a little ignorant. What do you mean by "sand weathering"?

Do you have any pics as examples?

50 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I'll admit I'm a little ignorant. What do you mean by "sand weathering"?

Do you have any pics as examples?

This is sort of what i had in mind, looking at the tires and I suppose the rust as well. I'm working on the AT-RT at the moment and was wondering if other people have been applying a "beat-up desert" look to their minis.

1317642989.jpg

For the dirt on the tires, I'd say use a Desert Yellow type color and water it down a lot then apply it as a wash. The chipping/rusting isn't something that I've tried personally but there are plenty of how-to videos on Youtube about applying paint chipping. Some use brushes, some use sponges. I tried a bit of sponge "chipping" on my first AT-RT if you want to check that out.