Leia backing up rebel troopers = action economy

By HanScottFirst, in Army Building

So,

I think Leia paired with two basic Rebel troopers could be really strong. The action economy with Leia's "Take Cover 2" (assign a dodge token to two different units at range 1) and the Trooper's "Nimble" (assign a dodge token after spending one) seems insane.

I have not played on a table yet, so I could be off base, but I feel a permanent dodge courtesy of "nimble" is better than rolling a defense die, even a red die (i.e. stormtroopers. The idea is that in x-wing, an evade token is better than rolling an extra green die 90% of the time).

So, use Leia, give the troopers a permanent dodge, freeing the troopers to move and shoot, or aim and shoot. Aiming with an A-280 just seems lights out. Or throw in a z-6 and scopes, and reroll 3 dice out of ten, while still having a dodge from Leia/nimble!

Edited by HanScottFirst

Yeah, this seems like a no-brainer - one of the first thing I'll test with Leia is Esteemed Leader and two full units of Rebels right beside her (by full I mean 5 troopers and z6 trooper). Still, that dodge won't stop suppression, and we have to consider that Leia would already activate, so her Inspire 2 wouldn't activate until next turn.

Actually, Inspire might be even more beneficial than Take Cover, and since Leia has Nimble herself i'd assume she will often put one of those tokens on herself, activating mid-turn (with the exception of turn 1, when she goes first, run into beneficial LOS position, takes cover and than commands a bombardment :)

Yep Leia is really strong supporting troopers. We got to use her in the team tournament at Adepticon and she was able to keep a side locked down with two units and then her command card let us get just enough extra movement with her and a unit to race to the objective on the last turn.

She also smacked the opponent's Luke pretty hard in melee ?

19 hours ago, HanScottFirst said:

I have not played on a table yet, so I could be off base, but I feel a permanent dodge courtesy of "nimble" is better than rolling a defense die, even a red die (i.e. stormtroopers. The idea is that in x-wing, an evade token is better than rolling an extra green die 90% of the time).

unless the unit is being attacked by the enemies entire force youll probably only get 2 uses out of your dodge. once you have suppression its just not worth the enemy firing at that unit.

8 hours ago, bageldrone said:

unless the unit is being attacked by the enemies entire force youll probably only get 2 uses out of your dodge. once you have suppression its just not worth the enemy firing at that unit.

It might sometimes be a question of forcing the enemy into having only a series of terrible choices. FFG video series had a good example of this, where one rebel trooper squad deliberately exposes themselves to draw fire that might otherwise have a jucier target.