Legion - The Scale Question Answered

By Asmo, in Star Wars: Legion

What Scale is Legion?

The following references were used to create this guide http://scalecalculator.appspot.com/figurescale

StarWars.com Databank

Wookiepedia

I will be using the metric system to measure miniature height and scale. The metric system is more accurate. Star Wars universe uses the metric system. If you don’t live in the USA, Liberia and Myanmar, then you use the metric system. The metric system is easier and my maths ability is average at best. The scale listed was rounded to the nearest millimetre.

The Star Wars Databank is the primary source of a unit’s real measurement, with Wookiepedia used as a backup and cross reference.

I don’t own an Air Speeder yet, so its data is missing, sorry.

Don’t want to read any further and want to know what scale Legion is? The answer is 1:46

Stormtroopers

Miniature: 40mm (average height based on crouching and kneeling positions)

StarWars.com Databank: 1.83m

Scale: 1:46

The Star Wars Databank has Stormtroopers at 1.83m on average; Wookiepedia does not list a height. A few assumptions made about Stormtroopers – Stormtrooper’s average 1.83m tall, the Unit Leader could be slightly taller than the other miniatures. All the regular Stormtroopers are in some kind of crouching or kneeling position. Luke is too short to be a Stormtrooper at 1.72m.

Darth Vader

Miniature: 45mm high

StarWars.com Databank: 2.03m

Scale: 1:45

Regardless of using 2.03m or 2.02m height, Darth Vader’s scale is at 1:45. If the Stormtrooper scale is correct then it is not out of the ordinary for manufacturers to make the hero figures slightly larger in scale than regular troops anyway.

74-Z Speeder Bike

Miniature: 85mm long

Star Wars Databank: 3.2m

Scale: 1:38 or maybe it actually is 1:46

The 74-Z Speeder is a problem or is it? According to the Star Wars Databank the 74-Z Speeder Bike is 3.2m long. In Wookiepedia it is listed at 3m, 4.4m and 4.9m. No matter which "official" length you use the Speeder Bike never gets near the scale of the figures. At 1:46 scale the Speeder Bike is 3.9m long which is very close to the average (3.875m) of the four measurements listed from the reference sources – maybe the model makers at FFG were onto something.

Rebel Troopers

Miniature: 40mm (average height based on crouching and kneeling positions)

StarWars.com Databank: Not Listed

Neither the Star Wars Databank or Wookiepedia lists a height for the Rebel Troopers. For simplicity sake I am going to assume a 1.83m height. The Rebel Trooper poses are similar to the Stormtrooper’s in that the Unit Leader is standing straight and the regular troopers are in some kind of crouching position.

Luke Skywalker

Miniature: 36mm (approx. 37mm standing tall)

Star Wars Databank: 1.72m

Luke is in a slightly crouched position I have given him a little boost in height to 37mm and then he is the same scale as the trooper models at 1:46 scale. If you would rather use his 36mm height then he is slightly smaller in scale at 1:48.

AT-RT

Miniature: 75mm (without rider)

Star Wars Databank: 3.45m

The AT-RT measured without the rider comes in perfectly at 1:46 scale.

AT-ST

Miniature: Varies in height

Star Wars Databank: 8.6m

The AT-ST is posable and no two AT-STs will be the same height. The AT-ST is listed at 8.6m tall. My AT-ST is 178mm tall (I wanted both legs glued to the base for stability so went with a static pose). Since nearly all the other figures are at 1:46 scale, then the height of an AT-ST is 187mm at 1:46 scale. You can easily build your AT-ST to 187mm tall and it does look right.

Data Set

Figure Mini Height

Trooper Leader 41mm

SW03 37mm

SW04 39mm

SW05 40mm

SW06 39mm

DLT-19 40mm

HH-12 31mm

Speeder Bike 85mm long

Darth Vader 45mm

Rebel Leader 40mm

SW010 37mm

SW011 38mm

SW012 39mm

SW013 38mm

Ion Trooper 38mm

Z-6 Trooper 36mm

AT-RT 75mm

Luke 36mm

AT-ST* 178mm

* The AT-ST is posable and can vary in height

Edited by Asmo
fixed typo's

Good work! I had estimated it as 1/48, so I wasn't too far out.

Very good work, however it doesn't seem to tell the full story though like why stormtrooper minis from ia are so much bulkier with very close to the same height while rebels can and have interchanged parts .......

Is it possible there is some "heroic" exaggeration going on there somewhere other than height?

4 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Is it possible there is some "heroic" exaggeration going on there somewhere other than height?

Quite so. Very few manufacturers use the proper proportions even when they are working to a height scale - wargames figures tend to be broader with thicker limbs, bigger hands and heads and bigger weapons (!!!) than true scale figures. Part of it is practical - to avoid breakages at the ankles, broken weapons, etc; and part of it is aesthetic - making it look right when the right proportions look odd.

My question is whether Leia will be her proper height in comparison to the other characters.

15 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My question is whether Leia will be her proper height in comparison to the other characters.

I am more concerned about the correct scale of her other attributes... ahem i.e. scale of her blaster ;D

Well...there is always the IA Hoth version to go with her Hoth Rebels :)

Great work chief, but I'll have to disagree a bit - the most upright Rebels(the leader and the female "aiming" pose) only measure around 37mm, not 40mm, and if you take 37mm as equivalent to a "scale human" at 1.8m tall that makes the FFG T-47 model pretty much spot-on - someone on FB took a digital caliper measurement for me of the main hull at 98.6mm long, with the 37mm assumption it "should" be ~108.9mm, which is accounted for in the addition of the protruding portions of the laser cannons - so they come out more like 1:48 scale.

But then, it seems like the various SW models out there have a very, very loose relationship between their stated scale, and what size the model should actually be in that scale - the Bandai 1:48 Snowspeeder for example is noticeably larger than the FFG one, and it's possible to modify the Revell 1:44 scale Resistance RZ-2 A-Wing to be an almost spot-on sized RZ-1 A-Wing by reworking elements of it around the front section of the cockpit, despite the RZ-2 only supposedly being about 2/3 of a metre longer than the RZ-1(and the RZ-2 model being ~220mm compared to ~144mm for "Legion Scale" RZ-1).

I'll be trying to get actual measurements of any kits I'm thinking of buying rather than relying on the stated scales and working based on that 37mm=1.8m assumption as my baseline, but TBH at this rate I think proper accuracy-junkie types are just going to have to scratchbuild. I'm actually considering buying one of those craft cutter machines to transfer papercraft templates onto plasticard more easily.