Another random paintlog

By Attackmack, in Painting

Cleaned up thread and removed scrap pictures :)

EmIyEaf.jpg

t1jZVEi.jpg

Edited by Soulless

One final picture before I begin adding ice and snow effects, something ive never done before so might actually end up ruining the model <_<

Worst case scenario, this is turned into a terrain/objective piece...

Edited by Soulless

Solid effort

Suggestion ... grab some random plastic and test the ice and snow effects a few times before approaching the model?

I may or may not have ruined a lot of work doing something for a first time on a project without any testing. That lesson is learned once

10 minutes ago, Dash Two said:

Solid effort

Suggestion ... grab some random plastic and test the ice and snow effects a few times before approaching the model?

I may or may not have ruined a lot of work doing something for a first time on a project without any testing. That lesson is learned once

That is good advice! I will be doing some tests before I let loose on the model for sure, in fact im already trying different ways to make icicles :)

@Soulless ... I now have 5 test IA minis and a box of scrap plastic items. The IA minis get test primed and painted or just test primed and, then, dumped in Green Stuff to start over. My plastic items primed and, then, different techniques or paints or rattle can effects applied to them.

Like I said it is a lesson you learn once.

Frost and ice underway! Still needs more details to blend the ice into the model better, and then a little painting. I looks pretty bad right now, kind of messy and cluttered, but I think I can get it to a decent end result!

Edited by Soulless

I'm super impressed with your weathering.

15 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I'm super impressed with your weathering.

Thank you!

I messed up the post pictures but they are back now, sadly I think some of the weathering became less noticable as I applied the frost to the model but I will likely go over the weathering a bit more before finished.

34 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Thank you!

I messed up the post pictures but they are back now, sadly I think some of the weathering became less noticable as I applied the frost to the model but I will likely go over the weathering a bit more before finished.

Alright man.. i gotta know, how did you do that frost effect?? It looks great.

Awesome!

I feel cold just looking at it!!

Stay Frosty!

For being the first time I try out snow and ice Im satisfied with the results. Im not sure Im happy enough that I will do this to any more models though so its possible Ill leave this in the cabinet as a showpiece and get a second ATST :/

In any case, now Ive tried it :D

Edited by Soulless
21 hours ago, oddeye said:

Alright man.. i gotta know, how did you do that frost effect?? It looks great.

The snow powder im using is Krycells Extra from "Precision Ice and Snow".

It is applied in layers to build up as much of an effect as you would want, with only a single layer giving a frost effect or a very very thin powder snow.

2 hours ago, Soulless said:

Stay Frosty!

For being the first time I try out snow and ice Im satisfied with the results. Im not sure Im happy enough that I will do this to any more models though so its possible Ill leave this in the cabinet as a showpiece and get a second ATST :/

Works for me dude, play that bad boy! Although I know where you're coming from - it took me a few seconds to decide I liked it :P

It's always a risk when you try something new - especially if you're really pleased with the current model. I'm having the same concerns about weathering my speeder...

9 hours ago, The Penguin UK said:

Works for me dude, play that bad boy! Although I know where you're coming from - it took me a few seconds to decide I liked it :P

It's always a risk when you try something new - especially if you're really pleased with the current model. I'm having the same concerns about weathering my speeder...

That is kind of you!

yeah i was indee very satisfied with the model before the snow and after testing the snow on a test model i was so confident it would work great.

but the ATST is so much bigger then the testmodel (bolt action sherman) and the results did not turn out as i wanted.

Another issue right now is that i want a uniform army but considering the amount of work i put into this for a less satisfactry result I dont think I want to do this for my entire army.

So thats why I think this might become just a showcase piece.

i need to think about it for a while :)

I have to applaud you for taking a HUGE chance!

its a really cool effect. Not sure vehicle should have so many icicles in places that move a lot, like guns, but overall I think it is pretty cool:)

On 2018-04-06 at 3:11 PM, Lord Ashram said:

I have to applaud you for taking a HUGE chance!

its a really cool effect. Not sure vehicle should have so many icicles in places that move a lot, like guns, but overall I think it is pretty cool:)

Thank you.

It probably wouldnt, and the icicles wouldnt be the size these are but I wanted something eyecatching so made them bigger and placed them in spots to make them as visible as possible!

Lesson learned though as it might be eyecatching but not as intended :D

In any case I decided to get a second ATST which I might still add frost effects to but i wont be adding ice and snow to it. Whatever I do its gonna be more subtle and simple.

Edited by Soulless

Impressive!! Not sure how it'll look on a desert map though. :P

11 minutes ago, Thraug said:

I'm sure it will look cool...

heh, heh, heh.... :D

8 hours ago, Thraug said:

They've simply turbo-charged their air-conditioning!

Ive removed some scrap pics that needlessly took up space, gonna try and restrict myself to only finished or nearly finished minis!

Second ATST painted and done for now as I figure out what to do; stick with the winter/frost theme or do something less destructive for the models :D

Stormtroopers are up next.

XaeTYgj.jpg

Edited by Soulless

Finally got my stormtroopers finished but I just cant paint white...Two attempts, with paint stripped inbetween, and I just dont have the skill or patience for getting a clean and tidy finish. White....Of all the colors in all of the world they had to be white... But ya know what, at "table distance" they look good :D

Ive still not decided what to do with my bases so for now they are just brown mud.

K0Sx8FB.jpg

14 hours ago, Soulless said:

Finally got my stormtroopers finished but I just cant paint white...

Looking pretty fine to me!

I think you are being way too hard in your icy AT-ST. It looks amazing to me.

4 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I think you are being way too hard in your icy AT-ST. It looks amazing to me.

That kind of you and makes me happy :)