Comparisons

By David Spangler, in Cosmic Encounter

When we got the first Eon version years ago, my wife and I became hugh CE fans for a time. In fact, it was the one game I could reliably get my wife to play (since she's become enamored of Robo Rally). A few years ago she got me the Avalon Hill version of CE, but while it had terrific production values, for some reason it didn't grab us and we haven't played it that much. Actually, not at all for some years now.

I'm thinking of getting her the new FFG version for Christmas but I know she's going to say, "But we already have a copy that I got you." I'd like to have some good answers ready!

So how does this new FFG version compare with the old AH version with its Geiger-inspired aliens and motherships? Is it really an improvement, or is it so similar that once you have one version, you don't need any others? (I know it's the same game with the same rules, but I'm just wondering if there's enough goodness or difference in the new FFG edition to put down $60+ for something we already have in a different version.)

Thanks!

1. 125% more aliens (50 total), including wacky ones like Masochist (wins game when all ships are in warp) and Human (+4 all the time, wins encounter instantly when zapped). The AH version had, like 20 aliens? And none of them had real flash if I remember correctly.
  2. Flares. AH had no Flares, I believe. You've played Eon, so you should know that Flares are teh cool.
  3. Tech, a new gameplay element. Manage your ships well to earn extra mini-powers, such as an extra ship worth 3 and a sixth planet for your home system. (Optional)
  4. Just-as-high production values. Alien art is FAR more varied than those everyone's-a-humanoid-cyborg AH versions. Cards are pretty detailed and leave room for future expansions. The board may be seperate planets instead of a single piece, but it gives a lot more flexibility.

Yes, AH had 20 aliens ... 15 of which were from the original set in 1978. So, 22 years later, it was sort of like buying the same game with better production values. The rulebook almost perfectly mimicked the original Eon effort, too, with some minor changes and clarifications.

And, no, there were no flares.

Worst of all: no support. No expansions, no articles on the website (I remember one article total), no indication that AH, frankly, gave a **** about the game.

This is all helpful...thanks everyone.